Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

hydrolock

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hydrolock

can someone fully explain me how hydro lock happens? i do know it's when the water gets into your intake/engine, but i need a good explanation on how it actually happens
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air can be compressed but water cant so it locks the motor up and/or breaks things.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

When water get into your cylinders and locks the piston.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

It can happen when you blow a head gasket really bad, or somehow suck in ALOT of water in the intake. What happens is the piston goes down on the intake stroke sucks in mostly water. When it comes back up on the compression stroke it cant compress the water, so the piston stops moving and the rest of the motor wants to keep going. It will break the wrist pin and piston send the connecting rod threw the side of the block (sometimes). I saw a motor that had been hydrolocked. It had JE pistons and Corillo rods (really expensive). When it happened it bent the wrist pin in a "U" and the rod pushed it strait threw the piston. When they took the rod out and specd the rod it was still within spec. this is why im putting Corillo rods in when I build a motor.

PS: Nice Signature

Last edited by BURNALL_4; Jul 10, 2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks
Old Jul 10, 2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 05 EVO RS
It can happen when you blow a head gasket really bad, or somehow suck in ALOT of water in the intake. What happens is the piston goes down on the intake stroke sucks in mostly water. When it comes back up on the compression stroke it cant compress the water, so the piston stops moving and the rest of the motor wants to keep going. It will break the wrist pin and piston send the connecting rod threw the side of the block (sometimes). I saw a motor that had been hydrolocked. It had JE pistons and Corillo rods (really expensive). When it happened it bent the wrist pin in a "U" and the rod pushed it strait threw the piston. When they took the rod out and specd the rod it was still within spec. this is why im putting Corillo rods in when I build a motor.

Good explanation. I was actually thinking about this yesterday. A customer of ours came in and talked to me about his subaru SVX that has a head gasket leak. I explained to him that it could potentially cause hydrolock. He didnt believe me becaue he figured all the water would just go out the exhaust. I wish I would have been a little bit clearer on my explanation
Old Jul 10, 2007, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Not a good experience, i recall my VW bug with this issue :-(
Old Jul 10, 2007, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05 EVO RS

Uhhh, its actually spelled "Carrillo" homie
Old Jul 11, 2007, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Uhhh, its actually spelled "Carrillo" homie
oops....my bad.....they're still baller rods tho.