Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

i need advice pls help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i need advice pls help!

ok i want to get a tbe and tune/flash the ecu now if i run into a problem and i need to go to the dealer how would i get the stock map back??

p.s. when is cobb coming out with the ap for our car??

John
Old Aug 19, 2007, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would save the stock ROM to your computer. If you don't have one already you need to buy yourself a tactrix cable. That way you can e-mail your ROM to a tuner and upload the changed ROM to your car.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

ok but i don't have lab top and i wanted to get a dyno tune! what would i do then
Old Aug 19, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
ok but i don't have lab top and i wanted to get a dyno tune! what would i do then
Find out when a reputable tuner is coming to your area and then find the shop hes going to be tuning at. I believe there are a few good shops in the NY/NJ area. I believe turbotrix is in that area. As far as your factory rom you can ask them to burn it onto a CD and then borrow a friends laptop, but you'll still need the tactrix cable to connect the laptop to the ECU.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tripperfx3
Find out when a reputable tuner is coming to your area and then find the shop hes going to be tuning at. I believe there are a few good shops in the NY/NJ area. I believe turbotrix is in that area. As far as your factory rom you can ask them to burn it onto a CD and then borrow a friends laptop, but you'll still need the tactrix cable to connect the laptop to the ECU.
how hard is it to do? i know nothing about it!
Old Aug 19, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

where can i get the tactrix cable from?
Old Aug 19, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

does the tactrix cable plug into any lab top?
Old Aug 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Google is your friend: http://www.tactrix.com/

Yes, any laptop with OpenECU and a USB port will work fine.

IMO, I suggest that you bring your car to Sean Ivey @ Ivey Tune in Linden, NJ and have him do the reflash for you. I'm sure he would save your stock ecu config and give it to you as well as a dyno tune flash.

It would be a good idea to pick up a cheap-o laptop. Good deals at best buy are usually in the 400-600$ range.

One with WinXP
AMD Turion or Centrino
512mb RaM

One with Vista
AMD Turion X2 or Centrino Duo
1024mb ram

Blake
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Yes. Its very easy. Just go to the website above to guy the cable and then go to openecu.org and download ECUflash (free). Also you might want to considering going to activematrix.org and download mitsulogger (also free) so you can do some logs with your new tune and make sure your not getting any knock.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 08:30 AM

Even if you don't have a laptop or a Tactrix cable, any good tuner will save your base map and make it available for free. Just to be safe, ask them to email it to you right after the tune (in case their hard drive crashes or whatever). In the worst case, and correct me if I am wrong, I do not believe that the stock map is copyrighted, and therefore you could just ask anyone with a stock map on hand to email it to you.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joehunk
Even if you don't have a laptop or a Tactrix cable, any good tuner will save your base map and make it available for free. Just to be safe, ask them to email it to you right after the tune (in case their hard drive crashes or whatever). In the worst case, and correct me if I am wrong, I do not believe that the stock map is copyrighted, and therefore you could just ask anyone with a stock map on hand to email it to you.
I believe that the stock map may have the immobilizer codes in it. I am not to sure on that though. Just something to consider.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Listen to what everyone has said above...plus there is plenty of info and people that will help on the forum.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cssaddictm4
I believe that the stock map may have the immobilizer codes in it. I am not to sure on that though. Just something to consider.
Are you talking about for the key? When you flash the factory ECU you dont touch those aspects of the ECU. All you do is look at knock, load, etc. not the security features of the car.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tripperfx3
Are you talking about for the key? When you flash the factory ECU you dont touch those aspects of the ECU. All you do is look at knock, load, etc. not the security features of the car.
Oh, ok, thanks for clearing that up.