Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2.4 Evolution 9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2003, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by N/A
Whats wrong with the 6A13 motor from the Mitsubishi Legnum VR4?
Yeah, I think it is a 2.5L. However, I think its been cancelled. Japanese regs are getting about as tight as ours our and Mitsu has been cutting engines too. I don't think the 6A12(3) would ever have worked over here. I've noticed their new Minivan will use a 2.4L SOHC MIVEC. Maybe its the same 4G69 we'll see in the Sportback, Ralliart, and base Eclipse and Galant. I think they're having to cut back and simplify the line by using similar engines everywhere to save money.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 07:45 AM
N/A
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to have the old 6A12 powered 93 Galant VR4. That thing was a dog. Way too heavy for its power. Probably didn't help that it was only a 2.0L V6TT motor. Ended up being broadsided by a taxi that ran a stopsign.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GPTourer

Yeah, I think it is a 2.5L. However, I think its been cancelled. Japanese regs are getting about as tight as ours our and Mitsu has been cutting engines too. I don't think the 6A12(3) would ever have worked over here. I've noticed their new Minivan will use a 2.4L SOHC MIVEC. Maybe its the same 4G69 we'll see in the Sportback, Ralliart, and base Eclipse and Galant. I think they're having to cut back and simplify the line by using similar engines everywhere to save money.
The 3.8l 6G75 is nice on bottom end power, but it does lack top end power and fuel economy, as evidenced in the Montero version (then again the Montero just simply needs a V8 )

I agree that the 6G72 is reliable and smooth (the smooth tranny really saps power though). Considering that the DOHC 6G72 version that powered the first Diamante LS in the early nineties gave 222hp, the effect of tighter emmission controls really shows (and also points to the need for an update... MIVEC maybe... )

The 6A13 V6 (and 6A12 from the FTO) in N/A form still powers the Japanese Diamante, but the V-4 has been discontinued. Not so much die to emmission regs as to lack of sales and production costs.

You are correct, the 4G69 is the same engine that will power the RalliArt Lancers, the new Galant 4-banger, the more powerful Outlander, and the Japanese Grandis mini-van.

N/A I always thought the Galant VR4 was powerd by a single turbo 4G63. I know that a non-MIVEC N/A 6A12 is used in the Taiwanese Galant...

Last edited by evomk8; Jul 3, 2003 at 07:50 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evomk8

The 3.8l 6G75 is nice on bottom end power, but it does lack top end power and fuel economy, as evidenced in the Montero version (then again the Montero just simply needs a V8 )
Agreed, dammit. A V8 is supposedly in the works. What I really need is a V8 2WD Montero to combat all the Tahoes and Sequoias, but it'll never happen. There'd just as likely be a N/A V6 FWD Evo. Still, I like having a vehicle that's cheaper and better quipped then a Pilot or Highlander (when it comes to the Endeavor) and I think the engine is great.
I agree that the 6G72 is reliable and smooth (the smooth tranny really saps power though). Considering that the DOHC 6G72 version that powered the first Diamante LS in the early nineties gave 222hp, the effect of tighter emmission controls really shows (and also points to the need for an update... MIVEC maybe... )
True. If they weren't bleeding red ink in the nineties. Mitsu could probably had made something great out of the DOHC MIVEC V6's like they used in the Pajero Evolutions, but I think excessive costs made it impossible to keep the program going. Still, you will see the ultimate form of the SOHC 3.8 in manual tranny equipped Eclipse.
I always thought the Galant VR4 was powerd by a single turbo 4G63.
The only Galant VR-4's this country ever saw were 4G63T's, but when the 7G body style came out '93, they switched to a V6TT.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jul 3, 2003 at 08:11 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Agreed, dammit. A V8 is supposedly in the works. What I really need is a V8 2WD Montero to combat all the Tahoes and Sequoias, but it'll never happen.
Well there was the 4.5l V8 from the Proudia/Dignity, but it was GDI. Maybe they can change the head and air intake system to create a standard V8... Rumor has it a DCX V8 will simply be used in the next gen Montero which might share platforms with the new M-Class and Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2006.

Still, I like having a vehicle that's cheaper and better quipped then a Pilot or Highlander (when it comes to the Endeavor) and I think the engine is great.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Endeavor too, as well as its power and handling.

True. If they weren't bleeding red ink in the nineties. Mitsu could probably had made something great out of the DOHC MIVEC V6's like they used in the Pajero Evolutions, but I think excessive costs made it impossible to keep the program going.
was concentrating a lot of resources on the GDI development and let MIVEC fall to the side. That's part of the reason it's still "only" a two-stage system. With the reintroduction of MIVEC into a number of models, hopefully more R&D money will go into updating MIVEC and make it fully variable.

Still, you will see the ultimate form of the SOHC 3.8 in manual tranny equipped Eclipse.

