Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Twin Scroll; Making all Existing Turbo Kits Obsolete?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see what all the arguing is about, twin scroll is obviously better suited for circuit duty. It will lose top end, there is no doubt about that. If your car is all top end, it will only be good in a straight line. To properly conquer a race track, you need power and torque ALL over the RPM range (to properly accelerate into, around, and out of turns with minimal shifting). This is why the twin scroll has an advantage. However the twin scroll is not the end all solution for better midrange power. More displacement, playing games with the intake/exhaust manifolds, mivec, cam timing, porting the cylinder head, and the turbine housing all are huge factors. A good example is the AMS time attack Evo, which doesn't use a twin scroll setup, and yet it manages to scorch down lap times comparable to that of an open wheel formula 1 race car.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Aug 2, 2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ill-luzion
Hey, would you need to run a 4inch Turbo back if you went with a built 2.4 93oct/meth on the GT4094R? or is a 3inch fine?
3" is fine. There are turbo'd V8's that don't have 4" exh.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
A good example is the AMS time attack Evo, which doesn't use a twin scroll setup, and yet it manages to scorch down lap times comparable to that of an open wheel formula 1 race car.
I agree with your whole statement about setting up the motor but am curious how many decade old F1 are you talking about?...either that or how bad was the driver?!!

I'd go 3" and if have issues, go out to 3.5"...
what I would personally do is step off the turbo from 3 out to 4" then taper back down to 3.5" then to 3" out....
the larger downpipes have shown decrease in spool up. We've done a test of 3" vs. 3" flaring to 4" and the results were pretty suprising.

Last edited by homemade wrx; Aug 2, 2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by homemade wrx
I agree with your whole statement about setting up the motor but am curious how many decade old F1 are you talking about?...either that or how bad was the driver?!!

I'd go 3" and if have issues, go out to 3.5"...
what I would personally do is step off the turbo from 3 out to 4" then taper back down to 3.5" then to 3" out....
the larger downpipes have shown decrease in spool up. We've done a test of 3" vs. 3" flaring to 4" and the results were pretty suprising.
Not sure, but according to the latest issue of modified magazine, the AMS time attack Evo set a new course record on some track in Canada during the redline time attack competition. The previous record was set by some kind of open wheel race car (maybe it wasn't a formula 1 car). The AMS time attack machine is just plain ridiculous and it murders the competition wherever it goes.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

A good example is the AMS time attack Evo, which doesn't use a twin scroll setup, and yet it manages to scorch down lap times comparable to that of an open wheel formula 1 race car.
Might wanna drop the "1" after formula.

l8r)
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, who knows, maybe the AMS car would whoop up on a formula 1 car! In the rain...
Old Aug 2, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Might wanna drop the "1" after formula.

l8r)
so true...the old Formula SAE car I use to race topped 6th at 120
but it pulled 1.65 g's when turning
Old Aug 3, 2007, 03:14 PM
Account Disabled

twin scroll is obviously better suited for circuit duty. It will lose top end, there is no doubt about that.
if the twinscroll is setup incorrectly, it will lose top end.

If you do it right, it will gain top end.

that is the honest truth
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:40 AM
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill-luzion
Hey, would you need to run a 4inch Turbo back if you went with a built 2.4 93oct/meth on the GT4094R? or is a 3inch fine?

3" is fine. There are turbo'd V8's that don't have 4" exh.

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2007, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff

that is the honest truth
I am not ao sure about that. What I am going to have to ask you is to send me a GT35R Twin Scroll kit to decide wether or not that is true. PM me and I'll send you my mailing info and we can go from there. Please included some injectors and a nice FMIC to cool the intake charges.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

i love this thread
Old Aug 5, 2007, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Hey, who knows, maybe the AMS car would whoop up on a formula 1 car! In the rain...
Eh... probably not Hard to compete with 900hp, 1500lbs, and something like 3k lbs of downforce. They can pull over 4gs in the corners for a reason!
Old Aug 5, 2007, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff

that is the honest truth
eh, I dunno geoff...thinking about a twinscroll with the same a/r as a single entry...
the twin has more surface area = lower velocity fromt surface friction and more heat loss...wonder how that would affect the top end as normally the top end issue is choking and thus causing reversion...
I think his statement might have some truth to it and dyno graphs that I've seen agree...

now if done right, I don't think the top end loss will be much at all or outweigh area under the curve gains.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by homemade wrx
eh, I dunno geoff...thinking about a twinscroll with the same a/r as a single entry...
the twin has more surface area = lower velocity fromt surface friction and more heat loss...wonder how that would affect the top end as normally the top end issue is choking and thus causing reversion...
I think his statement might have some truth to it and dyno graphs that I've seen agree...

now if done right, I don't think the top end loss will be much at all or outweigh area under the curve gains.
Ill post this again:
To quote a Garrett engineer - "Twin scrolls often flow a hair less at equivalent a/r as boundary layer effects come into play.

Efficiency-wise, twin scrolls take a small hit due to increased 'wetted' surface area imposed by the divider wall. However, this is way more than offset by the vastly superior pulse conversion you get.

Edit: I should probably clarify that last bit. Twin scroll turbines, as mapped on a gas stand (steady state conditions) will exhibit a slight drop in efficiency compared to an otherwise equivalent non-divided housing. On-engine, however, is much different. The flow conditions are highly unsteady. The ability of a twin scroll to utilize the pulsing, unsteady flow of the exhaust exiting the engine gives it a huge bump in "apparent" efficiency, and ultimately spools up the turbine that much sooner.

Twinscrolls also isolate the cylinders' blowdown events much better than a non-divided housing, preventing the exhausting cylinder's very high PEAK exhaust manifold pressures from finding their way into the other cylinder on its overlap period. "
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, so you are agreeing with what I said...haha...different words and I used less engineering specific words as it is a public forum...generally try to put in common terms.

Quick Reply: Twin Scroll; Making all Existing Turbo Kits Obsolete?