Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo to S2000: Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have both an Evo IX and a S2000 too. Of course the two cars have wildly different powerbands. And of course the S2000 is not going to make much power if you are into adding mods to your cars. But I agree with SLW EVO's assessment that the S2000 is still more fun to drive than the Evo. The S2000 just has immediate, almost telepathic reflexes. The S2000 powertrain, while lacking in torque, is intoxicating. I never tire of zinging from 4000-9000rpm and snicking through every gear in the S2000's perfect transmission . You feel like you are driving a 2800lb go cart on the street. And then the fact that you can also put down the roof and drive around with the wind in your hair and the sun on your face is just icing on the cake.

As far as handling comparisons go, I have been an avid autoXer for the last 5+ years. Both the S2000 and Evo are in the same SCCA class for AutoX - A Stock. having driven both, I can say that unless it's raining out, the S2000 is the superior autoX car in stock form.

I love both my Evo and my S2000. But if for some reason I had to get rid of one of them tomorrow, the Evo would be the one to go. The Evo is very fun, fast, and a lot more practical. But the S2000 is just too satisfying of a drive for me to give up. So if I had to pick one, it'd be the S2000. Plus, chicks dig it.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by aklucsarits
I have both an Evo IX and a S2000 too. Of course the two cars have wildly different powerbands. And of course the S2000 is not going to make much power if you are into adding mods to your cars. But I agree with SLW EVO's assessment that the S2000 is still more fun to drive than the Evo. The S2000 just has immediate, almost telepathic reflexes. The S2000 powertrain, while lacking in torque, is intoxicating. I never tire of zinging from 4000-9000rpm and snicking through every gear in the S2000's perfect transmission . You feel like you are driving a 2800lb go cart on the street. And then the fact that you can also put down the roof and drive around with the wind in your hair and the sun on your face is just icing on the cake.

As far as handling comparisons go, I have been an avid autoXer for the last 5+ years. Both the S2000 and Evo are in the same SCCA class for AutoX - A Stock. having driven both, I can say that unless it's raining out, the S2000 is the superior autoX car in stock form.

I love both my Evo and my S2000. But if for some reason I had to get rid of one of them tomorrow, the Evo would be the one to go. The Evo is very fun, fast, and a lot more practical. But the S2000 is just too satisfying of a drive for me to give up. So if I had to pick one, it'd be the S2000. Plus, chicks dig it.
I agree, the S is a blast to drive. It also kicks *** on the auto-x track. Honda did the right thing when engineering it... somehow making it an awesome car even though it lacks power. Ingenious use of gearing, rpm, VTEC, etc. I'm just a torque hungry bastard though, and that's something you can't get with a Honda unless you stroke it and boost it.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:24 AM
.MM
Evolved Member

i sold my EVO IX MR for a S2000

and would never go back

s2000 is amazing
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya S2000 is pretty engineering marvel of that much power per litter. but I really dislike the car, sitting inside it made me feel like I was drivng a "walmart car" I just wasn't impressed. doesn't the evo handle better anyways.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Also, if you do have your heart set on getting another roadster, make sure you check out the Pontiac Solstice GXP and/or Saturn Sky RL in addition to the S2000. Having recently driven a Solstice GXP in autoX competition, the GM roadster really feels like the bastard child of an Evo mated with an S2000. It's almost the perfect compromise of the two cars. Sounds like you might like it coming from a Miata and then an Evo.

The Turbo GM roadsters have a powerband that feels very similar to the Evo (with even MORE usable torque down low than the Evo has). Plus it has S2000-like benefits of being a convertible two seater with double wishbone suspension all around. It does have a slightly softer suspension than the Evo or S2000 have though.

Last edited by aklucsarits; Jul 20, 2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My lug nuts have more torque then hondas. My brother has an s2k. Drive by wire. The drive by ecu takes forever. Once you step on it. There's a good pause b4 it goes faster. I like it and all. But I'm kinda big. And its a tight sqeeze.
You need to be at least no bigger then 5'8 and less then 160 to fit comfy
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
Johnny Tran will be there guiding light...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

I had a mazdaspeed Miata... and when I dynoed 170whp, I beat my buddys s2000 pretty easily. Im talking 2-3 car lengths +++ from a 50 punch & thats shutting down at 110 ish. I eventually got it up to 200whp and there just wasnt ANY competition.

