Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Water Wetter Review

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Water Wetter Review

Not sure if anyone has already done this yet so if this is a repost then i apologize.
Well I recently ordered my Samco radiator hoses and when they came in I figured it would be best to not just change the hoses but to flush my radiator as well. So I remove the hoses, drain all of the fluid out of the radiator, flush it and then put on my new pretty blue hoses . I double check to make sure that they are secure and then add fluid (Prestone 50/50 w/Dex Cool). Well I wen't to NOPI this past weekend in MD and needless to say is was hotter than you know where and as we all know, the cooler your car runs, the better it performs. Well a good buddy of mine suggested that I use Water Wetter to help keep my car cooler and run more efficient. So I pick some up, go home, let the car cool down and then drain some more fluid. I added the entire bottle of water wetter (and some more fluid becuase I drained to much ) and have been driving the car for a few days now and all I can say is wow. This stuff really works . Just looking at the stock temp gauge you can see a difference in temp and my car feels like it is running a little smoother as well. I am satisfied with the results. Sorry to drag the post out but I had too.
Also, is anyone else using this product or royal Purple's?
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
While I hope it does indeed work for you keep an eye out for waxy build up in your radiator and overflow. It put a nice coat of nastiness through mine that took quite some time to get out.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

I havet experienced that yet^, not saying i wont though.....
Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

yes water wetter effect cannot be disputed, it does work. but heres another flaw in what u did, why bother with water wetter when you have room to go even cooler? why are you running 50/50 mix? your ratio can be somewhat more water and you're temp will go even lower without any danger of it freezing (virgina gets cold in winter but not THAT cold)

oh by the way (incase u dont know) please dont pour any water in there. distilled water only!

oh and for anyone who got residue from water wetter is because they are lazy to change the radiator fluid. using water wetter requires you to flush the radiator much more frequently then with conventional mixtures.

Last edited by mifesto; Aug 28, 2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

so you are saying you will have lower temps with more water? You'd think water would hold heat more than a mix will.......Hey Ill try it.....im game lol
Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

I did:

Engine Coolant Capacity: 6.3qt & 0.69qt in reserve tank = 6.99qts
1 quart = 0.25 gal

1 bottle Water Wetter (12 oz) = 0.375 quarts
1 quart 100% Antifreeze/Coolant
5.62 quarts Distilled Water (1.40gal)

Total= 6.99 quarts
Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by mifesto
yes water wetter effect cannot be disputed, it does work. but heres another flaw in what u did, why bother with water wetter when you have room to go even cooler? why are you running 50/50 mix? your ratio can be somewhat more water and you're temp will go even lower without any danger of it freezing (virgina gets cold in winter but not THAT cold)

oh by the way (incase u dont know) please dont pour any water in there. distilled water only!

oh and for anyone who got residue from water wetter is because they are lazy to change the radiator fluid. using water wetter requires you to flush the radiator much more frequently then with conventional mixtures.

Not changing coolant in 10k is lazy eh? Anyway, I use a gallon of Prestone 50/50 topped off with distilled with great success here in Texas. Just keep an eye on your reservoir for build up inside of it. If it's in there it will be pretty obvious.

Best of luck,
Josh
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

well mitsuorder, u didnt post mileage on urs nor do i care about ur specific situation. FACT: water wetter will deteriote much faster then any radiator/water solution.
going 50/50 mixture in texas doesnt mean you will overheat, mitsu already took into account when they designed the radiator size and fan capacity. but they also took into account the whole country with its big variations in weather.

SpeedJunkyz: yes water is MUCH more effective then antifreeze. antifeeze was never meant to cool better, its simply meant to freeze at a lower temp and also contains antirust agents.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

honestly this isnt my opinion that needs to be disputed.. this is really fact more water in mixture = lower temp. if anyone here is too thick headed to do own research beyond the "typical" 50/50 mixture, go ahead by all means... u will be fine either way. dont really feel like argueing/debating.... i just informed simple facts. i never gave opinion here. done.

Last edited by mifesto; Aug 28, 2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doesnt royal purple make a similar product?
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Calm down buddy. We're all trying to help here.

As stated above I one cannot stress the importance of using only distilled water if diluting coolant mixture or just topping off the radiator. I've seen the mineral build up that will accumulate in a radiator when tap water is used and it's pretty rough. Now just imagine what is being left behind in the coolant passage ways through the block and head...
Old Aug 28, 2007, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

How do you go about cleaning the water reservoir?
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

ALOT OF RINSING WITH HOT WATER lol.....^

Maybe even brake cleaner shaken not stirred in there couple times........Time also is a factor HAHA
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

the problem with water wetter is that its alcohol based...so yes it will keep you at lower temps (ex: mixed with only water it will keep your temp cooler than if you were only running water) however it evaporates out over time AND is known to eat aluminum radiators despite what they claim

there is a product called 40 Below by ProBlend (they are actually based about 30 minutes from me) and we have tested it and it actually keeps the temp lower, doesnt evaporate and will stay until you drain and flush the system, and will not corrode or eat away at the aluminum. its the only product i would use in my radiator....but i havent had problems with the temp in the evo so i dont use anything additional
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MajorPayne
the problem with water wetter is that its alcohol based...so yes it will keep you at lower temps (ex: mixed with only water it will keep your temp cooler than if you were only running water) however it evaporates out over time AND is known to eat aluminum radiators despite what they claim

there is a product called 40 Below by ProBlend (they are actually based about 30 minutes from me) and we have tested it and it actually keeps the temp lower, doesnt evaporate and will stay until you drain and flush the system, and will not corrode or eat away at the aluminum. its the only product i would use in my radiator....but i havent had problems with the temp in the evo so i dont use anything additional
So thats why my fluiddyne radiator in my 1G failed. Crap wish I would've known about that sooner

Quick Reply: Water Wetter Review