Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ported Throttle Body Questions..making Squealing noise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ported Throttle Body Questions..making Squealing noise

I have a ported TB by Buschur and a VSR IM by AMS and everytime I give the car gas it makes a squealing noise. and I asked a mechanic friend of mine and he said its probably air. and I was thinking it might be from my throttle body since it ONLY does it when I accelerate. my queation is: is this a normal thing with a ported throttle Body or is my throttlebody leaking??? I put my had around the part of the TB that attaches to thei IM and when I open the throttle plate I don't feel any air leaking from anywhere.

is this normal with a ported throttle body???

please help my tund date is Wednesday and I need this fixed before then
Old Aug 11, 2007, 04:00 PM
adx
Evolving Member

The sound you are hearing, is indeed Air passing by. Although it can be generated a few different ways. Chances are more so at partial throttle than full.

First, is the gasket the correct size? Is the IM port matched to the TB? Loose vacuum hose? CEL on? Boost leak?

Typically, big TBs will squeal slightly when at partial throttle, as much more air is moving through the TB than before.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adx
The sound you are hearing, is indeed Air passing by. Although it can be generated a few different ways. Chances are more so at partial throttle than full.

First, is the gasket the correct size? Is the IM port matched to the TB? Loose vacuum hose? CEL on? Boost leak?

Typically, big TBs will squeal slightly when at partial throttle, as much more air is moving through the TB than before.
Yes it is a partial throttle that I hear this squeal. probably around 15-25% throttle. the gasket is the stock size. and the intake manifold was flanged for a ported stock throttlebody. No vaccum leaks that I know of. and I'm not sure about boost leaks because I just recently built my engine and am untuned so I havent done any WOT pulls.

But I'm thinking it might be where I have a stock gasket that holds the TB to the IM or just a regular ported TB sound

thanks for the help though. anyone else have a ported TB that squeals???