Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some help with set up!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with set up!!

Hey you all,

I didn't know which area to post it so I figured this would be my safest and best bet. I am going to finally start doing some modification to my car since getting it back in Oct-Nov. I am going for a basic set up for the time being and wanted to get some opinions as well as places to shop for these items at the best $$ (please, no ebay )

Current Model: Evo IX MR WW
Engine Model: 4G63
Stock HP: 276HP
Goal: 330HP +

Planned Modifications: (Going to go with two different set up. Let me know what you think)

Set up A:

1. Hi-Powered Exhaust (HKS)
2. Super Mega Flow Reloaded Intake Kit (HKS)
3. Downpipe (HKS)
4. EVC Electronic Boost Controller (HKS)
5. Blow-off Valve (HKS) <-- Not need but like the sound

Set up B:

1. Air Intake (Arc)
2. Downpipe (Arc)
3. Exhaust (Arc)
4. Boost Controller (HKS)
5. Blow-off Valve (HKS)

This is the set up I am thinking of going for. I also intended to get my ECU flashed and my car tunned. Let me know what you think and if you can suggest any better parts (I am not a brand preferrenced guy, but I do prefer not to go to some bum off the street and buy his homemade exhaust if you know what I mean.) Feel free to either reply to my post or pm me. Thanks a ton guys!

~Chug
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:29 PM
Account Disabled

lol
Maybe you should look at the Warrtalon stg1
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by APEX1
lol
Maybe you should look at the Warrtalon stg1
I was looking at that but didn't know how well that set up ran. But what you think of the set up I thought of?

~Chug
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

IMO the exhaust is really your choice. If you like the HKS and want to spend money on it, then so be it.

Don't mess with your intake. Keep the stock intake. Maybe just get a drop-in filter.

I would not get an EBC. I'd go with an MBC or get a tune that raises your boost through the factory boost control.

Keep your stock BOV. HKS BOV is FTL.

l8r)
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

+1 warrtalon stg1 FTW
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

stage

Listen to ludikraut he knows what he's talking about.

Setup C:

1. Drop in K&N
2. Downpipe
3. Exhaust
4. High Flow Cat, test pipe or rally cat
5. MBC
6. Flash Tune
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:43 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

I agree with Ludi.

You seem to be very brand concious. With the items you have mentioned you are buying a lot of label. There are many less expensive exhaust systems that will fit just as well and make the same power.

1) Exhaust -- your pick.
2) Keep the stock air box
3) Do not buy a BOV. This does nothing aside from cause drivability problems.
4) Get a quality tune.

Last edited by JTB; Aug 2, 2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:45 PM
Account Disabled

In my opinon the Buschur exhaust is the best one. Its light weight, great power gains, no bends and good fitment. thats why I said do the WT stg1, but when you start moding after that I recommend other parts. look at my mods.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
IMO the exhaust is really your choice. If you like the HKS and want to spend money on it, then so be it.

Don't mess with your intake. Keep the stock intake. Maybe just get a drop-in filter.

I would not get an EBC. I'd go with an MBC or get a tune that raises your boost through the factory boost control.

Keep your stock BOV. HKS BOV is FTL.

l8r)
1. What exhaust would you recommend that can perform just as well for a better price?

2. Forgive my ignorance as I am new to this game. What did you mean by drop-in-filter?

3. For the Manual Boost Control - I was thinking about that but if I wanted to do more engine work to my car in the future - wouldn't it be better to get an electronic one? (as you can see I am pretty noob at this game)

Originally Posted by hearnoevo

Setup C:

1. Drop in K&N
2. Downpipe
3. Exhaust
4. High Flow Cat, test pipe or rally cat
5. MBC
6. Flash Tune
1. What do you mean by Drop in K&N (yes, I am clueless)
2. Downpipe - 2.5 inch or 3 inch? Brand doesn't matter right?
3. Exhaust - 2.5 inch or 3inch? Have to match to the downpipe size (I know)
a) I guess the diameter depends on how much more airflow and power
I want.. right?
4. High Flow Cat - (does this mean catback?) If yes, I was thinking along the lines
of going Turbo back

Sorry about my lack of knowledge. We all have to start somewhere. Thanks for the input so far. Hope to get even more response!

~Chug
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:04 PM
Account Disabled

you get everything you need for your IX with the warrtalon stg1. trust me!

drop in filter is a air filter.
3inch pipes

anything else?
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

mods

Drop in K&N is basically a replacement air filter that looks like your stock air filter but flows better.

