Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Adventure! DYI turbo kit. Slow Boy Racing / Hafe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Adventure! DYI turbo kit. Slow Boy Racing / Hafe

After a year of planning and research, I have decided to build my own turbo kit! I have ordered everything I needed, but one of the decisions I have made was to get a Hafe Manifold and O2 housing. I have read tons of negative feedback about Slowboy racing, but I like the idea of the HAFE manifold and O2 housing. So I ordered it. I hope I won't be one of those people who will wait weeks for it to come and they the wrong part comes or it is broken?!
I started this little post to let you guys know the status and how long it is going to take me to get it. Hopefully I can post positive results.

Wish me luck.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 08:23 AM

Well, I got a tracking number and it looks like it got shipped! They actually shipped it the same day I ordered it! I will have them on Monday 08/27/07 which is reasonable since I am in the west coast and they are in the East Coast. So far so good.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

How much money do you think you are going to save doing it this way?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 06:25 PM

Well, my guess is about $1000. But there are several main reasons why I am building it this way. I really like the Hafe Manifold and Slow Boy Racing had them in stock and most of the the mishaps that people are complaining about is with fitment or fittings that need to be modified. To me those things are not a big deal, but I guess if you are going to want a full bolt on kit to fit perfectly I would not know which kit to purchase as I have installed most of the kits out there before and everyone has fitment or fitting issues.
I figure If I just order the manifold and O2 housing, it would not be much of a gamble ordering those components from SBR in case there was anything wrong. The rest of the kit, I can purchase separately or fab up.

I can also customize the kit to have specific fittings or elbows anyway I wanted as I figured I would have to modify the LICP regardless which kit I buy. So bottom line I would have to custom make or fab up something no matter which kit I purchased, so I minus well build my own kit.

I definately know why RRE does it this way. Then they are sure of fitment and the install would be done right. Don't get me wrong I was on the fence of ordering the whole SBR kit, but figured I'd have some fun in building my own.

I ordered my turbo and fitting already and it came today! Now just waiting for the manifold which should come on Monday according to UPS.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Pictures please and what turbo you planning to run?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:32 AM

I got a Garrett 50 trim.

I should be getting the manifold on Monday.

Old Aug 24, 2007, 05:12 AM
Former Sponsor

All that work and only a 50 trim =P

You know what would make this thread really cool is if you could make a list of every item you need/purchased to assemble your own turbo kit. (Yes, I am lazy)
Old Aug 24, 2007, 08:17 AM

It is not a lot of work and not a lot of money compared to some of the kits out there. The parts list is easy. Now if I posted that up, what fun would it be for everyone else that want to do it. Also not sure what your experience is, but not sure what you mean about "Only a 50 trim". I am not into debating, so I will leave that comment alone.

You can actually buy everything from Slowboy Racing. Here is a list for you since you are lazy (and a VENDOR?)

Hafe turbo manifold.
Hafe O2 solution.
Turbo
Wastegate
-4 Oil feed line.
Mitsu -4 head fitting
Turbo oil feed fitting
Turbo oil return flange & fitting
Pan oil return flange & fitting
-10 oil return line or high temp hose
Banjo fittings for coolant in
Banjo fittings for coolant out
Staniless line or high temp
Exh. manifold gasket
Turbo gasket to manifold
Exhaust Gasket for the O2 housing
Wastegate gasket
4 bolts to mount up the turbo to manifold
4 bolts if you have a 4 bolt exh. to mount the o2 housing
2 bolts for Wastegate depending on which wastegate you bought.

and if you need a LICP solution:

You need a 2.5" "U" bend
2.5" Straight
2.5" 45 degree

Wastegate recircul or dump solution:
1.5" 45 degree bend
1.5" straight if you need it.

It is really not too bad of a parts list. I might be missing something, but you get the idea.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Well so far I have only worked with the stock turbo. I have purchased a turbo kit back in the day for my DSM, but I was looking at building my own for the EVO. Your homework will make that easier for me. Plus I was looking into a great way to turn this thread into something more useful.

What I meant is the 50 trim is a great turbo but I honestly believe a green could be comprable. I am not into slamming anyone and I am sorry if you felt that is what I meant. Can't a vendor ask questions too?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aren't vendor's supposed to no all.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I 'no' all...
Old Aug 25, 2007, 12:25 PM

how much do u plan on spending all together for this turbo kit?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
Plus I was looking into a great way to turn this thread into something more useful.

What I meant is the 50 trim is a great turbo but I honestly believe a green could be comprable. I am not into slamming anyone and I am sorry if you felt that is what I meant. Can't a vendor ask questions too?
Well, I wrote this thread because it seemed like there was a lot of bad press for Slow Boy Racing. I don't know them and I am in no way sponsored or affiliated with them, but just letting people know my experience with them good or bad. So far so good. I got a UPS tracking number on my manifold the following day of ordering my product and they shipped it the same day i ordered it.

I was a little defensive about the 50 trim because I have done a lot of research on the turbo and building this kit. At this point I can use any turbo 50 Trim, 3065, 3076, GT35R etc.... it will all bolt up, but for the racing I do and what I want the 50 trim will put out enough HP for me.

An FP Green May match up close to the power of a 50 Trim, but you that does not mean the FP Green will beat me nor will I beat it. But for $1600 for the Green, I get a brand new turbo for the 50 trim and external wastegate, new lines etc... So the decision for me is easy.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew03eve
how much do u plan on spending all together for this turbo kit?
My guess is around $2600-3500 with extra parts.

MSRP
Hafe manifold ~$650
O2 housing ~$350
Turbo ~$1250
Lines, adapters and gaskets ~$300-600
LICP parts $70-150
Labor Free

This is a all MSRP also. There is also modifications that I am doing to get more power out of the kit that will cost a little more, but you can have a DIY Hafe turbo kit for under $3000.00. I think that is a really good deal! You can buy there whole kit for $3600 but I wanted to do it my self.

If anyone needs help with sourcing the parts or want to know what you need to build the kit, PM me.

Last edited by turboevo8; Aug 25, 2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 09:33 PM

good luck man, make sure to keep us posted with ur build

Quick Reply: New Adventure! DYI turbo kit. Slow Boy Racing / Hafe