The only Galant VR-4's this country ever saw were 4G63T's, but when the 7G body style came out '93, they switched to a V6TT.
I think I remember. Wasn't it the Eterna 4-door hatchback that featured it...
Old Jul 3, 2003, 09:26 AM
N/A
Evolving Member

The turbo AWD model was the 4dr Galant. There was an Eterna model which was FWD and hatchback. I lived in Japan for almost six years so I had a chance to own a 93 model. The electronic suspension thing was more of a pain in the *** then anything sporty. Getting to the back 3 spark plugs sucked since it required you to remove all the intercooler piping and take off the intake manifold to get to them. There also wasn't anything in the way of aftermarket support. I sold that car and bought a Pulsar GTI-R.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Well there was the 4.5l V8 from the Proudia/Dignity, but it was GDI. Maybe they can change the head and air intake system to create a standard V8... Rumor has it a DCX V8 will simply be used in the next gen Montero which might share platforms with the new M-Class and Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2006.
Yeah, they tried to stuff a MB 4.3L V8 into the current Montero, but it just wouldn't fit. I had thought Mitsu was developing their own, because the Diamante was supposed to receive a radical change in 2005, and the engine might go to it too. But, MMNA's lease with the Austrailain plant also goes away in '05, So the Diamante might also just become a stretched Galant produced here. Or it might go away entirely, we don't know yet.

If they do produce an "i"Mivec system, it would be best put to use on some sort of GT car first, to trickle down to the regular cars, kinda like VTEC did from the NSX. But I think I'd rather see Mitsu go the route of Subaru and Volvo and just put turbos on EVERYTHING!
Old Jul 3, 2003, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, they tried to stuff a MB 4.3L V8 into the current Montero, but it just wouldn't fit. I had thought Mitsu was developing their own, because the Diamante was supposed to receive a radical change in 2005, and the engine might go to it too. But, MMNA's lease with the Austrailain plant also goes away in '05, So the Diamante might also just become a stretched Galant produced here. Or it might go away entirely, we don't know yet.

If they do produce an "i"Mivec system, it would be best put to use on some sort of GT car first, to trickle down to the regular cars, kinda like VTEC did from the NSX. But I think I'd rather see Mitsu go the route of Subaru and Volvo and just put turbos on EVERYTHING!
Yeah! Turbos rule!!

The Diamante for the Australian market (Magna/Verada) is going to be the new U.S. Galant, with a few exterior changes. In Japan, the Diamante is either going to be discontinued or based on a streched version of the yet to be announced Japanese Galant update/replacement.
The Diamante will move to U.S. production if sees a need for it.
The radical update your mentioning is actually an Australian built streched version of the U.S. Galant to be specifically created for the U.S. market. The car is slated as a 2006 model (2005 calendar year release) and it would be awesome if they put a V8 in there (no word yet on engines to be used...)
Where did you hear that an MB 4.3l V8 was attempted to be placed in the Montero? Because the short, but long stroke 4.5 V8 GDI did fit in the Montero bay (never produced due to cost).
I really wonder how much truth there is to the M-Class/Jeep Grand Cherokee/Montero platform sharing deal? If that does happen, a V8 would be absolutely no problem.

Man, we totally hijacked this thread

Last edited by evomk8; Jul 3, 2003 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Where did you hear that an MB 4.3l V8 was attempted to be placed in the Montero? Because the short, but long stroke 4.5 V8 GDI did fit in the Montero bay (never produced due to cost).
Its what our district rep kept telling us. We all got so hyped about it, and they suddenly told is it didn't work out. Then the 3.8L just sort of showed up without much fanfare. This picture intrigues because it shows that weird Montero concept with a V8 badge. I wonder whats under the hood.
I really wonder how much truth there is to the M-Class/Jeep Grand Cherokee/Montero platform sharing deal? If that does happen, a V8 would be absolutely no problem.
I wouldn't want anything from chrysler except a Hemi V8, and even that I would be leery about. I'd much rather have M-B input. Perhaps Chrysler will just be along for the ride with the benefit of German and Japanese technology.
Man, we totally hijacked this thread
Yeah, but it all started with talking about future engines from Mitsubishi. Looks like theres only going to be a few, and DOHC heads with MIVEC still looks like a pipe dream.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

whoops, forgot to attach the pic:
Attached Thumbnails 2.4 Evolution 9-mondov8.jpg  
Old Jul 3, 2003, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Truth be told, the Pajero EVO 2+2 only "wore" the V-8 badge. There was no actual V8 under the hood...
That's why there are no pictures of the engine or the car with the hood up...
Part of the DCX platform sharing rumor is that the Jeep 4.7l V8 will also power the next Montero.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Truth be told, the Pajero EVO 2+2 only "wore" the V-8 badge.
Really... damn what a bummer. I thought they were testing some sort of 4.0/4.5L for production in the Paris to Dakar rally, I didn't know it was an older engine from the Proudia, Hyundai Equus or whatever it was called.

Gawd, I don't want any Chrysler parts in these cars. We went through that with the N/T DSM's and it was a nightmare. Hopefully they will wise up and let Mitsu develop their own, or break 'em off proper like with a 5.0L Mercedes motor.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 04:50 PM

Thats a lot of power for the new evo 9 comign out supposedly..but i agree that i wouldn't want it to be oz to evo 8 to evo to evo 9....plus if that car does come out..subaru will just right back at them wit another powerful beast
Old Jul 3, 2003, 05:39 PM

the 2.4 doesn't even come close to passing emmissions control, heck neither does the 2.0 in it's natural state!!!! Plus it would be cheaper if we all bought the stoker kit from (it's either VR racing or Ultimate) to get the 2.356 liter. Only $3000. Here in florida, a used Evo VIII only goes for about $23,000.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

how many used evo 8's have you seen for 23,000?

Quick Reply: 2.4 Evolution 9