Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

boosted for the first time! WOW!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
boosted for the first time! WOW!

There are no words to describe what I felt. Keep in mind, I'm new to this car and I came from an old 20 second Corolla, heh.

I started at night clearing the road for cops, while warming the car up. All the stoplights refused to turn red, so I just stopped at one of them and proceeded to floor it from 1st to 3rd gear (no launches, too afraid at this point). I'm used to a 3k shift from the break-in, so I was itchin' to feel the G's at higher rpm's.

As soon as first gear hit 3500rpms, I heard the turbo spooling up and me being pushed back into my seat! Quick shift to 2nd and the same thing--it felt like taking off and being lifted into the air on an airplane! The steering was so responsive even at high speeds!

It's 3am and I'm dying to do it again tomorrow. How often do you guys boost a day/week? Am I wearing the car down a lot by boosting or is the car just made to boost frequently?

Last edited by Thoe99; Jun 26, 2003 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: boosted for the first time! WOW!

Originally posted by Thoe99
How often do you guys boost a day/week? Am I wearing the car down a lot by boosting or is the car just made to boost frequently?
LOL!!! OMG! Is that a serious question because I would expect to hear that from my 13 year old sister but not a fellow evo owner! After the break in period, you're supposed to "boost" every gear every time you drive...it is NOT bad for the car after it breaks in...
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Haha, nice! Exactly what I wanted to hear! I can see how addicting this is, haha.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

yeah the car was MADE to be driven HARD....don't worry at all lol
Old Jun 26, 2003, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

a few people have taken their cars to the track (road course), where basically for 20-35 minutes at a time the car is either floored (full boost), or hard on the brakes..... no coasting, no 3000rpm gear changes...... and the cars survived so far.

Have fun with it!
Old Jun 26, 2003, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

give me an evo ill break it for sure
Old Jun 26, 2003, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

I hope to boost someday
Old Jun 26, 2003, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: boosted for the first time! WOW!

Originally posted by the evo wins

LOL!!! OMG! Is that a serious question because I would expect to hear that from my 13 year old sister but not a fellow evo owner! After the break in period, you're supposed to "boost" every gear every time you drive...it is NOT bad for the car after it breaks in...
Evo wins,

Hope you swapped that air intake back to stock so you can answer this question properly.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Re: boosted for the first time! WOW!

Originally posted by Thoe99
There are no words to describe what I felt. Keep in mind, I'm new to this car and I came from an old 20 second Corolla, heh.

I started at night clearing the road for cops, while warming the car up. All the stoplights refused to turn red, so I just stopped at one of them and proceeded to floor it from 1st to 3rd gear (no launches, too afraid at this point). I'm used to a 3k shift from the break-in, so I was itchin' to feel the G's at higher rpm's.

As soon as first gear hit 3500rpms, I heard the turbo spooling up and me being pushed back into my seat! Quick shift to 2nd and the same thing--it felt like taking off and being lifted into the air on an airplane! The steering was so responsive even at high speeds!

It's 3am and I'm dying to do it again tomorrow. How often do you guys boost a day/week? Am I wearing the car down a lot by boosting or is the car just made to boost frequently?
Sorry but you truly haven't boosted for the 1st time until you swap out that restrictive downpipe ... doing this will allow you to boost higher and more steadily to redline = big difference ... also you can hear the turbo spooling much more clearly. Anyway, sorry to tell u the truth in that there is indeed more to be had ... and it's only a pipe a away! Congrats on your 1st boost rush anyway.

Last edited by evo1; Jun 26, 2003 at 06:36 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Re: boosted for the first time! WOW!

planning to do it today

Originally posted by evo1

Evo wins,

Hope you swapped that air intake back to stock so you can answer this question properly.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Scot
a few people have taken their cars to the track (road course), where basically for 20-35 minutes at a time the car is either floored (full boost), or hard on the brakes..... no coasting, no 3000rpm gear changes...... and the cars survived so far.
When I autocrossed mine for the first time, the car was near redline in 1st gear for almost a solid minute. 5500 - 7500 RPM for much of the course. Only a few seconds in 2nd gear.

As long as the engine is maintained correctly, it will do fine at high revs, and it will do fine at low revs.

One think to watch -- never shut the engine down immediately after a high-rev run. The turbo will be very hot and should really be allowed to cool down for a while before shutting it off -- I normally make sure that the last 1 or 2 minutes before shutting the engine down are done below 3000 RPM. For me, this means driving gently for the last 1/2 mile or so.

If you drive around making full use of your boost a lot, your biggest worry shouldn't be your engine's health -- it should be Mr. Patrolman.