Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Difference in feel between stock and 320whp

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference in feel between stock and 320whp

Well, maybe some will think this is a dumb question, but I am having trouble searching for "Difference in feel" and "Stock vs tuned feel"

Anyway, I have a IX that recently replaced my last car. Stock, the IX did not really feel much faster if any than the car I had previously - now its in the shop for the next two days getting some work done to it. Cams, Fuel Pump, *Hallman MBC *, AMS inter-cooler, LICP, Intake, O2, DP, Highflow cat, and 3 inch exhaust (no neck downs w00t) and 91 oct dyno tune. I have thoughts about eventually replacing the turbo, but I have still not driven in a modified Evo to tell if I would want the increase in power

So, the anticipation is killing me - I don't want to get my hopes up, but I really, really want to be happy with the improvement. So, my question is, how would you describe the difference between stock and a basic bolt on upgraded evo as I have listed above? Is it a really noticeable improvement - is it huge - is it a nice little bump? I did have the 3 inch exhaust w/ test pipe (not 02 or DP) for a few days before dropping the car off to have the other mods done, and I would say it was a little bump in power, noticeable up top, but nothing huge - should I expect that same level of improvement when the car gets back from the tuner? Or will it seem like a whole different car?

lol, thanks guys. I know that its probably a little hard to tell for you guys that have been driving around with modified cars for some time; you almost forget what the car drove like stock to even make a comparison.

Last edited by liquidh; Aug 21, 2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
hmmm... well, it should've gone from being about a ~104mph car to ~110mph car. It'll certainly be noticeable. I don't think it'll be like, "holy ****", but more of a 'ah, that's much better".
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

ya i cant remember what stock felt like....but then again my mods were done one at a time not like your all at once., im sure it will be a VERY noticeable change., you should also get a boost controller if you dont have one yet....good luck...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:12 AM

ooops, forgot to list the MBC, I opted for one as well instead of having the boost controlled with the ecu/restricor pill. Supposed to aid in less taper up top I understand.

Depending on how happy I am with the increase in power - I may look into a water/meth injection system, maybe the smc unit. It would be nice to have 4th gear feel more like 2nd gear stock

Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have an Evo IX, then with those uprgades you will be making more than 320 whp (depending on dyno). Aside from an intake and UICP, you will have all of the bolt-ons. That plus having a custom tune is going to give you over a hundred whp over stock. That's going to make your car feel like an entirely different beast. Stock, the car does like 13's and with those mods, the car will be capable of 11's. So...yeah...you'll feel the difference...just a little.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

you should def feel it....I basically got all my mods done at once (evo 8 with full bolt-on's) and when i get on it for the first time, i def thought "holy $hit!" - huge difference!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

You will feel a big difference especially with cams. Then a month or more later you might get bored... then it's time for more power mods or suspension mods to feed the need
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

I have similar mods minus the intercooler and 4th gear now feels like 3rd used to, but I am at higher elevation and my stock tune was lacking, I went from 98 mph traps to 116.25. I think my car may have been capable of 102 stock but I only got two runs in before being booted for no fire jacket. Bottom line I went from 13.5- 11.9, and yes I am sure a huge part was due to better driving and familiarization but you should be able to feel a difference.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

I was able to "feel it" with only 1/2 of your mods (tbe/filter/mbc/flash) so you should be grinning like a little girl, even with 91oct.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor

you will def. notice the gain, trust me...then like everyone else will say, "more power"...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will notice a big improvement
but it wont be like wow fast by any means

its like going from blah slow, to its decent now. you eally need gas and a bigge tubo to have that wow really fast feeling
Old Aug 21, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

There is a BIG difference in power between my brothers stock 05 Evo and my 300 WHP 03 Evo. When I drove my brother's car I was like "Where is the boost?"
Old Aug 21, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

lets just say u will have a smile on ure face after the drive
Old Aug 21, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Huge difference. My stock car felt like a turd compared to now.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

STOCK EVOS FTL!!!! HAHAHAH always wanted to say that!

Seriously though, it will be night and day difference and if it isnt... goto a different tuner !

Quick Reply: Difference in feel between stock and 320whp