Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo "sluggish" when first taking off?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn, thats a nice S2k. what are your numbers?
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EDIT: Sorry. I double posted.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 12, 2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hytek369
damn, thats a nice S2k. what are your numbers?
Thanks for the props!

Well, it hasn't been fully tuned because there was an issue controlling boost. At 13psi it made 472rwhp and 335ft-lbs @ 7400 RPMs. The engine can go to 8500 RPMs so long as the boost is kept under 13psi (bone stock engine). With another 1100 RPMs of tuning left, it should make at least 525rwhp @ 13psi.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

You need to get a tune and pronto! The Evo's factory fuel table is pig rich, to the point where the car tends to bog. Maybe this is contributing to your problem. Also, try shortening the WGA rod a couple turns, because if there is insufficient preload the spoolup is kinda doggie.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
You need to get a tune and pronto! The Evo's factory fuel table is pig rich, to the point where the car tends to bog. Maybe this is contributing to your problem. Also, try shortening the WGA rod a couple turns, for if there is insufficient preload the spoolup is kinda doggie.
I plan on waiting to have it tuned until the downpipe, test pipe and exhaust is installed. I am also going to have a Hallman MBC installed at that time.

What is this "WGA rod"?
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

quick question....well first....SICK SICK SICK s2k. I had to take my laptopn to the bathroom with me while looking at that pic lol jp jp jp. But for real....what made you want an eov when you have 500hp in that car? just another poject?
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

WGA=waste gate actuator.

There is a threaded adjustable rod which connects your turbo's integral wastegate puck(flapper valve) to the wastegate actuator. The actuator is located on a bracket mounted to the compressor housing.

You can improve spoolup and consequently increase lowend and midrange boost and ultimately HP and torque by tinkering with the preload tension on the wastegate. It usually comes set from the factory at 11 PSI. If you increase it to 15-17 PSI, things will happen sooner.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sEvoIXnTurboS2k
Cold? I live in San Diego and it never really gets cold. This past week it has been in the mid 80s, and even with these temperatures (and no, there is no heat soak) the car is sluggish from a dig.
dude i hear ya.what im saying is even when its warm out...(like in NY right now) if you drive right off immediatly after turning it over...sometimes you get some hestation till its a bit warm
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He said it's the wife's car.

Anyway, the stock rev limiter is 7606rpm, and I don't know what you mean by "fuel cutoff." That's what a rev limiter is - it cuts fuel. The USDM IXs have a built-in 5k stationary rev limiter that keeps you from revving higher from a standstill (a.k.a. launching). However, we raise that up when we get tuned to 6k usually. No, you won't be launching at 7500, but 5500-6000 will be about right.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ballallday89
quick question....well first....SICK SICK SICK s2k. I had to take my laptopn to the bathroom with me while looking at that pic lol jp jp jp. But for real....what made you want an eov when you have 500hp in that car? just another poject?
Its the wife's car.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
WGA=waste gate actuator.

There is a threaded adjustable rod which connects your turbo's integral wastegate puck(flapper valve) to the wastegate actuator. The actuator is located on a bracket mounted to the compressor housing.

You can improve spoolup and consequently increase lowend and midrange boost and ultimately HP and torque by tinkering with the preload tension on the wastegate. It usually comes set from the factory at 11 PSI. If you increase it to 15-17 PSI, things will happen sooner.
How does a Hallman MBC work in relation to this adjustable rod?
Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is not standard practice to touch the WGA. Just use the MBC to control boost.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1.. wga rod opens once exhaust pressure exceeds 13psi.. Air line goes from wg to mbc.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

alright, 500rwhp in a 2600 lbs car is just downright insane.

in. sane. your wife is awesome.

and yes, my IX with tbe, mbc, licp, drop-in filter and tune is still sluggish as **** from a take-off, especially on hot days like these few weeks with the a/c on...sometimes it drives me nuts just how little power there is.

sometimes what i do is i anticipate the light turning green, and right before it does i find the friction point and sometimes even let the car start moving a little bit, so once the light's green i'm not stuck on the same spot for a few seconds.

on normal temperature days the Evo's fine.

on another note the addition of the LICP and drop-in filter even BEFORE the tune really helped the Evo's low rpm/off line response.

compared to the ap1 with just aem v2, the Evo is sluggish as ***** from a stop.

compression, awd, WEIGHT are main factors IMHO.

edit: also check out www.socalevo.net if you havn't already
Old Aug 13, 2007, 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

Sick S2K. Very clean. One question, though... are you still on the stock motor and compression? If so, then you definitely live on the edge haha.

Quick Reply: Evo "sluggish" when first taking off?