Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Which one to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
u can also tell the '05 isn't an MR by looking at the gear shift. it doesn't have the ring to go into reverse below the knob. the VIN indicates it's an '05 so it is def a regular evo8. as far as payments go, here is a good rule of thumb:

$20 for $1000 you finance-the higher your credit score/income, then that "20" begins to decrease.

for example, if u financed $25000 including taxes & fees with no money down, your payment would be roughly $500/month for 60months (5yr loan)

when buying a car, NEVER EVER focus on payment. that's how they screw you. you will be paying such a high payment that u won't even be able to mod it. what u need to do is go thru your bank 1st to see what u can qualify for. then they can tell u what u can afford as far as the PRICE of the car is concerned. based on the price u prequal for, u can then estimate ur payments. banks will avoid used cars that are : a) 5yrs from the new car year (all '03s just turned 5 on aug.1), &/or b) over 80k miles. if there is an issue with credit, your best bet is to buy brand new bcuz then the bank has full equity in the car & can resell easier if you forfeit the loan due to inability on making payments

if ur paying cash for the car that's a different story.

u also need to check with ur insurance company on rates for the EVO. insurance agents treat it as a higher risk then a Porsche 911TT bcuz the evo is essentially the same car just 75% cheaper which gives it more purchasing access to idiotic, reckless drivers who make just enuff to pay the payment.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input guys. I went and looked at the 05' today seeing it's only a mile down the road from my house and the first thing I looked at was the shifter, and indeed it's a 5-speed. Which is fine by me, I'd rather have the 5-speed. The thing I'm thinking about is both cars the 03' and 05' when ready would both under-go a 2.3L Stroker, fully built with the GT37r including the drivetrain.. So basically what I'm thinking as of now an 05' with 50k that is basically once everything is overhauled.. is going back to basically 0 miles on the motor & drivetrain.. with X amount of miles on the chassis, with the addition to the ACD. And as of right now even with the miles the 05' retails higher than the 03'.

So.. pay the near 2k extra for a car thats two years older and has less value, and has been modified.. or save myself the 2k and go with the 05? As far as the 05 goes I had a carfax printed out and it is a one owner, the previous owner actually works at the dealership but is getting married and has to down-grade. At every 3000 to 3200 miles the car was in for routine maintainace and check-ups so the car was well taken care of mechanically. I actually go to U.T.I. so I had them lift the car, I mic'd out the drilled/slotted rotors and they have plenty of life left in them.. while I was under the car there was not one spot of oil or fluid anywhere, everything was solid and in good condition. So after that I took it for a spin, and I've driven about 7 different evo's, some stock other's lightly modded.. and this one was the smoothest running/shifting one I've been in yet.. every gear was like butter. After getting back I hooked up with the guy that previously owned it and asked him the basics that the salesman couldn't answer.. clutch, timing belt, mods.. etc.
The only mod. done to the car besides the drilled/slotted rotors along with the Hawk street pads, is a K&N drop in filter.. other wise completely stock, including the clutch, and timing belt.. But the weird thing was there was no slipping of the clutch at all, it engaged smoothly at about an inch off the floor-board so that kinda shocked me a bit.. and just for safety will probably be changed, if I do get it with-in a couple K miles.. As far as the timing belt that would be changed ASAP. Also the car will be coming with an extra set of brand new tires, right now it's on DR's... and they come with the car. He said the only reason he put the DR's on is because the car felt smoother to him and a little more adgile (sp?)

I know the decision is ultimately up to me, and if I'm just going to rebuild both motors from the ground up.. I might as well go with the car that has been documented and pretty close to stock right? so there won't be any questions or concerns what the previous owner put it through.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

double post.. sorry

Last edited by awdwannabe; Aug 11, 2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awdwannabe
Thanks for the input guys. I went and looked at the 05' today seeing it's only a mile down the road from my house and the first thing I looked at was the shifter, and indeed it's a 5-speed. Which is fine by me, I'd rather have the 5-speed. The thing I'm thinking about is both cars the 03' and 05' when ready would both under-go a 2.3L Stroker, fully built with the GT37r including the drivetrain.. So basically what I'm thinking as of now an 05' with 50k that is basically once everything is overhauled.. is going back to basically 0 miles on the motor & drivetrain.. with X amount of miles on the chassis, with the addition to the ACD. And as of right now even with the miles the 05' retails higher than the 03'.

