Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Difference in feel between stock and 320whp

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont know how noticeable it is with the 9s but with my 05 evo 8 after i threw in cams and got the **** reflashed, only words to come out my mouth afterwords were MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! you get some nasty top end with cams and flash. still to this day hitting the accelarater at WOT puts a big smile to my face.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

dont know how noticeable it is with the 9s but with my 05 evo 8 after i threw in cams and got the **** reflashed, only words to come out my mouth afterwords were MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! you get some nasty top end with cams and flash. still to this day hitting the accelarater at WOT puts a big smile to my face.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Old Aug 24, 2007, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

very nice

very nice

very nice

j/k
Old Aug 24, 2007, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

If anything, I have learnt that the best measure for a mods (in my case) was to get back down to the track and see if I got a better timing after 20 to 30 hot laps with a good handful of time attack laps tossed in for good measure.

Try to keep a scientific mind if you do this, i.e. have a journal which records your timing, old mods, new mods, etc so that you can see which mods actually made a difference. Use the same track, and where possible, pretty much similar weather conditions.

Tuning a car is about getting better performance. I just can't bring myself to use dyno sheets as a measure of a car's 'performance' because it is really more about an end-goal, i.e. to be faster in the 1/4 mile, on track, in autox, whatever. Street is never the right place for testing, and a butt-dyno is probably not the best measure for tuning results, imo.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 05:44 AM

Yesterday i took a workmate of mine out for a ride.
After some city driving we came to more open roads and just when he opened he's mouth to ask: can this car move or what?
I floored it in second going thru a half sharp turn, throw in 3rd, and going thru 4:th

The look on my friends face, and the noises he made grabbing he's breath going on like: oh ****- oh **** what a thrill!! Priceless, wish i could caught tuff like that on film
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:19 AM

Well, I got the car back and have made some first impressions. Maybe I should write up a lil review. Anyway, it feels good. Let me run through the gears and my impressions.

1st gear: feels close to the same as stock - it still pushes you back in your seat, but I can't say there is a noticeable improvement. My guess is that at that gearing, the engine is not under enough load down low to spool much boost, and since the gear is so short by the time the revs get up it's time to shift.

2nd gear: noticeable improvement - pulls stronger and feels more like 1st gear than it did stock. 2nd gear is now my official "4 wheel slide on radius freeway on ramp gear" Lots of fun! at 6500 rpm flying around the on ramp you can really modulate the throttle and control the amount of sliding that you do.

3rd gear: 3rd and 4th gears are the biggest improvements for me and my favorites - unfortunately, 3rd gear is not used a lot as I don't go tearing around city streets, and find that 4th 5th and 6th are the most used as they are applicable on the freeway. 3rd feels like 2nd used to stock

4th gear: 4th feels alot like 3rd. A definite feeling of acceleration but certainly no slam back in your seat feeling. Stock, downshifting to 4th on the freeway would be kinda underwhelming because at 65mph, at that rpm, there would not be that much power up top. Now, it really moves.

5th gear: 5th gear seems to me to be not as fast but faster than 4th stock. I would really only use 5th on the freeway, and as I mentioned above stock, 4th really started to fall apart up top at freeway speeds. I would definitely say that 5th is a great all purpose gear, great passing, and when you really get on it it's nice up top.

6th gear: Its funny because you can accelerate in 6th if you want. Before, you could be cruising at 70 and floor it in 6th gear and not really feel like you moved at all. You could stomp the gas, let off, stop the gas and there was not a huge feeling of speeding up or slowing down. Now, if you want to pass in 6th you can. Very drivable gear.

The improvement is not earth shattering - it is a nice improvement and is faster than 97% of the cars on the road. Certainly not chest crushingly fast though. I would say that stock the Evo is quick, with the bolt ons and a tune it is officially a fast car - not REALLY fast, or Crazy fast. In all, I am just left wondering how a FP green or GT30 equipped car would feel like.

Last edited by liquidh; Aug 24, 2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you get the work done...RRE? Tuned by Scot Grey?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting post-tune review. Great thread