Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Which one to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one to buy?

What's up guys, I'm in a bit of a situation here and I was hoping you guys could give me some insite on what I could, or should do in my situation.

Ok, first off I'm currently looking at two Evo's. One is a 03' VIII Apexi Silver with 34k on it with basic mods. (Intake, Exh. mani., 3" turbo back, ACT clutch, 18x10 Volks w/ 265x40 Pirellis, and has AEM EMS system) and is currently tuned to 310 AWHP on a mustang dyno. The second is an 05' Tarmac Black MR edition with 50k miles. The only mods. done to the MR are Drilled and Slotted rotors along with Hawk street pads.
Currently the asking price for the 03' VIII is: 20,800
The asking price for the 05' VIII MR is: 18,900!! *this is not a typo*

Now my future/ultimate goals are 700+AWHP with the GT37r on C-16 and around 525-550 on pump. Now this car will not be auto-crossed or taken to any circuit, just daily driven and occasionally down the 1/4.. so that's why I'm kinda looking at the 5-speed.. just one less gear to shift.. or take the cheaper 05' MR which has a higher value, and once everything gets built just have Shep. build me some custom gear ratios??
I've been looking at Evo's for a little over a year and a half trying to gain knowledge of them and what the differences between each model.. good/bad..
But this is one thing I just can't seem to come to a conclusion..
The VIII with mods. for nearly 21k... or the MR for 19???

Help would be very much appreciated...
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

the aem would be nice for future goals.
the clutch probably wouldnt last to long.
the rest of the parts would be taken out to meet your goals, except for some of the exhaust.

the mr doesnt have a factory clutch either. it would have been toasted at this point.

the mr is cheap, too cheap maybe..... that is low for trade in value.

the exhaust(the parts you are keeping) will be around 500. the aem ems is expensive. i think its about 2k. the volks are a nice addition, but they may not be your first choice of wheels.

now the questions is.
the first car has an aem in it.... could it have had more mods in it previously?

the mr doesnt have anything in it. did it at one point??

all things checking out, i would take the mr.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:26 PM

i dont think there ever was a '05 tarmac black MR
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:53 PM
awr
Evolving Member

use the force luke go with your gut instinct
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

personally i dont see why people buy MRs,i really dont..more money for an extra gear,and some other minor things.

if you future goal is to run a 37R then go with the 03 VIII.it already has the EMS,and you will be taking out the stock crappy turbo anyways.and seems to have some nice wide wheels as well,which is always a plus.

i would go with the 03 VIII,like i said i dont see the point in MRs
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:39 PM

go with the mr
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

So far it's kinda slit right down the middle with the two points I brought up... For the 2k I'd be saving going with the MR I could put right into it and be running 300+ to the wheels.. And the MR does come with the lightened roof, and upgraded suspension (even though it's not going for auto-cross or curcuit racing) and a few other things that the 05' alone has and the 03' doesn't.
I'm probably going to go look at both tomorrow, seeing both are at dealerships. And I used to work at one and I know how the games are played, but I looked up the black book value of an 05' MR with the 50k miles and it was 17,800 for "fair" now when you work at a dealership you always either give "fair" or "poor" pricing regaurdless of the condition of the car.. if it comes in spotless it's fair condition in the book, and if people agree with that price.. then they do.. if not, they'll give a little more here a little more there...
18,900 for an 05' MR in my mind is quite a steal, seeing with those kind of miles the car still retails for just over 26k..

More opinions are welcomed!!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerEvo135
i dont think there ever was a '05 tarmac black MR
there wasnt

Originally Posted by GT35REVO8
personally i dont see why people buy MRs,i really dont..more money for an extra gear,and some other minor things.

if you future goal is to run a 37R then go with the 03 VIII.it already has the EMS,and you will be taking out the stock crappy turbo anyways.and seems to have some nice wide wheels as well,which is always a plus.

i would go with the 03 VIII,like i said i dont see the point in MRs
I agree with Justin^^^

take it from me...I just got done de-mr-ing my car. The MR was nice when I first got it, but as my goals and ideas changed so did the car. At this point the only thing left MR on it is the VG and the center console. Not to mention the MR had the **** driven out of it! 50k on an 05! wow!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

just like alohaevo said,if your goals are too go with 37R then stick with 03...now if you want it for what it has and minor mods then thats up to you..

but if your going big power you will basically be taking a MR and modded it and making it non-MR if that makes any sense,lol.

damn dylan 50,000 miles!!!!damn,i hope after the 37R you have a DD car to drive instead,lol...i thought i drove a lot..

well dylan good luck with the tuning,i know it will be a beast.i leave for cali friday now,and then iraq in Dec.But still debating if i should keep it or get another car
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GT35REVO8
just like alohaevo said,if your goals are too go with 37R then stick with 03...now if you want it for what it has and minor mods then thats up to you..

but if your going big power you will basically be taking a MR and modded it and making it non-MR if that makes any sense,lol.

damn dylan 50,000 miles!!!!damn,i hope after the 37R you have a DD car to drive instead,lol...i thought i drove a lot..

well dylan good luck with the tuning,i know it will be a beast.i leave for cali friday now,and then iraq in Dec.But still debating if i should keep it or get another car
50k on the MR he's looking at..not mine, lol. Hell no, mine has 17k and only 1k on the new engine.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlohaEvo
50k on the MR he's looking at..not mine, lol. Hell no, mine has 17k and only 1k on the new engine.
oh haha,i was like damn dylan...my bad...did you get a DD or did you already have one?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

i drive my girls car...

sorry for the thread jack...get the 03! get the shep stage III tc and the 37r kit will take care of the hotside problem, plus are you sure it's an MR? Black 05 MR?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

wow .. did the MR lose value of $15k in a year a half ??
Old Aug 11, 2007, 01:40 AM
Evolving Member

Well I'm definately going tomorrow morning to check it out, it does have the MR badging in the pics, along with the MR rims.. but I couldn't get a clear view of the gear shift if it said 6-speed or 5-speed..
That'll be the factor point right there.. 5-speed I'll turn to the salesman and say.. I thought this was an MR.. "well it is" no it's not newb. MR's are 6-speeds.. I want more of a discount for false advertisement!.. nah.. but really, if it just a regular VIII.. you guys just say go for the 03' with the couple extra mods.?
And also the GT37r will be down the road, like I said the ulitmate goal.. which could be a couple years.. or should I sacrifice the miles and go with the car with the higher resell value as of right now?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

or maybe I'm just confused... ALL MR's come with 6-speeds correct?? just wondering cause in Dead-man's sig. it says 5-speed MR...