Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tial wastegate not opening all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tial wastegate not opening all of a sudden

Ok, so I have the Tial 44mm Wastegate on my 3065 running a Hallman MBC.

For some reason the wastegate is not opening anymore. I was just wondering if anybody else had this problem before.

I noticed that it was not opening as the car is a lot quieter, and there is no boost controll........good thing I checked it this morning.

I know I will have to take the wastegate apart, but I was just looking for some insight from someone that has had a similar problem or has taken the wastegate apart.

Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

The plan is to take brake cleaner to the inside of the housing and try to clean off whatever is making the valve stick..
Old Aug 7, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcconn9
The plan is to take brake cleaner to the inside of the housing and try to clean off whatever is making the valve stick..
yea it sounds like there is some corrosion in the WG. the easy part is that they aren't too hard to dissassemble!

Strange that this happend with a Tial product, i've never heard of any other cases.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 08:00 AM
Former Sponsor

inspect the vacuum lines from the boost source, to the boost controller, to the wastegate itself. make sure there are no defects in the line. if the lines are ok, then take apart the valve. if the diaphragm has a tear in it that will certainly be why it isn't opening.

you might also want to verify it isn't the boost controller itself. bypass the boost controller and see if you can get the spring pressure from the wastegate.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
inspect the vacuum lines from the boost source, to the boost controller, to the wastegate itself. make sure there are no defects in the line. if the lines are ok, then take apart the valve. if the diaphragm has a tear in it that will certainly be why it isn't opening.

you might also want to verify it isn't the boost controller itself. bypass the boost controller and see if you can get the spring pressure from the wastegate.
Gotcha, so to bypass the boost controller, simply unplug both of the lines going to the mbc I would assume.

The lines seem fine and intact themselves and no apparent leaks are coming from them. I thought it was the boost controller at first as well, but the boost controller just controlls boost. The wastegate shoudl still open even if the boost controller would be defective and would run spring pressure, which should be around 22lbs I assume with the 44 gate.

Last edited by kmcconn9; Aug 7, 2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Update:

I removed the wastegate and the piston moved freely as it should and the diaphram did not have a tear in it.

So, tommorow morning I am going to remove the line going from the wastegate to the mbc and see what happens. I should get wastegate spring pressure, which is around 22lbs I believe.

If I get spring pressure, then we know it has something to do with either the mbc lines or the mbc itself.....
Old Aug 8, 2007, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well, it is definatly the wastegate as I bypassed the MBC by unhooking the line going to the wastegate from the MBC and the gate did not even budge at 31 lbs...

I am pretty sure that the spring combo in the gate is large blue + small blue for about 15 lb spring pressure..

So I guess I will be ordering a new wastegate....
Old Aug 8, 2007, 05:56 AM
Former Sponsor

no that is incorrect

in order to bypass the boost controller you need to take the vacuum lines from the MBC and connect them together!

if you disconnect the wastegate all together you'll never open the valve.. eek! hope you lifted quickly or are on race gas... 31 psi is a lot for pump gas.

so in review, the wastegate, in order to run spring pressure, you need to have a single vacuum line from any boost source, going directly into the side port of the tial. the top port should be open, and there should be no MBC anywhere in the system.

Last edited by KevinD; Aug 8, 2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

haha, oops. I am running meth, so 31 lbs is what i usually run. I will go try the correct way to bypass the boost controller and see what happens...haha

Thanks...brb
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Well the wastegate is fine is it opened right at 15lbs.

So the vaccume lines must be fine if the wastegate is opening, so it must be the MBC...
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

How can I test the MBC to see if it is actually bad or not?

I have the Old school Hallman MBC, that when you screw off the top portion there is a black cover over the spring inside.

I think the new ones allow you access to the spring.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:18 AM
Former Sponsor

what kind of MBC is it? and how do you have it hooked up? if you could draw a diagram or take a picture it will help. plus, make sure you indicate specifically which nipple on the MBC you have going where. it does make a difference.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

I have the bottom nipple going to the LICP. And the Side nipple going to the side port of the wastegate.

It is the standerd Hallamn Pro MBC. Its about 3 years old at least.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:28 AM
Former Sponsor

ok, here is how you should have it:

vacuum line from boost source should go to the bottom port of the hallman. the side port of the hallman should go to the side port of the tial. adjust hallman to minimum boost (the knob should be turned counter clockwise as far as it will go).

if you are using both ports of the tial, then you need to hook it up a little differently.

vacuum source goes to a vacuum Tee. you can get Tees at autozone. one side of the Tee goes to the side port of the tial. the other end of the Tee goes to the bottom port of the hallman. the side port of the hallman goes to the top of the tial. in this case, you want to adjust the MBC to max boost by turning the knob clockwise until it stops. to increase boost you will actually adjust it by turning it counter clockwise.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, so I took apart the MBC. The you can simply unscrew the Vaccume line fittings and if you unscrew the one from the bottom the ball and spring will come out. The ball was pressed inside the one fitting pretty good so I removed the spring and ball and cleaned them off.

When I put it back together, with the mbc all the way out (-), you can hear the ball move around. Which is correct I would think as the boost controller is on the minimal setting...

Yea, I have it hooked up correctly which I thought I did. I believe the ball was just stuck. I am going out to test it with the new cleaned ball and spring on the minimal setting and see whats happens.

Quick Reply: Tial wastegate not opening all of a sudden