Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So I just bought an eBay Exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:12 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grats on the ebay exhaust. I'll wait for your post in a year when your flange welds break on you and you shell another 300 on another ebay exhaust.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by W_evo8
Hell yeah man go for it. Show these guys that you don't have to treat it like a ferrari its just a upgrade from a DSM. In a few years evos will be known for their crappy transmissions(if their not alreay, I've seen the recals) and reliablity issues just give it a few more years.
Upgraded DSM? Come onnnnnnnn
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBS
Grats on the ebay exhaust. I'll wait for your post in a year when your flange welds break on you and you shell another 300 on another ebay exhaust.
I've had mine for over 2 years now and over 45,000 miles still looks awesome and no sign of any cracking on welds.
OP...some people are pissed they spent so much on something they could have easily saved on, only afraid to admit it.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W_evo8, I wouldn't go that far. This thread is about a cheap exhaust, not your assessment of the Evo.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Sound
good job in sponsoring some dumbfnck who ripped of a design from a reputable company.
i wonder how many R&D hours they've put into developing that exhaust....?
If the big performance companies or whoever truly put all that R&D time into making a cat back exhaust for the Evo, wouldn't each company's version be so unique that it would be patented? If it was truly a result of thousands of man hours of R&D like they want you to think, wouldn't their exhausts be hard to duplicate? And there wouldn't be companies in the US legally making them and selling them on Ebay because of patent laws. The only thing patented on any given Catback is the trademark logo on the tip. Since it's just a 3 inch pipe, bent around the contours of a car, I don't think that much R&D went into creating it in the first place. As another member said, any local shop with a pipe bending machine can manufacture something similar in a day or two. I'm sure the R&D time is different for other performance parts like cams etc.... but not exhaust systems, and certainly not bolt-on catbacks. The big companies all use a standard size pipe and one of probably 5 different muffler styles, and then stamp it with their logo and sell it for 3 times what its worth. Ebay catbacks are the same, without the logo, and sell it for 1/3 the price. If you want to support the big companies, buy their products that set them apart, or that are truly unique on the market. Maybe then they will get discouraged from overcharging their loyal customers...
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor

Pipe is pipe. I'm sure the big name companies didn't spend an *** load of money on R&D for ****ing pipes. It's mainly the muffler portion that gets all the attention. You ever notice how much a good aftermarket muffler sells for? Ebay exhausts have a cheap muffler and that is why they are so cheap, and loud.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
I've had mine for over 2 years now and over 45,000 miles still looks awesome and no sign of any cracking on welds.
OP...some people are pissed they spent so much on something they could have easily saved on, only afraid to admit it.
People sometimes have to talk just to talk, lex. Glad to see its working good for you.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BBYBruno
I'm totally with you guys. I bought an eBay exhaust system for my Mercedes SL 65AMG. It sounds totally awesome and I can feel the extra power! It was only $300.00 shipped for the whole system!
i'm speechless....
Old Aug 7, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

you guys cry too much.

I spent 350 on an APEXi Noir exhaust, and thats not including my XS engineering DP which cost 125 and a tpipe for 40 I sort of wish the ebay exhaust was around for 250 and I would have went for that instead... Seems like the only problem with these is for cars with ACD, i read some other posts that the ACD is pretty much a hit n miss for DP fitment. Otherthan that its a good buy. exchaust pipes i dont think get hot enough to where the "tig" welds would break off.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 01:41 PM

The ebay exhaust is working out for me very well. Only about 1.5k miles on it so far, but a visual inspection of the welds leads me to believe they're in no danger of busting any time soon. Not to mention exhausts aren't under a lot of pressure anyway being downstream of the turbine and all. The exhaust is pretty, has a nice sound, and performs well.

There is one drawback, which is that it does not fit an evo 9 out of the box. The down pipe must be hammered out to clear the 9's larger transfer case, but I watched the guy that installed my exhaust do this and it was not too difficult. He used a plain old claw hammer, though in retrospect I would use a sledge and a blow torch since we noted the metal was easier to work when warm (we had to pound it twice...the second time we took it off the car when warm).

I understand from others I have talked to that the Buschur exhausts are significantly harder to fit that this one, even taking the hammering into account.

I am not sure I have the exact same exhaust as the OP. It looks the same and is about the same price, but the seller is different. Mine is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...150009331&rd=1

Exhaust is a matter of personal taste, so I think it's pretty useless to debate which is best. However, I don't think you can debate that if you're after value first and foremost, this is the one for you.

Last edited by Joehunk; Aug 7, 2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

I think the ebay exhausts shoud work plenty fine. I mean how hard is it to weld a metal pipe to another metal pipe??? However, I bought a carbon-ti because well I just like having a carbon-ti. People on these boards shouldn't jump all over each other cause of personal preference.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Ebay exhausts look like they will burn the hell out of your bumper. More pics?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 02:11 PM

Here is a no-burnt-bumper (but slightly dirty after a trip to Dallas) pic for ya (click to enlarge):
Old Aug 7, 2007, 02:14 PM

Let us know how it is holding up after a few years of driving. See what kind of durability you can get for $300.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sr20kidD
you guys cry too much.

I spent 350 on an APEXi Noir exhaust, and thats not including my XS engineering DP which cost 125 and a tpipe for 40 I sort of wish the ebay exhaust was around for 250 and I would have went for that instead... Seems like the only problem with these is for cars with ACD, i read some other posts that the ACD is pretty much a hit n miss for DP fitment. Otherthan that its a good buy. exchaust pipes i dont think get hot enough to where the "tig" welds would break off.
The best bang for buck solution for ACD cars seems to be the Generic or E-bay Catbacks (mine fits, sounds great and is made by Tsudo) + the Megan Racing V2 DP (no flex section). I wanted a brand name exhaust at first but my local tuner convinced me to save my money for better mods with the "3 inch pipe is a 3 inch pipe" argument. So I have this combo on my DD IX, it never rubbed and cleared everything perfect. I have nothing bad to say about the catback after 8k miles or the dp after almost 1k. Install of the DP was a snap, no bending or hammering either. Bottom line, if money is not an object, and your taste requires it, go for the brand you like so that it matches your other brand name parts. You're expensive parts look great when you're at a car show or at a Evo meet. If you got a budget, and are interested in function rather than form, you have a great alternative at about half or 1/3 the price.
See the fitment under the car:

And it's nowhere near touching the rear bumper:

and 7K miles later....still looks perfect:

Last edited by E\/0IXG$R; Aug 7, 2007 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: So I just bought an eBay Exhaust...