Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Replacement Window Price?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2003, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Window Price?

Does anyone know what a reasonable price for this would be?

Someone busted out the small window (quarter one?) in the rear driver side left door. The dealer I called, Frank Parra in Irving, quoted me $89 for the part and $160 for the labor because it is "labor intensive."

Does that seem a little high? I am getting it done tomorrow morning while I wait but I'm wondering if I would be better off calling a general auto-glass place.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe you could buy the part and have it replaced at an auto glass place that doesn't charge as much labor.....just a thought...
Old Jul 1, 2003, 09:58 AM

That's an idea. I don't have any experience with this, so it is hard to make an educated guess. Do you honestly think it would take 2 hours to get the part in? I could see that being true if the door had to come apart. But if it is just a matter of removing the seals around that one little pane and replacing them...
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

I would call around the auto glass places and get an estimate of the labor required to get the particular glass in the door. Get an average and thats how you would gauge the difficulty of this job.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

The dealers usually call in an outside glass shop to do the work anyways, so you're better off just skipping the middleman and finding your own.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Then again, if the dealer can have the work done quickly, why waste time without a window? Spending a little more for expedited work is a good way to go.

The price is a little high, but I'd be willing to pay just to have the car back in one piece.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 02:53 PM

Ends up they ordered it on my card when I called the first time, so I'm semi-stuck with the dealer.

I called this chain that picks up your car at work and brings it back before you leave. They were $40 less. Another place charged parts (which would be the same) + $75 and they came and worked on your car in the lot.

Lesson learned: call around before you call the dealer at 8am right after it happened.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

If you didn't confirm that they were allowed to use your card, then they're in serious ****.

Tell them "no," record a complaint with your CC company and go to the cheaper place.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

I'm serious, go to www.triumphglass.com and get them to install the glass for you. You make an appointment with them, and THEY COME TO YOUR LOCATION!!! and install the glass. On top of that they are dirt cheap, and they do a superb job! I highly recommend their services. They also accept most insurance policies if your glass is covered.