Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo on a budget?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
huhu....jbrennan. true, It's all about your point of reference.

But I wasn't inferring anything about the Volvo's 0-60, roadholding or overall performance. I just made a comment regarding the demographic of people who buy Volvos. And you upheld that comment by saying that the Volvo you have is actually your wifes.....my girlfriend would kill to have an S70.... :P

SC~
Old Jun 26, 2003, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

SC, soo true,, I'd feel like a dork in a volvo tryin to wear my sunglasses and drive agressivly,,, I'd prolly look like a kid driving his moms car.

Image definatly has its part in my decision to buy this car.. its got SOO manythings going for it though
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
And you upheld that comment by saying that the Volvo you have is actually your wifes...
Yes it is hers. But I talked her into it. Her first choice was a Camry. If Toyota had offered a 236 HP Camry, things might have been different.

There was a time I was seriously considering trading in my '94 RX-7 for a Lexus SC400. That's another old man's car, but a really nice one... If it had been cheaper, I'd probably have made the swap. If I find one in Bordeaux Pearl with low miles, I may still buy one.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Just so you know what you're getting into, an Evo is a terrible winter car unless you get snows for the winter. The stock advans are dry weather only, Autoweek managed to slide their test evo into a freeway guardrail when only a light dusting of snow covered the ground. So budget in around 500 for a nice set of snow tires.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

I had planned on keeping the stock rims for my "snow tires" and getting some newer rims for the summer

In alaska snow tires, or studded tires are pretty much manditory
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Also, pretty much nothing will fit around the stock brakes except for some pretty expensive rims. Also the stock rims are on the heavy side but pretty good, if you're putting cheap rims on in the summer you're doing the car a disservice IMO.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

I'm single and i make 1076.92 a week

needless to say i got cash to blow

I had figured that 3500 in rims would get me a nice set of 18-20" rims and tires for the summer driving,

though im not sure if i want to dump all of my "mod money" into rims

but hell, i dont even own the car yet.. lol
Old Jun 26, 2003, 01:49 PM

20" wheels? Ugh. But thanks for the financial report.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

gooo IT industry! make me rich!

I dunno about the size, what ever looks good

20's r proly ab it much
Old Jun 26, 2003, 02:35 PM

someone mentioned that this is a limited production car....

will it be available next year? because im hoping to get it in november, but if they are going to be out of them, i would like to know if they will have more in 2004.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

I said it was limted production.. thats cuz all the dealers ive talked to mention that their mitsu guys say "its semi limited production" and that their attidude is "the fewer sold the better" bla bla ect ect...

what that means ? hell i dunno
Old Jun 26, 2003, 04:27 PM

its just talk from them to try to convince you that you NEED to buy the car. dont listen to dealer bs. The more they sell, the more cars they recieve and the more profit they make, as well as qualifying for factory incentives. Yes the car is limited production (6500, but I heard it dropped to 5600 for some reason), but they want you to buy it. If not, then dont buy it from them. If theyre being *********, then screw them and get it at another dealer. I mean if they say the less sold the better, then do exactly that - dont give them the sale. Find someone with a better attitude.

Back on topic, I would recommend the big wing (not that u could find one without anyways) and the brake ducts and maybe the aluminum skid plates as upgrades from dealer IF you get a good deal on em. Sunfroof if you want it.