Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Zietronix Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zietronix Help

Ok don't really know where to post this but my zietronix is acting weird. sometimes the egt gauge will only read 392, then during a hard pull usually in 4th the gauge will come to life and start reading. then shortly after the gauge will fail again. sometimes the boost gauge will only read positive boost or sometimes only negative boost. i have checked the lines and the connections and i cant find the problem. anyone else experience this problem?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

bump...anyone?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Loose harness? Routing?

Check with Scott at TTP he's installed a lot of Zeitronix.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Where is the EGT probe mounted?
We have seen some probes mounted after the turbo. Turbocharger runs on heat energy and there is a significant temperature drop across the turbine. If the probe is mounted after the turbocharger it will read low EGT at idle.
Otherwise it looks like an intermittent connection somewhere.
Are you seeing vacuum at idle and boost under full engine load? If so, that would be absolutely normal. Otherwise please describe the conditions.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

My Egt did that right before it finally went bad. I had to replace the sensor.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:35 AM
Account Disabled

My EGT is sitting right at 392 as well. I'm chalking it up to a bad sensor. Everything else is right on.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

hey jeff, i got your PM but totally missed responding to it. i suspect the sensor is going bad. i can take a look at it though. i doubt it is a bad connection as all the wires were soldered in, and the unit isn't cutting out or anything is it? sense the EGT comes with its own harness it leaves the sensor itself as the culprit. i have seen time and time again the wire with the braid coming out of the probe itself bend and fray, eventually leading to the wires shorting, or breaking. even under the spring which is sopposed to support it, it still happens. not really sure why its such a problem.

give me a call some evening and we can check it out.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The low mass, high speed EGT probe had broken the tip off. Time to replace. In order to get the highest response speed, the probe is not very thick and will wear out every 8 months or so.

We have these in stock ready to ship.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 01:51 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The low mass, high speed EGT probe had broken the tip off. Time to replace. In order to get the highest response speed, the probe is not very thick and will wear out every 8 months or so.

We have these in stock ready to ship.
Very good advice. My EGT's started doing the same as the OP's and the sensor had finally crapped out. Maybe had 1000 street miles, 20 dyno pulls and the same in strip visits....
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

ok here is what happens 99% of the time the egt is at 392. if i do a hard pull and really heat it up it will start to read for a short time then die out. the zietronix box never stops working its always on. however the boost readings are still messed up. some days it will only read negative boost levels even when my other gauges are reading positive. or sometimes the zeitronix will only read positive boost numbers even when im at idle it wont go past 0. o ya the egt probe is on the exhaust manifold on the far left (passenger) runner before the turbo.
guess its time to order a new egt probe. but what about the boost?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:55 PM
Account Disabled

The boost reference is probably not tapped in the right place OR you routed your vac line to the MAP sensor poorly and it is being pinched off by a door or something.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, now i have this problem, instead my egt reads 200. Like it's not connected. Worked fine untill yesterday and today all of a sudden it shows 200, i checked all connections, looks good. I did take the manifold off the other day and left the EGT sensor in it because i couldn't unscrew it, so the sprung wire was twisted for a while.
So does that most likely mean a wire problem? And that i probably will have to order a new probe?

Also, Scott, if you read this, how much do you sell the probes for?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Double check the yellow EGT plug. Make sure it's connected + to +. The EGT probe is polarized and even with different blade sizes you can connect the yellow plug in reverse if you try hard enough. If connections are all good then it looks like you need a new EGT probe. Either the tip burned off or the wires got over twisted when you removed the manifold.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, i never unplugged or even touched that yellow connector. I did look at it this morning, it looks fine. So yeah, the twisting might have played a part in this...

Also do you guys have any tips to unscrewing it out of there. I tried to do it before i took the manifold off, but it got stuck midway through unbolting it and i didn't wanna push it too hard because i thought i'd break it... I don't think spray crap works on exhaust components.... I really dont want to break it, cause i'd have to drill it out and that means taking the turbo off probably. It's not like just drilling the hole in the mani, there'll probably gonna be some more debris....
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:59 AM
Account Disabled

http://ttp-engineering.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=243