Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car trouble (No power randomly)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car trouble (No power randomly)

Today I was driving on the highway going about 3k rpm's at a cruise (not randomly mashing it) in 5th gear. Out of nowhere the car loses power and the exhaust tone sounded deeper than usual. I started to head up a hill and it didnt seem like it wanted to go, so I put it in 4th gear and it had a little more power to it. While I was doing so, I had a very low vacuum and it wouldn't build hardly any if at all boost.

I was almost to my friends house down the next exit so I just slowed down to about 55mph and it would randomly feel like normal again. It just kept cutting in and out and felt like it had no power and then regular power. I'm not sure what the issue is.

It seems to only do it while I'm above 45MPH. Though, I babied it my friends house and then to a shop so I didn't really touch 3k rpm's in any gear once I noticed the issue. At the same time during all of this, when it was acting up it sounded like something was knocking in my engine.

Does anybody know of these symptoms as to what the issue might be?
My thoughts are either spark plugs or a blown head gasket. The car does tick every since I got the cam's installed from Buschur. So I didn't think anything of it. It did it in any gear while I was getting off of the highway. But once I let it sit for a while turned off, when I got backup to that speed it started doing it again. HELP!@#
Old Aug 16, 2007, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

was it really hot out?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I hope for your sake, it isnt rod knock.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may be something as simple as a loose intercooler hose.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 05:26 AM

I checked all pipes to the intercooler and I didn't notice anything loose. Everything feels tight on the car. This happened at night so it wasn't hot outside or that humid at all.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 05:35 AM

Check the fuelpump

It can be malfunctioning, or the rubbertip in the bottom have pushed loose a little bit so it pumps the fuel inside your tank, and barely get some thru the lines so your car behaves like that

Edit: Fuel regulator maybe? The reason i dont suspect boost leak is that you say it can go back to normal now and then

How do i know? It happened to me twice

Last edited by Evildead; Aug 16, 2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

It sounds like a leak. Did you do a boost leak check (with the tool)?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 05:56 AM

Well I was a baby last night and left it at a shop overnight because my friend knows pretty much everybody at the shop. They are going to take a look at it for me for free. I hope it's something small like the fuel pump because that's a quick replacement. The other side of me wants it to be a something in the engine so it gives me a reason to rebuild it lol. Oh well, I don't know what to wish for. I hope I find out later today.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Very odd, did you get a datalog from the AEM of the car while it was having the problem?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:25 PM

well, i don't have a laptop in my possession yet with a serial connection. I've tried the serial to usb connector and the software doesn't see it for w/e reason on my laptop. During the issue no SES light came on at all..
Old Aug 17, 2007, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

The SES light will not come on when the car has problems with the AEM.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:03 AM

With further inspection, a spark plug was the cause of this issue. According to the tech the spark plug melted a little bit and the end of it fell into the engine. I have yet to get a call back from him though. He currently is checking the engine to see if it has damaged anything on the inside. He didn't say how big of a piece the fell into the engine or anything.

I'm just going to assume that if anything fell into the engine that I will have to get it rebuilt. So I'm thinking 2.3L short block. Unless he calls me backs and crushes my dreams and then I just keep my 2.0. lol, I dont know what I want more.

I'll update once I get some more info.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

If a plug failed you should stop the work that is being done on the car and bring us the car. No way a plug should have failed, so I'd like to look the car over and find the cause. I tuned your car and the safety features are all set up on the alky kit through your AEM. So if there was a failure I want to find out why. If it is something that happened from an oversite on our part (which I highly doubt) it will be covered through us.

If someone else starts ripping into the engine and such there is nothing I will do. Please have the car sent here. I'd like to have a look at it.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:15 PM

Not a problem. I will have to get the car up there I'd say around Tuesday or Wednesday. Those are my off days.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 02:02 PM

ok, well I have a truck and a trailer that I can toe the car with. I will have it up to you Tuesday 21'st if thats ok with you. If this date is ok with you, should I stay up there a night or something?

Thanks