Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fluid change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had my dealers do mine, i spend 150 total to do it. so it's not too bad.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by my-red-rs
Regarding Oil changes... see below. FYI... the ACD is seperate from the front differential.

1) Engine Oil = High Quality Synthetic Oil like Mobil 1 (SAE 10-30)

2) Transmission 5 speed = Redline MT90 (SAE 75-90W) or 6 Speed = Mitsubishi Daiqueen Super Multi-Gear (SAE 75-85W)

3) ACD = Automatic Transmission Fluid (Dealer item only since it involves special tools to flush and replace fluid)

4) Front Differential (Mitsubishi Daiqueen LSD SAE 90W)

5) Rear Differential (Mitsubishi Daiqueen LSD SAE 90W)

I change the engine oil every 3k-5k miles, and the Transmission and Differentials every 20k (daily driving). Or after every HPDE (high performance driving event)
Ok now I'm more confused. You mention changing the fluid in the FRONT diff but you don't mention the transfer case. Are they the same?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Oh my god! There are three different type of fluids you need to chage.

1. Transaxle (a.k.a the transmission)
2. Transfer Case
3. Read Differential

I used Redline Mt-90 in the transmission, lightwight shockproof in the transfer case, and heavyweight shockproof in the rear differential.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

I get it now...thank you very much.

The ACD is actually inside the tranny and Transfer Case. ACD requires a different fluid from the tranny, TC and Rear Diff, but is something that is not needed to be changed on a regular basis, because the fluid is used to pressurise, not to lubricate and protect. In the case that the ACD fluid needs to be changed, it should be done through the main dealer using the OEM fluid.

The Tranny (with front diff inside), Transfer Case (with center diff inside) and the Rear Diff are the ones that need to have fluid changed more often...the fluid here are used to protect and lubricate the components.

Is this pretty accurate? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=175195

I got most of the information by reading that thread...

Last edited by exacc; Aug 25, 2007 at 01:35 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by exacc
Sorry, I am an EVO newb...and I am a bit confused...(my car has ACD):

I though the Transfer Case is the Center Differential? This is how clueless I am...haha! So there is:

1) Tranny
2) Transfer Case
3) Center Diff (ACD)
4) Rear Diff

Does this make sense?

I though it was only Tranny, Transfer Case and Rear Diff...cars with ACD just have a more complicated Transfer Case...
It's crazier than that. The transfer case contains both front and center differentials. Needless to say it's accomplished via an arrangement of gears and hollow torque tubes. The fluids to change are in three reservoirs, the TC, Transmission, and rear diff. The diff limiter for the ACD has a longer service interval and usually only needs to be topped off (there's a filler in the engine compartment).
Old Aug 25, 2007, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nsnguyen
It's crazier than that. The transfer case contains both front and center differentials. Needless to say it's accomplished via an arrangement of gears and hollow torque tubes. The fluids to change are in three reservoirs, the TC, Transmission, and rear diff. The diff limiter for the ACD has a longer service interval and usually only needs to be topped off (there's a filler in the engine compartment).

And it needs to be filled with OEM ATF right?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by nsnguyen
So if I change the fluid in the transfer case , I effectively change the front diff fluid...?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The TC and ACD fluids are both separate from one another. They are dissimilar fluids eventhough the ACD is housed w/i the TC.

For the TC you should use whichever OEM Diaqueen is recommended for your particular year of Evo. In the ACD, however, which has a separate reservoir and fill orifice you should use Mitsubishi ATF, SP III. Some have used Dexron III ATF in place of the Mitsu ATF, however it isn´t a recommended practice.

The TC fluid you can change as often as you want. A frequent interval would be every other motor oil change. The ACD has a much longer service life with an extended change interval. I think you can just leave the stuff alone for a long time.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 25, 2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 02:36 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sparky
Reason I ask is that there is a catch to doing the TC fluid change. Fill the TC to where it drips back out the fill hole, then rotate the front wheels and then add a bit more oil. This way it'll take the complete factory specified amount. If you don't rotate the wheels then it'll show full but actually it'll be about an 1/8 of a QT. short.
So do u only need to turn the wheels left and right and add more or left, add, then right and add? And also would someone mind posting a pic of the rear diff and where the fill & drain plugs are located? I've done my own oil and tranny fluids, and found pics of the TC but none of the rear diff....
Old Sep 8, 2007, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

5 speed tranny and 6 speed tranny use different types of fluids right? I changed my tranny fluid (a long with tc and rear diff) a while back and I think it's time to change them again. At first I change the tranny fluid with pennzoil syncromesh. Now I found some tranny fluids for 6speed. Should I still use the pennzoil syncromesh or should I get the 6 speed tranny fluid?

It's the second one
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=489

I have an 06 MR IX