Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Knocking noise...but only when A/C turns on?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking noise...but only when A/C turns on?

I noticed this the other day when I got out of my car to lower my garage down... that there was a knocking noise coming from the front driver-side tire/suspension area. I went into my car, & turned off the a/c, & the noise went away. When I turn my a/c on, the knocking noise comes back. A friend of mine said it may just be the a/c fan rubbing on something, but under the hood i dont hear it, or see anything out of the ordinary.

So I had mitsubishi take a look at it since I had a motor mount squeaking & they were going to replace it... and they said they couldnt 're-create it'... which I find absolutely false, because as soon as you turn the a/c on, it does it. Kinda like saying you cant find the dirt that you stand on, or the sky thats above you, but whatever. Ill have them take a look at it again when I get my new motor mount in (ordered of course, nothing in stock)... but in the mean time, can anyone give me a heads up to what this may be?

Thanks...
Old Aug 4, 2007, 08:36 AM

My A/C compressor is pretty noisy as well. I think it's just another rattle that comes with the car (such as the ToB and certain interior parts).

Edit: If the sound is a recent development or especially loud, you may need a new compressor clutch (or compressor for that matter).

Last edited by HalfFastGSR; Aug 4, 2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Man the dealersh** you went to don't know smack about evos but if by luck they get to fix your problem then good for you.

My evo also makes a noise when the A/C is on and is the TOB chatter noise that gets worse when the A/C is on, when is off it dissapears. Maybe that's what your hearing.

Try recreating that noise again and press down the clutch pedal. If it dissapears then is just the TOB.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
tob??? i also get this with my A/C and the car is new LOL
Old Aug 4, 2007, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlueDemon
Man the dealersh** you went to don't know smack about evos but if by luck they get to fix your problem then good for you.

My evo also makes a noise when the A/C is on and is the TOB chatter noise that gets worse when the A/C is on, when is off it dissapears. Maybe that's what your hearing.

Try recreating that noise again and press down the clutch pedal. If it dissapears then is just the TOB.
I tried this earlier today & sure enough, when i put the clutch in, the noise went away. My car has a new clutch (3 months old), I bought my car at a dealership and couldnt talk to the original owner. So I googled the guys name on the title & called him. It was the owners dad & he said they JUST put a new clutch in, but didnt know the brand. He said it was expensive though. Anyhow, the clutch sucks IMO. I got locked out of any gear if i try to shift fast over 5000 rpm. Figure the TOB wasnt replaced either.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 02:01 AM

yea all mitsbishis have rattling throw out bearings lol it just comes with the program
Old Aug 5, 2007, 02:03 AM

oh and the paper thin fenders also lol ever tried laping your fenders with ur nail gently u can hear its like paper thin
Old Aug 5, 2007, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Its a normal noise, I have yet to hear one that doesn't do it. It isn't tied to any other issue.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

Whew! That's a relief. I thought I was the special guy with the noisy AC.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrackerJackToy
I tried this earlier today & sure enough, when i put the clutch in, the noise went away. My car has a new clutch (3 months old), I bought my car at a dealership and couldnt talk to the original owner. So I googled the guys name on the title & called him. It was the owners dad & he said they JUST put a new clutch in, but didnt know the brand. He said it was expensive though. Anyhow, the clutch sucks IMO. I got locked out of any gear if i try to shift fast over 5000 rpm. Figure the TOB wasnt replaced either.
Yeah it is recommended to change the TOB for every clutch replacement you do on the car. Sometimes a mechanic may determine that the TOB could be re-used if there's no noticeable problem with the TOB but most mechanic (the good ones at least) will tell you to change the TOB just to be on the safe side. You woldn't want to drop the transmission again cuz u re-used the TOB and something went wrong with it after one night at the track, Ouch!

Oh yeah the TOB noise you hear right now is perfectly normal with the evos unless it gets really bad and you get stuck on a gear that you can't get out of.

Edit: Also if adjusting the clutch pedal to change the engagement point won't fix the lockout issue, go to a good shop that have past experiences with evos and asked them for their advice on the problem. Maybe is the clutch, maybe not. I wouldn't trust the dealership for any transmission/engine related problem cuz their usual answer is to replace random parts with new ones and that may come out of your pockets .

Last edited by BlueDemon; Aug 5, 2007 at 09:11 AM.