Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

LICP keeps blowing off

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here is an old trick used to put grips on bicycle handle bars use hair spray it gives enough lubrication to slip it on then dries sticky to help give all metal an almost non slip surface
Old Aug 19, 2007, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

+1^ it worked for me too plus my suggestion when I had the xs power licp....but i ditched that because the bumper didnt fit right
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ddillard424
well i have had my ETS intercooler piping for about a month or so and for some reason the LICP keeps blowing off. i havent upped the boost at all and i cant figure out why. using the T-bolt clamps that came with the kit. yesterday on my way home the pipe acutally blew OFF the car and i ran it over...luckly i had my stock intercooler pipping still in the trunk...im pretty upset, spending a decent chunk of change on a good product but it wont stay on, and now its completly ruined...
Yes, I've heard about this and the only way to eliminate this problem is to add a mounting bracket to the pipe. A prime example of this is AMS. AMS used to make a LICP WITHOUT a bracket & NOW if you look they've ADDED a mounting bracket to help prevent this problem. Nisei Engineering was the ONLY company who started with the bracket design on the LICP so, it doesn't matter which pipe you have 1018 or Aluminum you're covered!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I-Dom-In-8
That's the LICP i have and i love it, Never blew off..when putting them on also use some Hair spray on the inside of the couplings then put it on..Also dont put it on and go let me try this out and get on it..Let the car warm up then go around and drive normal for a bit..this will heat it up and you shouldnt have any problems then..
No Kidding,
A real use for hair spray, COOL!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:55 AM

tighten it tighter
Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that your LICP is no more and we'll be happy to get you a new one at a greatly discounted price, just give us a call!

I'd like to address the bracket issue first. We didn't and won't be using a bracket on Paul's (ifarted2) ETS GT42R car that's also running our 5" intercooler, 3" piping, 53psi and now 1009whp. When installed properly our silicone and T-bolt clamps do an outstanding job even under the most extreme conditions like these. The reason we don't include a bracket on the stock replacement LICPs is that they will fit ALL stock replacement intercoolers. Each manufacturer's intercooler is slightly different for inlet location/angle and without the bracket which fixes the LICP in one place, we allow our customers to use their current aftermarket intercooler rather than forcing them into buying ours to replace it. Given that when installed properly they don't blow off even under 50+psi, we don't feel it worthwhile justification to restrict our customers' intercooler options.

Our silicone is reinforced 4-ply and has a burst strength well in excess of 100psi. The 100% stainless steel Breeze T-bolt clamps we include can withstand 150in/lbs of clamping force (all that a 1/2" impact gun can deliver). Our piping is also steel as opposed to the aluminum used by other manufacturers for this specific reason, so that it doesn't crush under the proper amount of clamping force. Crank those bad boys down, the whole package will take it with ease!

These last two tips are crucial...Make sure that only soap and water is used as a lubricant for coupler installation if anything at all. Other substances will retain their lubrication properties and will increase your chances of a blown off intercooler pipe in any situation. Lastly, making sure that the clamp is completely past the bead and not resting on it even a little, will make it an almost physical impossibility for the bead to slip through.

We engineer our products with our customers in mind for performance, quality, appearance and pricing and there is always a reason to that end for any design trait in our products. If that is unclear on anything don't hesitate to contact us and we'll be happy to explain in detail!

Tom
Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeIsBoosted
Could always go with the Nisei LICP
this is true...
Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a standup offer from a vendor who stands behind their products. Kudos to ETS.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
That's a standup offer from a vendor who stands behind their products.
Kudos to ETS.
+ one ETS
Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:47 AM

I've learned a little bit more about this. Now I know what to look for and do. Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also use hairspray at 28psi with no problems...

Edit: with the AMS LICP
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

ams FTMFW!!!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dont Try To Run
I also use hairspray at 28psi with no problems...

Edit: with the AMS LICP
Pump Type Spray or Aerosol Type Spray?
or it don't really matter?

Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:47 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kc2Buk
+ one ETS
+1.