Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Which one to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awdwannabe
or maybe I'm just confused... ALL MR's come with 6-speeds correct?? just wondering cause in Dead-man's sig. it says 5-speed MR...
i'm not from the US dude .. The Japanese Provided a 6spd MR , a 6spd MR RS, a 5spd MR RS which is the one i got.

but these aint an option for the USA

Diffrent country = Diffrent Specs..

in the US the MR is offered only in 6 speed
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LancerEvo135
i dont think there ever was a '05 tarmac black MR
your right
never was a 05 black mr
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:30 AM
Evolved Member

or maybe I'm just confused... ALL MR's come with 6-speeds correct?? just wondering cause in Dead-man's sig. it says 5-speed MR...
all usdm mrs do
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

Since your goals are essentially to get rid of same major components either way in search of high horsepower, you might as well go with the 03 with fewer miles and the AEM EMS. The stock ECU is great for flashing, but if you have the opportunity to get the AEM then it's really a no brainer. However, I would definitely be weary of a car that has that considering it is not that necessary unless you are exceeding the 500 hp range. I would suspect that it may have had other parts that may have required such an upgrade. That car has a very small amount of mods to justify spending almost $2000 before install and tune. That being said, if you really do think you will be hitting 700 hp, you will definitely have to upgrade to an AEM EMS which is $2000 with small supporting parts and wideband. Installing it is also a very tedious process.

The main thing to point out though is that there are no 05 TB MR's. 2005 was the first year that the US received the MR and there were only 1000 made. More importantly they exclusively were only available in graphite gray. If it is a black evo that you are looking at, then either the information wasn't accurate or someone went through the trouble to put the badging and wheels on a gsr (which would be f*cking retarded and a waste of money). The only plus side of this is that hopefully it was listed as an 05 when it should've said 06. I highly doubt that though considering the price of the car. If for some reason it is an 06 MR, then you clearly would want that for obvious reasons such as MIVEC and such. Other than that, the lack of ACD on the 03 doesn't really matter since you are only interested in occasionally drag racing.

If you get the correct VIN numbers from the dealer, you can easily google them and find out exactly what year and model the evo's are. That should be your first step so you know exactly what you're dealing with and then proceed accordingly.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xx Danny xX
More importantly they exclusively were only available in graphite gray. .

also were available in white and red
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the quick reply's guys.. The only other really desiding factor is the payments.. I wanted to be around 400 a month after everything @ 60 months and with the 05 I'm right there.. but for the 03' even at 72 months it comes to around 410-415 a month..
But here's the link to both cars, and just so you guys know the pics of the 05' have CHANGED!! it no longer has the MR wheels but the stock VIII's, so hopefully you guys can just visually see if it's an MR or not.
The "supposed" MR
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...1000&cardist=1

Here's the 03'.. The only real thing that I hate on this car is the graphics down the sides.. but they should easily be removed right?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=10
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

looks like someone just put the MR badge on it. It's not an MR unless someone went through the trouble of painting it black, taking the VG off along with the aluminium roof and replacing the rims.

also just noticed, I think thats the wrong MR badge for an 05...

Last edited by AlohaEvo; Aug 11, 2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jakeg97
also were available in white and red
...and Apex Silver.

I forgot to add those last night because it was really late and I haven't slept in forever. I meant to say that it wasn't available in black. If it were a black evo then that would be the first sign of a false advertisement.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Its not an MR
Old Aug 11, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the quick reply's guys.. The only other really desiding factor is the payments.. I wanted to be around 400 a month after everything @ 60 months and with the 05 I'm right there.. but for the 03' even at 72 months it comes to around 410-415 a month..
But here's the link to both cars, and just so you guys know the pics of the 05' have CHANGED!! it no longer has the MR wheels but the stock VIII's, so hopefully you guys can just visually see if it's an MR or not.
The "supposed" MR
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...1000&cardist=1

Here's the 03'.. The only real thing that I hate on this car is the graphics down the sides.. but they should easily be removed right?
Yeah...this is definitely not an MR it is just a normal Evo VIII GSR. If you run the VIN number in google, you would see that. Looking at the pictures, it is clearly not an MR. It is black, has RS/GSR wheels, no VG, five speed shifter, no MR gauges, and also it has no ridges running down the length of the roof letting you know that it is aluminum.

If everything checks out on the silver car, I would suggest to buy this one. The only benefits of buying the black 05 such as ACD and what not are not really important to someone who just wants to drag race the car. Other than that, they are the same excpet that the silver one is older. It has less mileage which is important due to the fact that the car will eventually become much less reliable once it has such a high amount of horsepower. Obviously, the least amount of mileage will allow you to enjoy the car a lot longer with or without the high horsepower.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:06 PM

Yes, they are easy to take off, and I doubt those are 18x10 wheels. The highest offset they make the GT-7s in in the "offset a" design (which is the one it looks like in the picture) that will clear evo calipers and still fit in is a +29. The picture looks more like 18x9+36.

Last edited by outbost; Aug 12, 2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

I'd get the 03 Evo it has Volks and just remove those awful side stickers.
I think whomever had that 05 Evo beat the living **** out of it. I'd steer clear from that car.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xx Danny xX
...and Apex Silver.

ah yes
i havent seen one of those yet
ot- but i still think the 05 red mr is the rariest of all evos
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

btw- get the 03
after everything you want to do, the 03 model would be your best bet

the 05 is already a shaddy deal starting with an incorrect model- what would be next is my next question
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

awdwannabe, u have already answered ur own question. if ur looking to do a big turbo monster, the '03 is gonna work best out of these 2. now there is cause for concern on that MR:

1) all 1200 '05 MR's sold in the US were Graphite Gray only
2) all MR's come factory with a 6spd trans
3) the 6spd is best suited for MILDLY modded cars and Road Race type activity
4) yes there are ppl on here that have 5spd trans in their MR's bcuz they most likely drag race them & there have been problems with 3rd gear on the 6spd mostly from that application.

based on the mileage of the supposed "05" it would appear that it is a regular EVO VIII. u will have to verify the VIN to be certain of the year. my guess is that it's a 2004. there are Tarmac Black '06 MR's but no one would be that stupid to let 1 go for $18k even w/50k on the odometer UNLESS it has serious problems.

also keep in mind that August is the new year for cars so any car u look at other than a 2008 model car has JUST AGED 1 year which now drops the value even lower. EVO's are holding value ok for the most part since they only made 6000/year but dealers also know that when 1 gets traded it's like a used Porsche meaning it was Rode Hard And Put Away Wet!!!!

do ur research & extensive checking with someone who knows how to look 4 damage & signs of extreme abuse on these cars or u will be very sorry & end up with a MONEY PIT!

a big turbo on racefuel don't mean sheat on the street w/out a useable powerband. for example, i have seen an EVO in Tucson, az with a GT37R on his 2.0L which didn't have full boost until 6K rpm & then he had to shift by 7K rpm!!! sure it made 500whp, but street driveability no longer existed & he got beat at the dragstrip by a N/A Integra!!!!!