Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help with new noise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with new noise

Hi - I have a silver 06 SE.

11,000 miles and not one complaint - until now.

Washed the car Sunday pm. Hand dried it and spray waxed it. Next morning I wake up and start it. Roll down windows and hear an interesting noise coming from the pass side front. Sounds like belt minor sqeal/pulley wobble/very dull knock. Go run a few errands. Everything is fine. No audible noise while driving.

Wait a day - figuring something got wet. Still the same noise. Not a belt squeal but more of a very slight but not constant "wobble" or knock if you will def coming from the left hand accessory belt area. Took it to mitsu - in 5 mins the car was back out and they said they didnt hear anything. I popped the hood and pinpointed the noise for the tech and he said "oh I hear it now." 15 mins later car is ready and service guy says they "tightened the belt"

Noise is still there. 100% Stock. Sprayed some WD-40 toward the back of the pullies I could get at. Im too **** I think but anyone have any ideas? Again, its not a constant noise but seems like it happens every few times the belt goes around...

THOUGHTS ARE APPRECIATED
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:46 AM

Does the noise go away if you press down the clutch? I notice the tranny makes some noise in neutral with the clutch engaged, that seems to emanate from about that area. Far as I know it's not harmful.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:23 AM

thanks

na - not the TOB. I hear that from inside the car anytime Im not on the clutch!
Old Jul 10, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are obviously not a mechanic. Please don't go spraying WD40 onto something because you *think* its making noise. WD40 on your belts is not such a good idea. Hell WD40 on anything except rusted bolts isn't a good idea when it comes to cars. There is no way to "tighten" the accessory belt on the Evo, its auto tensioned via a spring loaded tensioner. If it really bothers you, record it so we can hear it.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jul 10, 2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

welcome to the world of the evo

get aquainted with strange noises, as you ill be hearing many of them

educate yourself, on here, on the serious vs. normal evo noises

if you cannot find your answer take it to the dealer