Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Something is wrong... Urgent Help Needed...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something is wrong... Urgent Help Needed...

Hi All,

Well I thought that my clutch was going out earlier, but today I decided to simply rev my engine while not in gear and well... it seems to bounce at 4500 rpm level (pedal to the floor) for a few seconds, then it seems to "catch" and then take off? Keep in mind i was not in gear and had the clutch fully pressed in. I do not understand what is wrong here? And also every once in a long while while letting off the gas and pressing in the clutch while out of gear, the car will drop to like 300-400rpm (which is much too low with my cams) and the lights on the dash start to flicker dimmer and brighter...

I have no idea what the problem is? Also, i am trying to figure out why the car randomly decides to "jerk back and forth", like you don't know how to drive stick in 1st gear... but it is doing this for me in nearly every gear after I am in it for 10 seconds or so. It seems to me that it wants me to shift gears or something is not right? I thought the clutch was the problem, but now I cannot even rev my engine normally?

Here are my mods:
AMS GT35R TURBO KIT
AMS FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER
AMS LOWER INTERCOOLER PIPE
AMS UPPER INTERCOOLER PIPE W/ TIAL BLOWOFF VALVE
AMS RESONATED TEST PIPE
AMS EXHAUST
AMS 880 INJECTORS
AMS FUEL RAIL
AMS SMALL BATTERY
EXEDY TWIN DISC HD CLUTCH
WALBRO 255 FUEL PUMP
SMC ALKY KIT
DEFI BOOST GAUGE
HALLMAN MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER
TEIN S-TECH SPRINGS
CAMS

Obviously I have a lot of power (497whp)... But I have just come off a $800.00 repair from AMS as my water pump cracked in half from the methanol and I am confused on where to go from here.

TJ

Last edited by Dont Try To Run; Aug 22, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Spark plug wires might be arcing out at high RPM. Also, methanol shouldn't make your water pump crack...
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
Spark plug wires might be arcing out at high RPM. Also, methanol shouldn't make your water pump crack...
I doubt AMS would lie to me. Under high RPM, the extreme pressure from the methanol and 29lbs of boost made the coolant plug in the rear of the block blow out... Which somehow cracked my water pump and made me need to replace it. And i had a HKS timing device for the spark plugs, but it went bad and AMS removed it.

TJ
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your car will move with the clutch pedal fully depressed while in gear, I think you may need to adjust the pedal up a little bit. This doesn't expain the other issues you are having though.

After reading your post again, I'm kind of confused. You said you reved the car in 1st and it seemed to take off. Then you said that "keep in mind, the car was not in gear." Which is it? In gear or not?

Anyhow, I'd second what machron said. It's probably an ignition issue for the other problems.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

bad mass air?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
If your car will move with the clutch pedal fully depressed, I think you may need to adjust the pedal up a little bit. This doesn't expain the other issues you are having though.

After reading your post again, I'm kind of confused. You said you reved the car in 1st and it seemed to take off. Then you said that "keep in mind, the car was not in gear." Which is it? In gear or not?

Anyhow, I'd second what machron said. It's probably an ignition issue for the other problems.
I am sorry. While revving the car, the car was NOT in gear. I will go edit that post.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dont Try To Run
I am sorry. While revving the car, the car was NOT in gear. I will go edit that post.
I got ya. It cannot be a simple adjustment then. In fact, it probably has nothing to do with the clutch.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

so with your shift lever in neutral position, you can rev your engine and it will drive forward?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dont Try To Run
I doubt AMS would lie to me. Under high RPM, the extreme pressure from the methanol and 29lbs of boost made the coolant plug in the rear of the block blow out... Which somehow cracked my water pump and made me need to replace it. And i had a HKS timing device for the spark plugs, but it went bad and AMS removed it.

TJ
I didn't say they were lying, I just said methanol injection would not cause a water pump to fail. Obviously the massive amount of boost/power could (and did).
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Wow all this from using meth? no wonder AMS does not sell it anymore......
Old Aug 22, 2007, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
so with your shift lever in neutral position, you can rev your engine and it will drive forward?
No. Sorry that was a typo in the the first one.

I guess i will bring the car back to AMS. Just what i need... To spend more money.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Check your plug wires first man, they might be arc ing out at high RPM (had that happen before). Engine ran fine in low RPMs, but high rpms would cause the spark to ground to the engine and it would lose all power & stop accelerating. Look at them closely, bend them and look for cracks. Also, make sure they are on the plugs tight and the contacts aren't bent. Good Luck!
Old Aug 22, 2007, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Hey,

Well i checked them and do not see anything? Here is what I am looking at... Do you or anyone see anything?:

Old Aug 22, 2007, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is an example of why it's dangerous to buy a car that is already heavily-modded when you're a teenager.

I'm confused as to why you're surprised that your RPMs dip like that when you have a VTA BOV on the stock ECU...
Old Aug 22, 2007, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
This is an example of why it's dangerous to buy a car that is already heavily-modded when you're a teenager.

I'm confused as to why you're surprised that your RPMs dip like that when you have a VTA BOV on the stock ECU...
I love your comments normally, but sadly not this one. How does this car make it dangerous? Costly repairs? Sure, but I knew this was coming... So what is your point? It makes it dangerous how?

TJ