Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Are there any Major problems with the EVO yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no problems @ ~4000 miles.

I did have a small amount of grinding during 1-2 shift but only when the car was cold. After about 1500 miles the problem has not been seen again. So probably just a break in thing.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by skibum

I have only owned German cars before this car.
Maybe I am spoiled because their paint is 10 times better than the crap they put on the Evolution. I have more paint chips on my Evolution than on my 10 year old German cars!
Maybe the paint is better than some domestic cars but that is not saying much.
Agreed.

I've owned nothing but Domestics and I won't hesitate to complain about their shoddy paint quality.

My mother's AMG ML55 however has the deepest black paint I could imagine. From other BMW/Audis/Benz I've seen, I would agree that their paint is the best.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 02:23 PM

so if i got this car am i gonna have to worry about the paint chipping away all over the place or what?
Old Jun 30, 2003, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

spend a little cash and get some more paint put on it or a good clear coat

whats the big deal?
Old Jun 30, 2003, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Some ppl experiance gear grinds..while some peoples seem to be just fine after 1000-1500 miles!!
Mine did this when new, but I have almost 5000 miles on it now and it no longer "grinds" at all like it used to. It does still make a bit of noise going into 2nd right after I start it, but when it warms up a bit it vanishes. The car seems to be getting faster and faster too with the more miles I put on it!

the lower part of my rear doors is also getting chewed up a bit, I have many small chips and even a few pretty big ones now on the driver's side rear door, the other side is not nearly as bad.. I think it's from the wide front wheels spinning in corners and kicking stuff onto the door when on the throttle hard. Thats not a biggy to me, they are easy to fix and low on the car anyway. I would never put mudflaps on my car, I'd rather live with the chips!!
Old Jul 1, 2003, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zTargeTz
spend a little cash and get some more paint put on it or a good clear coat

whats the big deal?
You are funny
Old Jul 1, 2003, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

the paint on my Evo is better then the paint on my fd... but that isn't saying much
Old Jul 1, 2003, 08:03 AM
N/A
Evolving Member

The front end on my Subaru is speckled from all the chips. Not to mention that SOA told me to **** off over the paint problems when I brought it up. My paint was so bad that under the hood and in the trunk area you can still see primer. SOA said that was perfectly acceptable by their standards.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

I have the most miles by far of any privately owned Evolution out there at around 14,800 so far. Here is where I am at:

-Engine has a loud ticking sound at cold that will not go away.
-Gears have had a grind in them since I picked up the car.
-Paint on the lower strip behind the driver side door, yet in front of the rear wheel, has several chips that showed up within the first couple weeks of ownership.

Other than that, the car is doing okay. I will have almost 16,000 miles on it by the end of the week..so stay tuned.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

How would you classify those problems? minor, major, annoyance?
Old Jul 1, 2003, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zTargeTz
How would you classify those problems? minor, major, annoyance?
I fear that they may get worse...and I really have no idea why the tranny on this car has to be shifted so slowly to get into gear without a grind. All in all, I usually tell people that ask me about the car that it would be a great car if a company other than Mitsubishi had handled it and polished off the terribly rough edges in the lack of support from the dealer, manufacturer, and some design things (like the tranny).

Last edited by Meeyatch1; Jul 1, 2003 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by skibum

I have only owned German cars before this car.
Maybe I am spoiled because their paint is 10 times better than the crap they put on the Evolution. I have more paint chips on my Evolution than on my 10 year old German cars!
Maybe the paint is better than some domestic cars but that is not saying much.
Maybe the Evo is much faster and things can't get out of the way in time.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

no, i really doubt the EVO is faster than an M5 OR M3 so that has nothing to do with the paint. bottom line is that with german cars you get what you pay for.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 03:21 PM

No issues for me after 6500 miles.

Not to turn this into another "the EVO is faster than a...” It would seem that the EVO is certainly not slower than those very nice M series cars... Most folks that really know EVO would likely disagree with that statement… Not to take anything away from BMW, awesome cars…

I love the video where an EVO and a Skyline are tailing a 911 turbo by a few feet around a road course.. The Ferrari, NSX and a few other quite amazing cars were not even visible on the same side of the track by the end of the race… From what I know they were all stock cars. My friend that owns a 911 showed me that video. I was very surprised…
Old Jul 1, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Meeyatch1
I have the most miles by far of any privately owned Evolution out there at around 14,800 so far. Here is where I am at:

-Engine has a loud ticking sound at cold that will not go away.
-Gears have had a grind in them since I picked up the car.
-Paint on the lower strip behind the driver side door, yet in front of the rear wheel, has several chips that showed up within the first couple weeks of ownership.

Other than that, the car is doing okay. I will have almost 16,000 miles on it by the end of the week..so stay tuned.
Does that ticking sound go away after it warms up??? Arent the internals on the EVOs forged?? As far as I know with forged internals that they have a ticking noise when starting up cold til the metal heats up. Also what octane fuel you running?? maybe the the computer is running alil on the lean side?? just some guesses but the likely one could be the forged internals IF they are forged???

Quick Reply: Are there any Major problems with the EVO yet?