Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Twin Scroll; Making all Existing Turbo Kits Obsolete?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Twin Scroll; Making all Existing Turbo Kits Obsolete?

Thread Link
http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/s...d.php?t=280463

Twin scroll; Making all existing Turbo Kits Obsolete?

IDK how this hasn't gotten greater attention but I believe that the new offering from Full Race is the next generation of turbo kits. Twin Scroll Manifolds for GT Series Turbo's it just makes these turbo's spool SO much faster.

Http://www.full-race.com/catalog/pro...f5c1972e002381

I would like to hear from existing Turbo Kit manufacturers and their take on this newer design and how it'll effect their existing single Scroll offerings.

Here are some Buzz words that caught my attention on the Unit, particularly the 40R spooling better then a 35/37R. That is Mega. I just don't understand how this hasn't attracted more attention. Kinda like a New Video Game Console release or something of that Nature.

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff

I think the 2.3L with a 40R is the setup

Twinscroll doesnt necessarily mean it will make more top end power. Twinscroll CAN make more top end power becuase you can run bigger cams. If you run the same cams on a twinscroll vs single scroll test, the twinscroll has way more lower rpm and midrange power, but the cams and compressor wheel usually dictate top end power.

long story short, the twinscrill should make the same peak power, but much more power everywhere else

I really think the 40R is the turbo that will be the one to use. Its basically an ultra efficient 37R, but becuase its twinscroll it spools even better than a 35R. It comes into boost so smoothly and so strong that even at low rpm it is very responsive and doesnt feel like a 700+whp turbo, even though it definately is.

thanks alot for your interest. On one of my personal cars i went from a GT37R to a 40R, the difference was night and day. The 37R was dead until boost hit, then it TOOK OFF. huge power increase in a cpl of rpms. The Twinscroll 40R had great power at lowish rpms, and when you rev the engine is just jumped. As you started driving it it would go right into boost, nothing at all like the single scroll 37R

if you are on a tight circuit, or doing any auto-x stuff i would definately recommend the 3071. This would be ultra-responsive and still make close to 500whp, in fact with the 2.3 and a good head you might be able to make even more.

the 3076 is better for a slightly bigger track, or if you want to do some drag racing. It can make up to 550whp with a 2.3 and a good head with very similar spool and response to the 3071 (slightly later, but very very small change)

this will spool about the same as the green, but make much more midrange and top end power.

Also the addition of a Top to Bottom FMIC to shorten piping is brilliant as well. I love everything about this kit, I can't think of a reason why I would ever buy anything else besides this kit, Even over AMS which is just amazing.

Last edited by High_PSI; Jul 21, 2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very interesting.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is interesting, but the effect and advantages of a twin scroll have been known, its just taken this long for a decent company to develop a full kit. i have been trying to do a twin scroll 40r for a few months now, its just a matter of getting my poor ba$tard hands on a 4088r.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

i will say i love the design of the of the kit as a whole and especially the intercooler.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

They have people who believe that there is a slight decrease in topend power which others debate is not true at all. What I have gathered is throttle response and tip in is much better.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

ye very very!
imagine having a 40r that can spool like a 35r !!

OMG!! we in for big powa then
Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
They have people who believe that there is a slight decrease in topend power which others debate is not true at all. What I have gathered is throttle response and tip in is much better.
but if youre making power and full boost at say...4500 why do you care that you cant run it out to 9500? get some supporting mods (stroker, meth, nitrous, even a built 2.0l) and youll be torquey spooling down low then boosting with some decent cams up top, it will be a solid car all-around.

if you boost XXPSI and hit 600whp by 7500 and i hit 550 whp 2K sooner, whos faster around the track? (based soley on that, not driver and mods...)
Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Very interesting... would love to see actual results.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

why not ask geoff?
he can probably explain the design
Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Im definitely saving my sheckels to get the twinscroll kit. It's a bit expensive but for what you get it definitely seems worth it. The intercooler design is really creative also.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

one thing you don't mention is the twinscroll 30r's and 35r's
yes, they are out there, you just have to know where to look

I'm personally a fan of a 40R on a 2.3L/2.4 for drivability in a drag setup.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

do you loose power steering or ac with the twin scroll kits
Old Jul 21, 2007, 01:17 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by daisaw1219
do you loose power steering or ac with the twin scroll kits
No.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Full Race has always been great. I'm from Arizona and have met those guys a few times. I was always into Hondas and they have amazingly SICK turbo kits for Hondas, etc. Its nice to see them developing more parts for the Evo.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Nice but they are pricey as fawk. They need some competition to bring those prices down.

Quick Reply: Twin Scroll; Making all Existing Turbo Kits Obsolete?