Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Burnt up clutch EVO IX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burnt up clutch EVO IX

Atleast that's what the dealer said. A few days ago I got the oil changed, and it was driving normal, pulled out of the driveway yesterday and all my gears were catching further out on the clutch, so I tested in 5th and sure enough it felt exactly like the clutch was slipping, so I immediately took it in and left it overnight.

I've had my car roughly 3.5 months, and been out of town for 3 weeks of that, and put just over 4400 miles on my new car. I've been driving standards for well over a decade and only once before, on a 1980 Honda which was one of my first cars, did I have the clutch slip. So I know what it felt like.

So, the dealership calls me today and said they had their District Warranty Manager stick a pinhole camera in it and verified that it was "normal wear and tear" and that it would not be covered under warranty. That it would cost $1354+tax for them to replace the clutch, 358$ for the 3 part clutch assembly and 80$/h@10h labor. The one stipulation they gave was that if they got it apart, and it was infact a defect, they would cover it, something I don't even think I should be having to take a chance on.

Honestly I think after 4400 miles there should be no way that the clutch should wear out that fast, I would think my tires would of worm out far before the clutch as I don't drag it, don't ride the clutch, and never burn/launch it, I got it for it's manuverability, not for drag racing.

So far I've talked with the Service Manager, whom I requested talk with the dealership owner, and I've put in a case with Mitsubishi Corporate. At this point it's looking grim. I was hoping I could get some advise here from fellow Evo owners. I'm willing to try and replace it myself, but honestly don't think I should have to considering it only has 4400 miles. Any advise is appreciated, thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

one big factor ..... is the car modded at all ? If so, You're pretty much SOL.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck with getting it warrantyd. I've only seen a hand full of people that got the dealer to do it.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't you go with an exedy clutch.The stage ones usually go for about I think 500-600.OEM stuff is always gonna cost an arm and a leg at the dealer.Take it to a performance shop cause Im sure they will be a bit cheaper.I have about 13K on my car and the clutch slips a little on the initial take off in 1st but after that its perfect.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:20 PM

If you do need a new clutch and they won't fix it under warranty don't let the dealership do the work.Where in tx. are you located?
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Considering his car has about 4400 miles, I would say it's BONE STOCK! I think most EVO members on here who have gone in for warranty (not including the ones that damange their EVO's and try to get warranty repair) can tell you that it's one hell of a battle to get your local dealership to cover ANYTHING! I say fight it till the end! Call the BBB and file a report, get as much help as possible! That seems to be Mitsubishi's best line "If we take it down, and it is a defect, well cover it, otherwise your responsible" I got one of those from my local dealership but it wasn't for the clutch. Good luck!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

I was told when I purchased mine that the clutch was warranteed to 12,000 miles, but dealers will tell you anything these days.

Call around to other dealers and see what they say. The warrantee guys could be shafting you.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by broddey
I was told when I purchased mine that the clutch was warranteed to 12,000 miles, but dealers will tell you anything these days.

Call around to other dealers and see what they say. The warrantee guys could be shafting you.

that is new to me... i would think if they found somthing else that prematurely wore out the clutch then maybe consider it... if you find somthing out for sure let me know... kinda of curious
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

mine went out at 4500 miles,it cost me about $1000.Although i ha d a performance shop do the install.The dealership agreed to not void the transmission warrenty on the transmission.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
man i have 21000miles on my car and i have raced the shoot out of it i have even done 7000rpms launches and my clutch is still holding
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RAZOREXPRESS
mine went out at 4500 miles,it cost me about $1000.Although i ha d a performance shop do the install.The dealership agreed to not void the transmission warrenty on the transmission.
OR SO YOU THINK they didn't
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

oh man that really sucks. you could always take it to a different dealership and get their opinion about it, whether or not it should be warrentied.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:27 PM
Account Disabled

I'll be honest. I know about 6 people with evo 9's and about 12 with evo's in general. I haven't seen one that was driven properly loose the clutch, ever.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
someone drove it hard before u bought it probally a lot attendent........
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:40 PM

Stock, no mods. I'm located in the DFW area. Had 12 miles on it the day I drove it off the lot. Thanks for all the replies so far.