Best scenario would be a full 3" all the way through but of course it depends on what hp level you want to achieve.

High Flow cat is in reference to your catalytic converter. High Flow cat flows more exhaust than stock and is a real cat. Test pipe and rally cat are merely straight pipes or what it means is not running a cat at all.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chuggychug
1. What exhaust would you recommend that can perform just as well for a better price?

2. Forgive my ignorance as I am new to this game. What did you mean by drop-in-filter?

3. For the Manual Boost Control - I was thinking about that but if I wanted to do more engine work to my car in the future - wouldn't it be better to get an electronic one? (as you can see I am pretty noob at this game)

1. What do you mean by Drop in K&N (yes, I am clueless)
2. Downpipe - 2.5 inch or 3 inch? Brand doesn't matter right?
3. Exhaust - 2.5 inch or 3inch? Have to match to the downpipe size (I know)
a) I guess the diameter depends on how much more airflow and power
I want.. right?
4. High Flow Cat - (does this mean catback?) If yes, I was thinking along the lines
of going Turbo back

Sorry about my lack of knowledge. We all have to start somewhere. Thanks for the input so far. Hope to get even more response!

~Chug
Buschur's exhaust is lightweight and relatively inexpensive and the best performing in it's size (3"). I'd probably go with that. Whatever you end up getting, you'll want a full 3" exhaust (aka turboback). Whether you get a test-pipe or high-flow catalytic converter is up to you.

Whatever drop-in filter you get, just make sure that it is not oiled. Some after market filters have a light coating of oil on them, which will end up messing up your MAF's intake readings.

The reason I would not get an EBC, is that when they fail, they tend to take the rest of your engine with them (read: severe overboost). A good MBC is cheaper, will be able to accomodate future mods, and is far less likely to overboost. Your boost level will be determined by your fuel more than you mods anyways, so future mods shouldn't require a lot tweaking of your MBC.

l8r)
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:29 PM
Account Disabled

^^^ yes- also if and when you call get the test pipe and bullet. also keep your cat and cat back exhaust laying around for emissions check.

Last edited by APEX1; Aug 2, 2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:32 PM

Seems like the only diffs in your setup are the brand of exhaust. That's really personal preference. All I would add is that you must find a good tuner. Once you add all those mods, you need someone who knows what they're doing to turn up your boost and get your timing and fuel curves optimized to get the most power you can.

I agree with the opinion that an MBC is a better value than an EBC. An MBC will be fine even if you do more work later. An EBC is only useful if you plan on changing back and forth to race gas or something else that will mean you're changing how much boost you run a lot. But an EBC is also "cool", and if you can afford it, I'm not gonna tell you not to buy it for pure coolness value.

What people mean by "drop-in" filter is that it's a K&N filter that looks just like the stock filter, only you don't throw it away when it's dirty (you clean it just like a conical filter). It fits in the stock filter box, hence "drop-in." It's also very cheap ($60 approx), breathes better than a disposable unit, AND I like how the stock box sounds a lot better than an open element.

Finally about exhaust. I toot this horn a lot, but having just modded my car a couple weeks back for the first time, I am a believer in the Ebay exhaust. It's ultra-cheap for a TBE ($350 shipped for everything from the down pipe to the tailpipe), pretty, not overly-loud, and performs as good as any other 3" TBE out there. The one word of caution is that the down pipe must be slightly modified to fit arounf the Evo 9's larger transfer case. But I have an Evo 9, and a few blows with a hammer did the trick. The guy that installed it for me said that even with the required mod, it was still way easier to install than a Buschur.

EDIT: The K&N drop-in filter that everyone recommends is an oiled filter. All K&N filters are. I personally have not seen any problems from it messing up MAF sensor readings, nor did my tuner. I am not saying the above poster is wrong, but it has not caused any issues for me personally yet.

Last edited by Joehunk; Aug 2, 2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by APEX1
^^^ yes- also if and when you call get the test pipe and bullet. also keep your cat and cat back exhaust laying around for emissions check.
Ahaha, Yes I know. I've been forwarned... That basic set up described thus far will not pass inspection....

Btw, all the recommended parts you guys have said thus far, where can I obtain there for a good price and quality services and great parts? I assume their website directly? I could look at the vendor section, but I didn't know if you guys knew off hand directly or would recommend a vendor that you have dealt with before. Thanks.

~Chug

Quick Reply: Need some help with set up!!