Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Drive Shaft Vibration in the Rain ... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good thing I saw this thread, This same thing happens to me too..I thought it was my DP hitting the T-Case again like it used to..but I got the fixed and this started happening in the rain.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it could be a number of things causing this rubbing of the driveshaft. In my case, i think installing the cutout may have slightly changed the angle of my exhaust which is now causing the rubbing noise in rain. It could also be my ****ty gen 1 invidia downpipe that fits like crap. Either way, at least we know its exhaust related
Old Sep 6, 2007, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

AWESOME!! I will go check, thanks for the photo. I have the RMR exhaust, bought it in '03. Never had the rain issue, till this year. Exhaust has been on and off alot this year and last, might have to adjust it some!

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Your issue may not be the same issue that the OP is describing. Take it to the dealer if it's stock. In the case of the original poster with the HKS exhaust.. here's his problem. 1 finger of clearance is not enough, I had like 3/4" of clearance and mine still rubbed. I also noticed it did it much more in the rain but mine would rub going aorund corners sometimes as well as in the rain. It sounds like brakes dragging on the rotor or just a nasty metal to metal sound. I searched high and low and finally saw what was the problem when my car was on a lift. There are someone elses pictures but I experienced this as well. The part of the driveshaft in these pics is supposed to be black.. not bare metal. What's weird is that it didnt happen immediatly after putting the exhaust on the car, it waited about a month to start rubbing. Maybe it is a heat issue, either way I got rid of the HKS, got a Tanabe Concept G TBE and my issue is gone. For such an over priced exhaust (HKS) it should fit like a glove, instead of fitting worse than a ebay exhaust. Honestly I think the reason this hasnt come up before is everyone is too embarassed that they spent so much money for such a POS product. I was that way too for a while and now I just dont care. HKS exhaust is Junk, at least on my IX MR it was.

I called HKS and they insisted no fitment issue with their exhaust and told me I needed to loosen all the bolts and move it right. I had already dont that and told them so and they offered no other solution. If they would have put that resonator 6" back this wouldnt be an issue. Design flaw! my car is not lowered nor does lowering or not lowered affect the exhaust location.

Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:33 AM

Has there been a conclusive finding to this issue, to those who don't have the exhaust touching the driveshaft. For me, now the vibration is even occuring in cold temprature.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I've had this issue in heavy rain/standing water or snow. Haven't checked my DS for signs of rubbing. I'm running a Fujitsubo RM01A (dual resonated) at stock ride height.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same problem in the rain drives me nuts and I'm stock height with gsc exhaust ..even after i adjusted it to get it off the driveshaft still does it ... kinda wondering if the driveshaft now could be out of balance from rubbing the exhaust for a week or two
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:19 PM

But that is the thing there is no sign of rubbing on the exhaust piping or anywhere else?? I just recently got my clutch replaced...and I do know they remove the DP and Cat, to install the clutch...now a new problem, my exhaust is making that noise/vibration/choking noise like it is raining in the dry weather.....hmmm I am putting it up on the ramps tonight to examine for improper alignment of the piping?? IDK
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:55 PM

Why only in the rain?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by kirradude1025
Why only in the rain?
In the rain, spray off of the tires will hit part and probably only one side of the hot exhaust and so it bends.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Had this problem also. Only when it was wet out. I figured the moisture from the rain was lubing the exhaust grommets enough to alow more sway in the system. switched to pollyurethane bushings throughout and never had the problem again.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Does it ONLY happen to cars on lowering springs or coilovers? I have the coilovers. Does it happen to anyone on stock height suspension? Why would you get the noise/vibration ONLY in the rain?
It happen to me today really bad, stock ride height, HKS Cabon Tit exhast.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

I would think the car lugs more in the rain and makes the exhaust shift more since it is lugging in a high grear. This is just a guess.