So.. pay the near 2k extra for a car thats two years older and has less value, and has been modified.. or save myself the 2k and go with the 05? As far as the 05 goes I had a carfax printed out and it is a one owner, the previous owner actually works at the dealership but is getting married and has to down-grade. At every 3000 to 3200 miles the car was in for routine maintainace and check-ups so the car was well taken care of mechanically. I actually go to U.T.I. so I had them lift the car, I mic'd out the drilled/slotted rotors and they have plenty of life left in them.. while I was under the car there was not one spot of oil or fluid anywhere, everything was solid and in good condition. So after that I took it for a spin, and I've driven about 7 different evo's, some stock other's lightly modded.. and this one was the smoothest running/shifting one I've been in yet.. every gear was like butter. After getting back I hooked up with the guy that previously owned it and asked him the basics that the salesman couldn't answer.. clutch, timing belt, mods.. etc.
The only mod. done to the car besides the drilled/slotted rotors along with the Hawk street pads, is a K&N drop in filter.. other wise completely stock, including the clutch, and timing belt.. But the weird thing was there was no slipping of the clutch at all, it engaged smoothly at about an inch off the floor-board so that kinda shocked me a bit.. and just for safety will probably be changed, if I do get it with-in a couple K miles.. As far as the timing belt that would be changed ASAP. Also the car will be coming with an extra set of brand new tires, right now it's on DR's... and they come with the car. He said the only reason he put the DR's on is because the car felt smoother to him and a little more adgile (sp?)

I know the decision is ultimately up to me, and if I'm just going to rebuild both motors from the ground up.. I might as well go with the car that has been documented and pretty close to stock right? so there won't be any questions or concerns what the previous owner put it through.

i would agree.
the wheels and aem are nice. the rest is worthless to YOU.
the 2k extra on the aem is what you are saving. i would be scared of a car that has very basic bolt ons and a aem. either the person was uninformed or the car was heavily modded before.

the 05 is worth more as well.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

not sure about the 2005 MRs, but i have a black 2006 MR SE. i was really surprised it came in black but i guess the SE made it available in black.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

exactly.. so that's why I'm leaning torward the 05'.. Like I said, I know the decision is completely up to me which one I go with. BUT.. I have a feeling that it'll be sold before I get a chance to go back there on tuesday. Seeing my fiance wants to see the car, paper work.. blah blah and be there when it happens and she doesn't get back from Cali. until 5am monday morning.. but on monday I go to U.T.I. from 6:30am to 1:30 a 45min. drive home then have to be at work at 4:30 which really doesn't give me much time. Oh well, hopefully it'll still be there on tuesday so I can pick it up on my day off.. then if thats the case I'll have to change my screen name...
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hytek369
not sure about the 2005 MRs, but i have a black 2006 MR SE. i was really surprised it came in black but i guess the SE made it available in black.
it's a 05' VIII.. not an MR, found out for myself.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdwannabe
it's a 05' VIII.. not an MR, found out for myself.
pretty deceitful.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, all mr's are 6spd, the weaker trannny
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
..oops, skipped some pages..heh nm
Old Aug 12, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
1) all 1200 '05 MR's sold in the US were Graphite Gray only

ah...no
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlohaEvo
ah...no
sorry i meant to type that none of the 1200MR's in '05 sold here came in Tarmac Black
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Well wish me luck guys, I'm probably going with the 05' I just hope it's still there come Tuesday.. or else it looks like no Evo for me, cause the woman says the silver one "is too expensive.." Yea, she tells me what's too expensive when I'm paying for it no problem, along with giving her money for her new car and everything else.. typical.. Oh well.. it's the 05' or nothing..
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:04 PM

Id go with the MR....
Old Aug 12, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoPride
Id go with the MR....
lol, oh yeah?

and what was the point of this thread? Everyone told you the opposite of what you're going to do...why did you even ask? And why are these the only two evo's you're looking at? It's not like you're looking for anything too particular. I'd relax and wait till you get something you really want, not something quick.