Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo on a budget?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Evo on a budget?!

I recently got a new job & new apartment & while my truck is prety damn fun, the gass millage + city driving with a truck is just no fun (and hell its time for me to get a car & quit driving my truck like its a sports car)

SO my question is.. Go totaly stock? (about 28k) Or spend the extra 5k on dealer upgrades (stablizers large carb spoiler, shifter, pedals in dash CD ect ect....)

I'm pretty sure i can sell my truck for around 15k & use that for a down payment, but im not sure how much free cash i'll have for upgrades, (though i can alway save up)

ANYWAY, back to the question

Would it be better to go with the stock up grades, or try and "do it myself" (keep in mind that I've never done most of this stuff, but I'm not afraid to try either, replaced my whole front braking system, windshield wiper moter & alternator on my truck, planning to do the tye rod ends and pitman arm this next weekend too, but thats the extent of my modification experience)

Lots to read.. sorry, but any help is definatly apreciated

-WanabEvoOwner
Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Go totally stock with what?

How is a truck with spoilers and pedals at all similar to an Evo?

SC~
Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Musta lost something in the translation

im selling my truck and buying an EVO shortly

want to know if i should get the BASE modle evo (no factory options) OR go for the "fully loaded" version (wich is like 5k more)

Im wondering if the factory add ons are good, or if its more worth my time/money to do all this stuff myself (i realize that a lot of it is personal style, but for the money.. what do you think)
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Factory upgrades are a rip off.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

parts will rip you off, but if the dealer offers them to you for free, take em'.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

even the sunroof / spolier, what about those stabilizers?

surely there's something there thats good

I'm prety new to "newer" car mods.. put a lot of work into my 74 nova SS, but i want something thats fast, AND can actualy take a turn with out feeling like im driving the love boat

thanks for the opinion though
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Wing or sunroof, those are the only options you should consider.

Everything else you can find for less at other retailers and install yourself. Personally I skipped on the Pitpass too. Lots of ways dealers bundle profit into their sales contracts (watch for "state doc stamps/fees", the dealer scum saw the terms used in mortgages and adopted them for bogus ripoff fees)
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

What are you getting for 5K more? Nothing thats going to make you faster. Pedals, shift knob, tiny gauges, chrome tower bar are all cosmetic crap. Save the money and get Evo 7 tails and a afc or reflash and you will be past the STI in power with the handling of a Evo. Only thing I would consider from the factory is the brake cooling guides.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

There is no base or fully loaded Evo. The only factory options are the wing choice and whether you want a big, small or no spoiler. Mitsu dealerships do have a bunch of tack on Mitsu brand junk that they sell at hugely overinflated prices...

I say get it as is without added options. If you want extra stuff, it is all available from other suppliers at about 70% of the dealership's price.

There is not a piece on the options listing that you would need more than a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to install. So if you can do brakes, you can certainly change a shift knob or put on pedal covers.

"spoiler?" 99% of Evos on the lots have the wing already in place as a factory item. You'd be hard pressed to find an Evo with no wing.

"In dash cd"? The Evo comes with an in-dash cd standard. There is a trunk mounted 6 disk system available as an expensive option. Just about any aftermarket changer will be cheaper and higher in quality than the dealer one.

Shifter? Do you mean the knob? It's an overpriced option also. Is a small piece of aluminum really worth $130? If it is, buy it....it looks kinda cool.

If it's handling better than a Nova SS that you are worried about, don't sweat it. An Evo with bald winter tires driving on water probably would still have higher cornering limits than an old school "straight line" Nova on a paved dry road.

And if it's a fast car, that handles well, but is still useable in the winter that you are looking for.....you certainly found the right car!

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Jun 26, 2003 at 09:15 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

My suggestion... Give me the 5K, I make your car 25hp faster and I keep half for helping you out! Any questions?

Save your money, let the 5K earn some interest and slowing purchase parts down the road. All those little options can be purchased for much less aftermarket.

Spoiler and sunroof are the only 2 options that are worth it in my opinion.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only option on the evo is whether your want it with or with out a sunroof or wing on the back.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Granted there's not much performance in any of hte upgrades, but some are.. less expensive, when done by the dealer (sunroof & spoiler.. brake air flow guides)

I DO like a good looking car so cosmetics arnt totaly out of the picture, but i bet i can find half that **** cheeper else where

I'm a total n00b here, just getting into it, been researching cars for a while, i was convinced that i'd buy a Volvo S60 till i did a test drive (not perky enough)

Anyway, thanks for the advise
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Secret Chimp : thanks for the info

Ya, looking for a fun car int he summer that can keep me alive in the winter up here

Sounds like I'll just look for a sun roof and screw the rest (i thought those front & rear stablizers might have some worth, but hell im not even sure what they do)

this is making the initial purchase look a lot nicer @ 28k or so (instead of 33+)

I'll just read through the rest of these ungodly long posts & try to find out what mods i should do first..

though Most likely i'll go for the "cosmetics" cuz im sure moving from a big acqard truck to a ralley car will be enough of an power increase for this summer lol..

thanks again
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

The dealership doesn't actually "do" the sunroof or the spoiler. They are the only 2 factory options. ie...the car rolls off the truck with em already installed.

All the other accessories are dealer installed. And as such, they are all VERY easy to install. You would have NO problems installing them yourself if you bought them post sale.

Please note though, if you were in the Market for a Volvo S60, and now are looking at the Evo, that these are 2 VERY different cars. The Evo is not nearly as practical as the Volvo. The Evo has no cruise control, has a very stiff ride, and is pretty loud inside. The Volvo is quiet, has a compliant suspension, and is fairly plush.

Have you looked at/read about the new "R" series of Volvos coming out this month s60R? They have 300hp, are awd, and have a trick electronically adjustable suspension....and are $35k. Power and luxury.... just a thought

SC~
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Ya, i drove in the car, it felt like.. well like an old mans car

Im 23

I want something fun.. comfort is for the old, give me something that corners

I had an 86 audi quatro & fell inlove with tight cornering, that car gripped very well and handled snow with ease..

Now that ive got a good job & house 'n all that.. I want a toy that can also be a "commuter" and from what i've read if i play nice and drive like grandpa this car is very fuel efficent, Plus i got enough power to play with when the sun is out

And i like how its not extreamly "riced" out. its got a good subtle look to it.

I used to love my honda CBR because it sounded like an angry sewing machine,, I want a car that'll do the same & after driving a GT3000 with the twin turbos whining I'm thinkin i'll be happy with an evo for sure