Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

little disapointed in my dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 9.8 hotside is really hurting u in the power area. Go and pick up a evo 9 turbo.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's not the hotside. even the other dynos i seen of 03 Evos on 9.8hotisde are making better power with cams than he did ..

i also remember a friend of mine who did a mail in tune with Vishnu, he had injectors on his car with stock turbo .. Vishnu replied to him, and they Adviced him to put his stock injectors back because they will make better results than the upgraded injectors ..
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

i agree i did mind the numbers untill my friends car ran dead even with me on the dyno and all he has is the tbe and 10.5.
i do agree that the set up i have is made for more and that is the idea because i intend to do the gt35 with a new intercooler
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why only 21 psi?? People usually get tuned at 23-24psi (which wouldve been about a 20hp increase est.) And that would have you in the 332hp range.. But like everyone else said.. Overkill on the injectors and wait till you swap a huge snail.. Your numbers will skyrocket as you have the supporting mods to do so..
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:43 AM

I had similar issues when I had my car first tuned, but on cali 91. My numbers were down approximately 25 whp compared to other cars with the same mods. The tuner said that possibly my turbo wasn't balanced correctly from the factory, resulting in it being very knock sensitive. Once I switched to a green turbo the problem went away and the car had no issues with knock. Maybe you have a similar problem.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

I don't really see the harm in running larger injectors on an AEM. I know on the stock ECU larger injectors are harder to scale and tune for, but the AEM should be no problem. That's what it's for. As long as the tuning is appropriate for the injectors, his power should be the same. That could be part of the problem.

The hotside is not the issue! Like I said, and so did dead-man inc.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoski
I had similar issues when I had my car first tuned, but on cali 91. My numbers were down approximately 25 whp compared to other cars with the same mods. The tuner said that possibly my turbo wasn't balanced correctly from the factory, resulting in it being very knock sensitive. Once I switched to a green turbo the problem went away and the car had no issues with knock. Maybe you have a similar problem.
Never heard of an improperly balanced turbo. The chra? Or the housing? The wheels? What the hell was that tuner talking about?
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:55 AM

There is a thread about it on norcalevo.net It will explain it much better than I can. Its under the power mods section titled "so, your car wasn't a factory freak?" I'd rather let them explain as I didn't fully understand either. I believe its referring to the wheels though.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

And are you running 91 oct? Yeah seem really weird, But you should really take out that AEM EMS and the injectors for now, use your stock one and tune it with those until you get the bigger turbo. Turn your boost up to 23lbs. And take it from there. Good luck.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Well, to someone who said it must be the tune,

No offense but Martin from AMS is one of the few AEM GODS of tuning. You have to remember that it's probably a very safe tune for driving around.

what is your exact list of mods?

Do you have a turbo back exhaust?

Boost Controller?

ARP Head studs

Forget the 10.5 hotside, my car was making 363 with AMS stage 1-3 with the 9.5 hotside.

Boost leak test results??

I would turn the boost up to 23lbs as long as you have ARP headstuds.....

Numbers are numbers dont read too much into them...
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:13 PM

one thing you'll quickly notice is even the injectors you have now wouldnt be the best if you move to a 35r. im on a flash but with 880 cc injectors at 26 psi on my 35r. you shouldnt be dissapointed at all. you went the expensive route but nonetheless as you move up in aftermarket parts you'll soon see the magic. like explained earlier if you moved to 22-23 psi which im sure you could of done then you would of had your 330whp. best of luck to you and get that 35r already, top end on that babv is REALLLY nice!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Or you can just send me all those parts you have on your car and start over ^_^
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think you're stupid, but I just want to make sure this is a dynojet. On other dyno's those numbers would be awesome. (mustang or dynamics). Also, I know some dynojets have the load simulation option or whatever the hell it's called. Did this shop have it? If it did then that would lower the numbers.

What year was your friend? If he's a IX it's okay.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Also, to be quite honest, yes your peak HP numbers are slightly low. But peak numbers aren't everything. If you can, I'd like to see the print outs. Did you log AFR's and boost with the dyno? And how does the car feel? When my peak numbers were low, my car didn't feel fast. But this isn't always the case. Dyno numbers are just a guide. And did you ever dyno at that same dyno before? Ask the shop owner what a stock VIII typically rates on that dyno. I know most stock VIII's on a dynojet range from like 220-240 or something. His dyno could be different though.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

i appreciate all the help guys. i agree i went tin the opposite direction with the mods but i plan on the bigger turbo soon. i know martin knows what he is doing i am just going to get grief from the friend who is there now in his 03 VIII pushing just as much as me but that will change come spring!!!