Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

SoCalEvo tearing it up on dry lake bed (Video)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
love it, just like an evo should be driven.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

This video is sick. I would do that in a heartbeat!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 08:29 PM

Nice!!!!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

I would love to do this! If anyone knows of a place in CO let me know!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 09:03 PM

oh man .. id love to do this, so much fun, if i ever abuse my evo, it would be this way, rocks
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:15 PM

where was this? can anybody just go and drive on the lake bed?
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:36 PM

yes i bealive u can : i didnt go but according to everyone u can ...... i shud of gone !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:42 PM

Dry Lake: What we're born for...

Originally Posted by UCLAevoIX
where was this? can anybody just go and drive on the lake bed?
This one is in Southern Cali. We have a TON in the mountains directly above us. It is heaven. Yes, anyone can go. This dry lake bed there are no rules. On the dry lake bed my video was taped on there is a rule of no drifting only because Boeing and other competitions use it for various testing grounds and high speed tests (lol oops). But all in all dry lake beds are "at your own risk" - no cops, no speed limits, no nothing, and Free for the public. There is only 1 dry lake bed up here that is long enough for a max speed test (El Mirage). Just so you all know - At that altitude, stock: We max at 152. We still handle great at 152 for those that are curious.

As for everyone who calls this abuse; It does make your car dirty as heck, no doubt. HOWEVER if you didn't want to get your car dirty perhaps you shouldn't have purchased a rally car. Our Evos are built for this. This is their home. Leave the streets to the RWD - this is where and how we shine like no other.

As far as the paint and stuff goes. This is a dry lake bed. Compact clay. It sounds like assault when you drift on it but it gives way so you're not tearing up your tires. The dirt that you see in the air is a finer dust. It attaches itself to your car but does NOT scratch it.

You'd also be surprised to look at your air filter after a run like this. I have been on 3 different dry lake beds and not once did my air filter get any dirtier than normal. (2 times with stock, 1 time with N&K drop in). As long as you drive/drift properly you'll have no problems.

Last edited by EvoRêveur; Aug 1, 2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

I used pantyhose to cover the air inlet of the OEM airbox and i put the OEM paper filter in as well. My filter didn't see any specs of dust at all surprisgly. I personally wouldln't do a top speed run on the lakebed because their could be small dips on the surface which will throw you off. Much safer to do a top speed run on asphalt
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by skiracer
I used pantyhose to cover the air inlet of the OEM airbox and i put the OEM paper filter in as well. My filter didn't see any specs of dust at all surprisgly. I personally wouldln't do a top speed run on the lakebed because their could be small dips on the surface which will throw you off. Much safer to do a top speed run on asphalt
The dips our cars MORE than handle because they are minimal at best (it is a lake bed). Problem with El Mirage for Top Speed (and anything else) is that it IS a testing ground & an "off road vehicle" vacation spot. So it runs a high risk of debris.

For High Speed runs my true recommendation are the salt flats which are about 2 hours away - no biggie. I'll admit - Southern California is turning out the be the place to have an Evo. Sunny weather, rainy weather, hot temps, cool temps, snow is 45 min away, beach is an hour away, desert is all around us, all types of dirt, crazy mountain roads - we have everything here. There is a ton of freedom for driving here - you just have to know where to look. So lets keep searching and posting our "secret spots"
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That video was badass!! Great editing! That looks like a lot of fun. I would do that in a heartbeat.

Glad you had a blast!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Nice Vid!
Oh man this is close to my house I might go and do this!!!
Uh I havent drifted at 80mph any pointers so I dont come back on Evom and write that I flipped over the Evo...
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

just scan the area where you'll be driving to make sure no holes, etc... are nearby. Otherwise, hold on and have fun.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

K thanks man probably will do this when I am bored and have nothing else to do...but that may not be for a while..
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:31 PM

damn I would like to go to the next one of these.... looks like I need to pay more attention to socalevo. haha

Quick Reply: SoCalEvo tearing it up on dry lake bed (Video)