Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"Circuit City Security system install"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2007, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the thing I don't think most people get it. Why would you let someone work on your 30k+ car and not research where to have it done. It sounds like you had it done in St. Louis, Thats actually where I am from and a installer at a local Best Buy. I have a 4 man crew at my shop, all have a min experience in car audio and security for over 7 years. All of us are MECP certified. I have people all the time ask us our experience, how we were trained, if we are covered with insurance. You should really ask a few things before you drop off your car or even buy something. I find it hard to think they cleared your key code, probably a bad unit or relay with unit. I don't know if CC soliders their connections or not. We do but I see alot of T-Taps around this area. Hopefully it's a relay and not that the shorted out something. Just remember you pay for what you get, why go cheap on your car b/c mopst of the time it ends up costing you more in the long run.

By the way who ever said that big retailers don't care. What store really does, its ALWAYS about money however I value my job. If you get a damage claim you run a very sting chance of getting fired. I take pride in my installs, plus I don't want to deal with pist off customers so I do it right so they don't come back. Also **** happens, seen starters go out in cars while putting a radio in, that doesn't mean it had anything to do with anything. Hope it works out for ya. If you get it squared away and want someone with expereince with the car to work on it, check out the BB in Crestwood.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:57 AM

Found out the problem.. The shop says the grounding wire from the EMS was cut... My EVO is fixed and I'm a happy man =)

Well somewhat... Anyone think it is unreasonable to ask for a CD player as compensation from this incident? By the way Best Buy/ Circuit City is apples and oranges to me.. I mean both to me are big corporations which I assumed would have training and tough standards to adhere to for working at CC....

Thanks guys

Unds
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:19 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SqEvoVIII
Here's the thing I don't think most people get it. Why would you let someone work on your 30k+ car and not research where to have it done. It sounds like you had it done in St. Louis, Thats actually where I am from and a installer at a local Best Buy. I have a 4 man crew at my shop, all have a min experience in car audio and security for over 7 years. All of us are MECP certified. I have people all the time ask us our experience, how we were trained, if we are covered with insurance. You should really ask a few things before you drop off your car or even buy something. I find it hard to think they cleared your key code, probably a bad unit or relay with unit. I don't know if CC soliders their connections or not. We do but I see alot of T-Taps around this area. Hopefully it's a relay and not that the shorted out something. Just remember you pay for what you get, why go cheap on your car b/c mopst of the time it ends up costing you more in the long run.

By the way who ever said that big retailers don't care. What store really does, its ALWAYS about money however I value my job. If you get a damage claim you run a very sting chance of getting fired. I take pride in my installs, plus I don't want to deal with pist off customers so I do it right so they don't come back. Also **** happens, seen starters go out in cars while putting a radio in, that doesn't mean it had anything to do with anything. Hope it works out for ya. If you get it squared away and want someone with expereince with the car to work on it, check out the BB in Crestwood.
WTF? I am pretty sure everyone that does any kinda of install will say the same crap you just said. "experience in car audio and security for over 7 years" what shop anywhere would say "no we sux at install, dont come to us"

C'on get off your high horse
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unds_85
I figured he blew a fuse or something or relay to the turbo
hahahaha
im sorry, but thats funny
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by unds_85
MRCole thanks for the help the location of CC is 2926 South Lindbergh BLVD Saint Louis, MO 63125-4219 and the store number is # 530 I had installed a Hornet 740t. Now the Manager who I had a problem with was the operations manager, his name was Chris... Now CC did not do anything wrong in his eyes, now circuit city is paying for the tow and work done at the dealership but it was a huge fiasco...

I'm still waiting on an update from the dealer regarding the car's status hopefully early this afternoon...

I will leave an update as soon as I find out whats going on..

Unds
Hey glad i could help with you. Being up on the food chain of cc, i know the processes. You have to understand that, as an ops manager, you do not want to lose any money, but, in this case if i was him, i would totally agree with you. And like the other sblvro said, talk to someone in the roadshop.

Being in roadshop for 3 years helps me know and being with the company for almost 5 years now, i have my contacts. You can also escalate(sp? its late!) to the cc cool line if you are not satisfied.

Glad to hear the problem is fixed, and like SqEvoVIII said, every shop is different both cc/bby do not require MECP certification to work on cars, but when i ran the shop we paid our guys to take the test and hung our plaques by the desk in the shop.

Find the right retail shop and you are set. Let me know if i can do anything else.

PS: Braceyoself777, corporate will just call the store to have the issue resolved and you are back at square one. Plus, Phill Schoonover, CEO of Ccity, probably will not respond to email, and will not talk to anyone really outside of the company, but i do have his email.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

So, i just re-read my post and my thoughts were all over the place, i hope it makes sense. Give me a break, i work retail, long days!
Old Jul 7, 2007, 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

Why would anyone go to CC for anything install related? They fire all the top paid guys usually the ones who are better at the job.

I was an installer for 14 years or so at various shops, including my own for awhile and I would never work at either of the 2 stores. I talked to someone at BB and they paid 9 bucks an hour, F*** that. The last company I worked for I made almost 80 grand last year.

As far as MECP goes, I think it is a huge joke. I have gone through almost all there classes and certificates and I *might* use 3% of what they had to say. If anything it was a waste of time. The biggest thing it did for me was help in salary negotiaion, but not much.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

I installed at circuit city for 3 years. I had a general knowledge about things when they hired me, not even close to an expert, but the other people that worked there were very knowledgeable and it taught me a lot. After they left I taught the new generation. If there is no one to teach the other they are screwed cause I never knew anyone who worked there who attended classes.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dennis F
Why would anyone go to CC for anything install related? They fire all the top paid guys usually the ones who are better at the job.
Ok, just an FYI, no installers from my district were fired from the mass lay off. There may have been 5 in the whole company, but none that i know of.

And please, do not comment on stupid things when you think you know something. You have no idea why people were let go, other than "they made alot of money."

Why would i pay someone $15 an hour to put cd's away? When i can pay 2 people at starting pay of $7.50 and they will be more productive. yeah, that's what i thought, from a business perspective, it makes more sense, so please, shut up.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
this happened to me a while back but it was on a brake job, I complained all the way to their company headquarters, after the dealer gave me the bill they then FedEx me the check.
if you complain to their boss's boss then they will take care of it, even if the whole electrical system needs to be replaced

trust me

only take this advice if they really did it, and you are 100% sure they fu**ed it up.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same alarm put in my ralliart in NC with no problems.