Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Jacking up Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacking up Evo

Where exactly should you put a jack and jack stands under an evo that would avoid mangling the undercarriage or gouging aluminum suspension components.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoLife
Where exactly should you put a jack and jack stands under an evo that would avoid mangling the undercarriage or gouging aluminum suspension components.
I've always used the part between the notches that the manual recommends you use for lifting...but you are right it messes up the undercarriage someone (not really)... I guess you might be able to use the differential cases?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ak47po
Curious where you found this. Those jack points may work with the included jack, however if you try to lift with a regular jack at these location you will f them up. At least astheticaly, I don't know if actual damage to the car is being done. I would rather avoid both however. Also I'm wondering where wou could put the jack stands which would not be at any of these locations without causing damage.

Last edited by EvoLife; Jul 9, 2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Evo service manual.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Evo service manual.
The 8 I guess? That is not in the 9.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Wrong IX manual.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Wrong IX manual.
I guess it must be in the MR version (if there is such a thing) because I read my manual back and forth several times and I never saw that
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

I was always told in school to jack up the car at the pinch weld, you are correct they do peen over sometimes when you jack there. i dont think you are doing any real damage to the car's subframe though.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rudager
I guess it must be in the MR version (if there is such a thing) because I read my manual back and forth several times and I never saw that
Title: 2006 Lancer Evolution Service Manual Data,It's on a CD.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fox2boost
I was always told in school to jack up the car at the pinch weld, you are correct they do peen over sometimes when you jack there. i dont think you are doing any real damage to the car's subframe though.
I dont think it's doing frame damage but the creaks and the bending are hard to handle.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoLife
Curious where you found this. Those jack points may work with the included jack, however if you try to lift with a regular jack at these location you will f them up. At least astheticaly, I don't know if actual damage to the car is being done. I would rather avoid both however. Also I'm wondering where wou could put the jack stands which would not be at any of these locations without causing damage.
What I did is went to my local sporting goods store and bought a 99 cent rubber hockey puck. I then used a Dremmel to cut a grove about 10mm wide down the middle of the puck. The grove is about 1/2 way through the puck so that puck slips over the jacking point and the flat surface of the puck just barely rests flat against the floor pan. Then I just use that with my regular floor jack. The same puck works on the similar jacking points on both my Honda and Nissan too.

I'm not sure what you would do for jackstands though...
Old Jul 10, 2007, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aklucsarits
What I did is went to my local sporting goods store and bought a 99 cent rubber hockey puck. I then used a Dremmel to cut a grove about 10mm wide down the middle of the puck. The grove is about 1/2 way through the puck so that puck slips over the jacking point and the flat surface of the puck just barely rests flat against the floor pan. Then I just use that with my regular floor jack. The same puck works on the similar jacking points on both my Honda and Nissan too.

Ah...thats a pretty ingenious idea...I think I'll use that one
Old Jul 10, 2007, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

That is a really good idea! I was thinking of doign this out of wood but a hockey puck is even better.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aklucsarits

I think I am going to have to try this.

Quick Reply: Jacking up Evo