Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I bite?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I bite?

So, I'm trading up. I have a WRX now (no longer a boosted stang). And an Evo is in my sights I've been registered for a year, lurkin around, and this is my first post. I always seem to come back..something about these evo's and their appeal...

hows this look to you guys?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

what about this one?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

I like the first one best, already modded (I dont have much modding money). Plus its cheaper..the only factor is high mileage (compared to the 20k on my WRX). How are evos with mileage on the upper half of the 5 digit spectrum? Or should I wait and find a decently priced '04? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Swashbuckler; Aug 21, 2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

You can get an 05 for 24K. might as well spend a couple extra grand to put you in the 20-30k mile range.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

im gonna tell you what i told the other guy, you dont buy these cars modded, you never know what the previous owner put it through.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:34 AM
Former Sponsor

^ but be careful because i've never ever seen a completely stock evo unless it was at the dealership being sold as new. i have personally stripped mods off of cars to be traded in as "Stock", so even if you think your getting a stock car, it is more then likely it was at one point modded. at least with a modded car you know its been modded and you know what you should be looking for (plus you'll get the mods for basically free because they should not increase the value of the car one bit, unless it is a show car/race car with many tens of thousands of dollars of mods on it.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it difficult to get a modded Evo smogged? If he buys it used won't he have to get it smogged within a year or two (all states are different I'm guessing)? I always wondered about whether or not my Evo would pass smog once I modded/tuned it. I'm in Cali though, so buying one used probably would have been more of a hassle for me (luckily I bought my car new, so I think I don't have to get a smog check for the first 6 years here, plus since I bought it new I'll still have the original parts once I have to get smogged if it requires changing them back)...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:49 AM
Former Sponsor

depends. in michigan where i'm from there are no emmisions testing. in texas we have testing, but all they do is plug into the OBD2 port and check for check engine lights. if there are any you wont pass. its easy to mod a car though, and not have check engine lights. my car passed with cams, exhaust, intake etc etc etc...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, smog here in Cali can be ridiculous. Especially if you're like me and you live in what they call an "Enhanced" area, which means it's a smog-prone area, then your car has to pass the most stringent test at a BAR-97 equipped smog station:

"The BAR-97 EIS consists of a 5-gas analyzer, additional hardware, software, a fuel cap tester and a dynamometer with safety restraints. The most distinctive component of the equipment is the dynamometer, a treadmill-like device that simulates driving conditions. When necessary, the BAR-97 EIS can perform the two-speed idle test on vehicles that cannot be physically tested on the dynamometer."

They test for nitrogen (NOx), hydrocarbons (HC), and carbon monoxide (CO) emissions. I've had simple cars not pass smog the first time around and required tune-ups/parts just to pass (my friggin' 3-cylinder Geo Metro didn't pass the first time, for crying out loud LOL)...

But thankfully I'm okay until 2012 (according to current laws anyhoo), so I'll probably mod the car, drive the heck out of it until 2011 and then sell it LOL...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:17 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be especially careful on the mileage on the first one. It looks like the guy installed the Ralliart sports combination meter (which is cool by the way). Which means his stock cluster was removed and replaced by the Ralliart one. The Ralliart cluster would have started at 0 miles (it actually reads in kilometers).

So, just check that out very closely if you want to go with that car.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Be especially careful on the mileage on the first one. It looks like the guy installed the Ralliart sports combination meter (which is cool by the way). Which means his stock cluster was removed and replaced by the Ralliart one. The Ralliart cluster would have started at 0 miles (it actually reads in kilometers).

So, just check that out very closely if you want to go with that car.
That's some good advice - good pick up!

Sick Speed
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:23 AM

no testing here in nebraska, there are a lot of old POS cars driving around with most of the exhaust rusted out
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

This first one looks too much like a bling bling car. Who puts 19" wheels on the Evo? He has almost no sidewall protection. The second one looks more like a blank sheet which means you can mod it to your liking.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

so the general concencus is paying more for an 04 wouldnt be worth it?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 07:34 AM

sun roof, but cloth seats on the first one?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would go with second one, wheels has to go on first one, butt ugly.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
^ but be careful because i've never ever seen a completely stock evo unless it was at the dealership being sold as new. i have personally stripped mods off of cars to be traded in as "Stock", so even if you think your getting a stock car, it is more then likely it was at one point modded. at least with a modded car you know its been modded and you know what you should be looking for (plus you'll get the mods for basically free because they should not increase the value of the car one bit, unless it is a show car/race car with many tens of thousands of dollars of mods on it.
This is how I bought my car. Spend insane amount of time looking for a stock evo, got one with 20K last year and found out that it was heavily modded. But everything is fine, I started the process all over again. I'm at 50K right now, 350 whp I road race and so on. No problems whatsoever. I also have a lot of realibility parts, to make sure it doesn't break on me at the track *knocks on wood*