Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So I overreved..what did I break?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2007, 01:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I overreved..what did I break?

So I was at the track and I miss-shift from 2nd to 1st. I was trying to put it in 3rd but it got stuck and it some how poped into 1st. I quickly put the clutch in and put in neutral.

After it happened I couldnt put it into gear. But after a little while it started going into gear but it wasnt as smooth as before. My problem however is this huge Whine!!. The Whine is louder then my exhaust, like a plane.

I had it checked out and my local shop says it's comming from the tranny...He said he spoted the noise and it wasnt the transfer-case or Engine.

is this normal for a overrev?...I would of thought the engine would go before the tranny...But he said the engine is fine. I should probably do a compression test just in case.

thoughts on this?
Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it prolly GRINDED really bad. The teeth might be a little messed up on the gear itself. does this sound happen in all the gears??

i would call it an overrev. what you did was shift into a VERY low gear when going way too fast than the gear can handle. I would also think that the engine would be fine.

Worse case is you prolly need to rebuild the gear or replace it.....shouldnt be too bad..
Old Aug 28, 2007, 03:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm, dynoflash just did the same exact thing, and he bent a couple of valves and the sheared off another internal motor part as well.

But sounds like your situation is different. I was thinking transfer case as that screams when its on it s last leg.

I would call Shepherd Racing and see what they say/think...they will know what to do.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

That happened to me when I first got this car, but it was from 3th to 2nd . Damn that scared the crap out of me...........But anyways, there was no such after affect for myself....Sorry man.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
ive done that before and i just coasted down the road for a little while and i didnt have a problem either. sorry man hope its nothing big
Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

I would do what someone else said earlier and call Shep. Racing because we all know that they know their stuff. However, if you went from 2nd back to 1st then Im sure your engine was screaming and you were at the track so your WOT. If first gear redlines at 41 mph at 7k and 2nd gear redlines at 60 at 7k then I would imagin your neddle shot to maybe 9k or so. I so wish you the best and hope everythings ok.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

has anyone heard of a trranny making a whine sound kind of like the death whine?

Because that's what I got...Shep told me it could be the transfercase, but my mechanic said it wasnt.

I dont know I've never heard of a tranny making a death whine..Maybe My mech is wrong.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Man that sucks dude. That same exact thing happened to me at the track. I went from 2nd to 1st and pulled out really quick and went to 3rd. I guess I got lucky. Wish you would have been so lucky.

Your mechanic may be wrong. What I would do is take it to another shop for another opinion. Same thing you do when going to the doctor!

Good luck! Hope it's not too expensive for you.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TurboIX
has anyone heard of a trranny making a whine sound kind of like the death whine?

Because that's what I got...Shep told me it could be the transfercase, but my mechanic said it wasnt.

I dont know I've never heard of a tranny making a death whine..Maybe My mech is wrong.

Mine made a whining sound when i partially stripped my 4th gear. i kept driving home about 2 miles from when it happened by the time i got there the whine was gone, along with the gear lol completley stripped the gear.

I suggest no driving it or the teeth will disperse everywhere and cause you more problems

Cheers!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

id call the experts and see what they have to say...shep or TRE
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

why dont you drain the tranny fluid and check for large metal peices on the drain plug.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor

call shep 9 times out of 10 he gets the tranny back to you by the promised day or sooner...

I had 1-5 replaced, the tranny sat in his shop for 3 days.. got there monday morning was back with fedex wedesday evening.

He said a week, i expected two.

Cheers!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

same thing happened to me but my car is fine.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:20 PM

check your OBDII
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:10 PM
Former Sponsor

update?

Quick Reply: So I overreved..what did I break?