Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX Stage 1 Dyno #'s

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo IX Stage 1 Dyno #'s

I was curious about how much crank HP does a stage 1 IX usually make. When I say stage 1, I mean TBE, MBC, filter, fuel pump, and tune. I know they usually make around 330 WHP on a Dynojet, so how much crank hp does that equal to? I know every car makes different amount of power but I just want a estimate.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Aug 20, 2007, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude you are about to get flamed for not searching. But I am a noob to so add 15% and you should have a good range of what HP is at the crank.

Last edited by dirty0513; Aug 20, 2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: DEE DEE DEE FOR NOT READING RIGHT!!!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 06:58 PM
Account Disabled

Depending on the fuel you have available to you, and how good of a tune you get, you can see close to those numbers on Buschur's Mustang Dyno and go mid to high 11s in the quarter.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeiPro
Depending on the fuel you have available to you, and how good of a tune you get, you can see close to those numbers on Buschur's Mustang Dyno and go mid to high 11s in the quarter.
I know what ball park the wheel HP should be at but not the crank HP.

Why would I get flamed? One thing to point out why I'm asking is because I don't know the exact drive train loss percentage our cars have.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Well since our cars (IX) are rated 286 horsepower and dyno at 245-255 awhp.

245/286 = X

1 - X = Drive train loss percentage.

I would assume that percentage loss is about 11-14% if the above method is correct.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no answer, man. Crank HP is just a guess unless you put it on an engine dyno. There is no exact drivetrain loss %, and it's not linear as power increases anyway. There is no use for crank HP guesstimates except for people who don't know that crank HP doesn't matter.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
There is no answer, man. Crank HP is just a guess unless you put it on an engine dyno. There is no exact drivetrain loss %, and it's not linear as power increases anyway. There is no use for crank HP guesstimates except for people who don't know that crank HP doesn't matter.
I hear u, but cars are rated by crank hp usually from the factory. Stock Evo IX's are rated at 286 hp stock. I know every car makes different hp. But every car is in the same ball park some have less some have more hp. What do stock Evo IX's make @ the wheels? 245-260 on a dynojet. Then stage 1 IX's usually make 320-340 WHP on a dynojet. I know ppl dyno there cars and get there WHP but dont they also get the power level at the crank. I just want to know what stage 1 IX's usually make at the crank.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Like Warrtalon said there is know way to no. If you really want to know take your car to a shop who has an engine dyno. Have them take out your engine and dyno it.

Why do you wan to know? so you can say you have more hp than you really do . Or should I say real usable power
Old Aug 20, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

No, people don't get anything at the crank. You get wheel HP when you dyno, and that's it. That's also all that matters. Manufacturers list a crank HP, but that doesn't mean much either. Some IXs have made as much as 275whp in stock form, so we know that IXs dont' make 286 at the crank. It's just a useless number in the real world and is only used by manufacturers for advertisement.

Why do you care so much what stg 1 IXs make at the crank? It's not a useful number, and we don't have a way to find out.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kreionic
Like Warrtalon said there is know way to no. If you really want to know take your car to a shop who has an engine dyno. Have them take out your engine and dyno it.

Why do you wan to know? so you can say you have more hp than you really do . Or should I say real usable power
Honestly the main reason why I want to know is because when car noobs ask me how much hp I'm making I tell them around 320 WHP. Then they look at me and say whats wheel HP I really don't like explaining it to them and say around 380 HP.

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, people don't get anything at the crank. You get wheel HP when you dyno, and that's it. That's also all that matters. Manufacturers list a crank HP, but that doesn't mean much either. Some IXs have made as much as 275whp in stock form, so we know that IXs dont' make 286 at the crank. It's just a useless number in the real world and is only used by manufacturers for advertisement.

Why do you care so much what stg 1 IXs make at the crank? It's not a useful number, and we don't have a way to find out.
If u guys think I'm asking how much HP I have for some kind of phony bragging rights, well I'm not. I had a 10 page argument over at E46fanatics.com with a M3 owner who says his car makes "1,000 HP" but really only made 836 RWHP. His argument was that his car is a 1,000 hp car because thats the power the engine made. I thought dyno's also told u crank hp. Will guess not, I thought it did so thats why I asked.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Right - you made my point. It's only useful for people who are ignorant and speak in magazine terms like the noobs who ask you questions. If you haven't dyno'd or gotten track results, then you should say you don't know, because you havent dyno'd or gone to the track.

In my case, I have dyno'd and raced MANY times, but when people ask me what power the car makes, I say 325whp/350wtq. Another guy at this altitude tells people he makes 378whp, but my car is faster. It's the difference between telling people the truth and your version of the truth.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
If you tell someone your whp and they don't know what wheel horsepower is then that should be the end of the conversation.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XSivPSI
If you tell someone your whp and they don't know what wheel horsepower is then that should be the end of the conversation.
I get what ur saying but sometimes I have cousins who ask etc....So I don't want to look like a douche bag.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by beemerfreak
I get what ur saying but sometimes I have cousins who ask etc....So I don't want to look like a douche bag.
Then just make up a number. Do you really think a casual observer or "noob" gives a crap whether you're accounting for appropriate drivetrain loss, elevation, and ambient temperature when you answer their nonchalant question?