Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Drive Shaft Vibration in the Rain ... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
/\ hmmm...I will check this out tonight. Someone take a picture and post it before I do..
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar problem also only that this happens in the rain or if I run over puddle only if the a. c. is on. When the a. c. is off, the car's fine.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

same problem here. Only in rain. I thought my o2 sensor is hitting my bottom panels but guess not after reading this thread.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

I use to get this as well. I think mine started happening after I did the CEL fix on a bad cat. Mine has since stoped thought but I know what you guys are referring too. Its a pronounced vibration that if i remeber correctly that happens under engine load. It shook the passenger seat more than it did the driver seat, or altest thats what it sounded like.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Happened to me for the first time today.... has to be some issue with the catback... I never had the problem with my old HKS but now with my new exhaust I just experiensed it. Something to do with the resonators hitting the driveshaft
Old Sep 4, 2007, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it ONLY happen to cars on lowering springs or coilovers? I have the coilovers. Does it happen to anyone on stock height suspension? Why would you get the noise/vibration ONLY in the rain?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

i have the same problem..only when the AC is on, in heavy rain it seems. It happened when i modified my exhaust for the qtp cutout. Probably vibration related.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Ah ha!! I have the QTP cutout also!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:14 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

This thread is too funny. I had this problem for a while, but it went away after swaping in my v-band buschur TBE. I never got a chance to investigate. It was the most annoying thing ever.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Does it ONLY happen to cars on lowering springs or coilovers? I have the coilovers. Does it happen to anyone on stock height suspension? Why would you get the noise/vibration ONLY in the rain?
Stock ride height and happens to me.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

I'd be willing to bet $1 all of you have an HKS catback or an exhaust that copied the HKS design and they put the resonator in the wrong place.

It's the HKS exhaust resonator rubbing agaisnt the carrier bearing thing on the drive shaft. No amount of adjustment is going to completely fix it. It's a flawed design and HKS should do something about it, instead they say you just need to adjust it more, the resonator is in the wrong place. Hammer it in so it doesnt rub or sell the POS.

I got rid of mine and will think twice about ever buying an HKS part again.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Sep 5, 2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

I'm still on stock dp, UR tp, and stock exhaust.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

it was happening to me as well, i had all stock exhaust and stock suspension

i recently installed a magnaflow 3"catback and havent heard this noise since
Old Sep 5, 2007, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nismogtr34
I'm still on stock dp, UR tp, and stock exhaust.
Your issue may not be the same issue that the OP is describing. Take it to the dealer if it's stock. In the case of the original poster with the HKS exhaust.. here's his problem. 1 finger of clearance is not enough, I had like 3/4" of clearance and mine still rubbed. I also noticed it did it much more in the rain but mine would rub going aorund corners sometimes as well as in the rain. It sounds like brakes dragging on the rotor or just a nasty metal to metal sound. I searched high and low and finally saw what was the problem when my car was on a lift. There are someone elses pictures but I experienced this as well. The part of the driveshaft in these pics is supposed to be black.. not bare metal. What's weird is that it didnt happen immediatly after putting the exhaust on the car, it waited about a month to start rubbing. Maybe it is a heat issue, either way I got rid of the HKS, got a Tanabe Concept G TBE and my issue is gone. For such an over priced exhaust (HKS) it should fit like a glove, instead of fitting worse than a ebay exhaust. Honestly I think the reason this hasnt come up before is everyone is too embarassed that they spent so much money for such a POS product. I was that way too for a while and now I just dont care. HKS exhaust is Junk, at least on my IX MR it was.

I called HKS and they insisted no fitment issue with their exhaust and told me I needed to loosen all the bolts and move it right. I had already dont that and told them so and they offered no other solution. If they would have put that resonator 6" back this wouldnt be an issue. Design flaw! my car is not lowered nor does lowering or not lowered affect the exhaust location.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Sep 5, 2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same problems with my HKS Hi power catback. The best thing to do is to just cut the resonator out and weld a 3" pipe in place. It wouldn't hurt to put a 3" flange on it too.

*I only did this because I bought mine used from another member here on EvoM

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft Vibration in the Rain ... HELP!