Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So I overreved..what did I break?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
update?
+1
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

i would defnitly do a compression test ....
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Fluid on the TC case came out fine same with tranny fuid....As of now We're going to take the tranny apart and go from there. I asked Shep if He's seen a tranny whine before and He said " not normally". So pretty much He hasnt seen a tranny make this kind of Whine. He told me TC is usually what makes a whine.

Last edited by TurboIX; Aug 29, 2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

But again why would the TC be messed up from a Overrev?..
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TurboIX
But again why would the TC be messed up from a Overrev?..
the TC could have been shocked from the rpm flying up cause im sure the car shot forward pretty hard....

kinda like a rolling launch...

Cheers!
Old Aug 30, 2007, 01:52 AM
Account Disabled

He wont be able to check his OBDII. Unless his CEL is on. Even if it were on, it wouldnt say anything about the tcase or clutch parts.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

take it to the dealer
Old Aug 30, 2007, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GotBoOst05
take it to the dealer
That would not be the best idea. Not only will they possibly not warranty the repair for abuse but they will charge you an arm and a leg for stock parts when Shep can rebuild it much stronger than it ever was for less money.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 09:22 PM

did the same thing but had a Acura RSX ivtech. Was redlined at 8500 in 3rd gear and shifted as fast as i could into 2nd gear by accident. My cylinder exploded in my engine. The service tech told there was metal shaving in my engine oil. The regional rep for acura came down and gave me a long explanation of what happened. But he was cool and replaced everything, the whole engine. I would check your oil first or timing belt
Old Aug 31, 2007, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

So I was at the track and I miss-shift from 2nd to 1st. I was trying to put it in 3rd but it got stuck and it some how poped into 1st. I quickly put the clutch in and put in neutral.

After it happened I couldnt put it into gear. But after a little while it started going into gear but it wasnt as smooth as before. My problem however is this huge Whine!!. The Whine is louder then my exhaust, like a plane.

I had it checked out and my local shop says it's comming from the tranny...He said he spoted the noise and it wasnt the transfer-case or Engine.

is this normal for a overrev?...I would of thought the engine would go before the tranny...But he said the engine is fine. I should probably do a compression test just in case.

thoughts on this?
humm.. a whinee haa?? ive had this before and it was my transfer case. it was shot and had to by a new on for my 03 evo which i got rid of it. if that is the case gl. lol hope u find ur problem
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Whether or not you have symptoms, you could have also overstressed your stock rod bolts. The stress from significantly exceeding your redline is not very good for factory strength hardware. If you did, and you don't replace them, in a few hundred or thousand miles you'll get a unexpected rod knock and then get to rebuild (if you're lucky) or replace your motor.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:35 PM

So I was at the track and I miss-shift from 2nd to 1st. I was trying to put it in 3rd but it got stuck and it some how poped into 1st. I quickly put the clutch in and put in neutral.

After it happened I couldnt put it into gear. But after a little while it started going into gear but it wasnt as smooth as before. My problem however is this huge Whine!!. The Whine is louder then my exhaust, like a plane.

I had it checked out and my local shop says it's comming from the tranny...He said he spoted the noise and it wasnt the transfer-case or Engine.

is this normal for a overrev?...I would of thought the engine would go before the tranny...But he said the engine is fine. I should probably do a compression test just in case.

thoughts on this?
might be your shift linkage or 1-2 shift synchro...it could be causing the 1-2 shift synchro to not engage fully creating gear chatter..thats best case scenario...ive never heard of it sounding like a plane tho..definatly get the tranny checked out
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:13 AM

get that sh*t checked out right away