I know the s2000 has more of an aggressive body, but you should also consider the 04/05 Mazdaspeed Miata (turbo)... a TONNNNNNNNN of fun. I liked it more than the EVO. With simple boltons, capable of mid 13s which is perfect for a little street car. GT28RS would get ya high to mid 12s.

Oh yeah, and not to mention, when it gets cold out in the winter, the car would easily break traction & fishtail everywhere at 40-50mph... it was like a wicked go-kart. Loved it. I actually raced a modded EVO9 with it... (he had intake, flash, and fuel pump at the time) we were kneck & kneck until I granny shifted into 5th, he got a fender & by 110 thats still all he had. Pretty sweet.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Wow! Thanks for the input guys, I didn't expect this many replies so quickly. I'm not really into moding aside from the usual IHE setup (or IE for the Evo). It'll be a DD so I would need it to be reliable. I was somewhat looking at the new Zs as well (with the new engine) as a compromise between torque and luxury but between the Z, Evo and S2k, for some reason, the S2k just seems to be more satisfying to drive. Even when I had my miata (which was not stock BTW) I still had lots of fun in it even without the power. Jumping between the Evo and the Miata back then, I thoroughly enjoyed both even though they're totally different cars. I guess a test drive would be the best way to really decide on this.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by evo_z
In the very slight chance that the Evo X will disappoint (or be to expensive for me), I've been tossing around the idea of selling\trading my Evo for an S2000. I've always liked the S2000 and I've been craving for another roadster ever since I sold my Miata. I also wouldn't feel guilty for having a two seater since we recently bought a crew cab titan and we also have a van both of which can carry at least five. I'd like to here opinions on this especially from former S2k owners who traded for Evos.
I traded my '05 STi for a '06 S2000 and I too, have owned a Miata ('03 BRP supercharged).

The reason for the swap between the STi and the S2000 was for the fun factor. I throughly enjoyed driving fast around a track with the benefit of awd, but it was never as enjoyable or fun as lapping in a rwd car. I had always liked the S2000 and since I could not buy-back my old Miata, the S2000 was the perfect car. If you don't need the low-end power, 4-doors, 4-seats, and reasonable storage space, than the S2000 could be a fun car for you to own.

The S2000 is a very focused sports car. It does the job it was designed to do very well. On the track the car feels more engineered and comfortable for the job than even my STi, which really surprised me.

On the street, driving the S2000 I truly miss the low-end power of my previous cars. I don't mind shifting to a lower gear to accelerate, but sometimes it just doesn't feel like it does the trick. However, on the track, I don't feel like the car needs more power as you are always in the powerband, in every gear, it is near perfectly balanced.

Mike
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

I have an 03 Evo and I just recently picked up an 07 S2000. I love the S as much as I love the Evo. I use each for different purposes. If I feel like getting a little sunshine and feel cool in a roadster, I would drive the S. If I want power and speed with great handling, I choose the Evo. In my opinion the S is a great daily driver. To me, the ride is smoother than my Evo. The only thing I don't like to do is to take long drives with the S because it is pretty cramped and your legs tend to get tired. The tranny is great on the S.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

eehhhhh....
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:49 PM

Slow unless you keep the revs up. That gets old. You are always in the wrong gear unless you keep driving at 5500 rpms. It gets really slippery in the rain and you can forget the snow. The evo is the perfect car for year round use. Its a race car, family car, rally car and a monster in the snow. Keep the evo.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Although I won't argue your opinion (since you do own both) but even though the S makes 240 N/A out of a 2.2 (or 2.0), how much can you make with bolt-ons? Not much, since the S is made to make as much as it can straight out the box. The Evo, on the other hand, can make gobs of power safely with bolt-ons. If Mitsu wanted to shoot for stupid-high stock numbers, they'd be selling the FQ series over here.
If you modded a s2k with 20k of stuff and a evo with 20k of stuff, I'd have to give it to the s2k. Since i have been in both cars built with over 600 whp, the s2k always killed the evo and the feeling that your chest was caving in went to the s2k. i love both but the evo has 4 doors and i'm 6'4 so no s2k for me
Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

I drive an S2000 sometimes (I exchange the Evo vs. the S2000 with a friend)

First I'm 6"2, the S2000 is not for me, too small!
Then the engine, I love it, to rev the engine is super nice but there's no torque, the power feeling is not as good as the one I've got with my Evo.
The handling is very good, the steering is very nice and the trans is perfect.

I would consider a used Porsche Boxster S instead of the S2000 (If I can fit in it) or an Lotus Elise (but not the same budget)

Quick Reply: Evo to S2000: Opinions?