Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rallying an EVO VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rallying an EVO VIII and IX

I wanted to make a thread since I searched and really couldn't find anything. I am curious if anyone has converted there car to do mainly rallycross.

What power mods and what rally-oriented mods have you put on your car, ex: tires, suspension.

Also, what kind of mods do you have to prevent damage, ex; raising car, carbon fiber/aluminum splashguards.

The main idea of this thread is to post your rally setup for those who are curious about competing or just doing some off-roading.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Hey glad to see someone looking to get into the sport

I have worked rallies for over 5 years now and I participate in road rallies.

If you want to do rallycross all you really need to do is get some good dirt tires and also install some skid plates on the car. Have them be bolt on so that when you take your car in for service, they can just unscrew them really quick.

For full blown offroad rallying, you need to be up to certifications. Too many to list here, obvious things are roll cage, fire extinguisher, full fireproof suit etc etc etc.
Go here: http://www.rally-america.com/ and that will start your journey

A great medium is road rallying. You can do this with a stock car, or modded car. They are fun events that can take anywhere from 2 hours to 2 weeks. You just need to search the net for these. A lot of times car clubs in the area will have them, but it depends on where you are. If you have any other questions you can PM me. I know this wasnt on the parts side like you were probably hoping for, but I just wanted to let you know all the options out there
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ interesting.! Especially on road rallies! More info plz.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, GTS. Alot of good information and made me very interested in getting some tires and skid plates. Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone else have an evo set up for rally?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:44 PM
Account Disabled

there are a few locals by me that rally their evos but they aren't on forums much...
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Aug 22, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

More relating to setup....

for rallycrossing, you want traction and handling. Upgrade your suspension, get the dirt tires and get an LSD that is the best one you can find. If there is one thing I hear people talk about at every event it is their LSD (limited slip diff). A stock evo has the 4WD and plenty of power and you will want to start doing events like these with as little power as possible to learn how to drive correctly.

But if you need help looking for events, anyone just PM me and I will forward you some websites that you can try to branch out from.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

where the hell can i buy a set of 15 inch rims and dirt tires? i cant find any sites for evos. i looked for skidplates and all i can find is that beatrush product.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.rallyarmor.com/

Try them out.

As for dirt tires...they are tough to find. Your best bet is to find someone who already rallies and find out where they get theirs. Back when I was in the market I would buy mine from a rally team which has since stopped. If you really dont want to look for the perfect tire, you can get some snow tires and they will work alright.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

all that site has for the evolution is mudflaps.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

also id rather just get some crappy dirt tires. if winter tires work well i could use them for the winter aswell. whats your opinion?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 07:41 PM

RIMS http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...roducts_id=174

TIRES
http://www.frisbyracetire.com/rallypricesspecs.html

Will 15'' wheels clear the front rotors?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 08:01 PM

15" Rims won't clear the standard Brembo calipers - the options are either:

1. Use 16" rims that will clear the calipers (special rims available from Compomotive for this purpose) but getting good tyres can be difficult or

2. Fit the homologated Bremb brake kit (very expensive at around US$12,000 - photo attached) and then use 15" rims for which a wide range of tyres are available. The neat part of the kit is that it uses the same calipers with a small rotor for gravel and a large rotor for tarmac.

For underbody protection you can either make something yourself or you can buy from someone like RallyTech - http://www.rallytech.co.uk/default2.asp or MotorDrive - http://www.motordrive.com/cgi-bin/ss...talogbody.html

Best tyres for gravel are probably Michelin - http://www.subesports.com/products/c...Michelin+Rally
Attached Thumbnails Rallying an EVO VIII and IX-cj-016.jpg   Rallying an EVO VIII and IX-cimg1249.jpg   Rallying an EVO VIII and IX-cimg1543.jpg  
Old Aug 22, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

damn, that is going to be hard to find a good combo then. anyone who rallys post your 16 inch **** rims and tire you use. hankook doesnt make 16s.

Quick Reply: Rallying an EVO VIII and IX