Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Drive Shaft Vibration in the Rain ... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive Shaft Vibration in the Rain ... HELP!

Ok I had an HKS TBE and JIC 3" downpipe installed on my EVO IX. If anyone has had this set up on their car please chime in cuz I'm going crazy!

The resonator pipe was dangerously close to the drive shaft knuckle and actually started rubbing. I had it adjusted and now there is about a fingers width gap between the pipe and shaft.

My unresolved issue: When it rains there is a vibration that occurs under the car... It initially sounded like something was dragging under the car. I've looked many times but have found nothing dragging and everything is bolted up nicely. I've turned off the car while driving to eliminate the possibility of it being a motor driven noise. But it still happens.

I am wondering if ANYONE has had a similar noise... it gets so loud at times that the whole car vibrates... it seems to be coming from the front and is not related to the drive shaft rubbing on the resonator pipe. I cant see anything else that is rubbing and have ZERO idea why it only happens during rainy conditions.

When I come to a rolling stop and then start driving again, the noise goes away and starts again .... during dry conditions there is no vibration.

Anyone... Anyone... Bueller??
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like something is still rubbing on the driveshaft....or the downpipe is vibrating on the strut bar. my vote is the downpipe vibrating

but that doesnt explain it only doing it in the rain....
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:39 PM

Yeah I'm stumped... i did some searching in the forums and found some other folks having the same issue...I'm wondering if my drive shaft is out of balance. I understand they have weights on them similar to wheel weights
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Well heres a theory that might be the case...

Do you think the resonator being too close to the knuckle heated it up then dried it out some how (eg. grease or lubricant) then now when it gets a little moist or wet from the rain the metal doesn't move so freely?? It might kinda "stick" the the other moving part.. u get what i'm trying to say?

Can you/have you tried to lubricate the knuckle?

Let us know if you do find out what it was..
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:47 AM
Account Disabled

I get the same vibration only when the roads are wet. I think it has something to do with the LSD. I have azeni rt-615s that don't grip very well wet, so I think it is slipping just enough to engage the LSD.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My car does the same thing. I have been trying to establish what the problem is for a long time. I am about to just remove the tie bars and see what happens the next time it rains.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:15 AM

Interesting idea! That could be very well the problem! I'll try lubricating it.

Originally Posted by syr00
Well heres a theory that might be the case...

Do you think the resonator being too close to the knuckle heated it up then dried it out some how (eg. grease or lubricant) then now when it gets a little moist or wet from the rain the metal doesn't move so freely?? It might kinda "stick" the the other moving part.. u get what i'm trying to say?

Can you/have you tried to lubricate the knuckle?

Let us know if you do find out what it was..
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by kmcconn9
My car does the same thing. I have been trying to establish what the problem is for a long time. I am about to just remove the tie bars and see what happens the next time it rains.
Hmmmm...I know I'm not the only one that this happens to. It all started when I got the TBE. I've been under the car and have talked to guys that have actually put their car on a lift and tried to simulate the issue with the car in gear.

There was report that the driveshaft moves pretty violently at higher speeds (as in out of balance) which could be the cause of the vibration... (like a tire being out of balance).

The noise I experience actually sounds like something is dragging underneath the car though
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mixmastermatt
I get the same vibration only when the roads are wet. I think it has something to do with the LSD. I have azeni rt-615s that don't grip very well wet, so I think it is slipping just enough to engage the LSD.
It could very well be an issue of increased torque to the LSD and something, somewhere being out of balance. Who the **** knows!? I would think that with as many people having this issue... someone would have come up with a solution at this point... Everyone I know is just "dealing with it."
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES!! I get the same thing, ONLY in the rain, when I get close to someone in front of me. I have acutally pulled over last heavy rain, and though I would see the whole front end dragging. It is wierd, and it feels like "Something terribly" bad is about to happen. LOL. Highway speeds in rain, is quite an interesting ride. I have NO undertray, does this happen if you have the undertray in place? I thought I was going nuts, but it now looks like a handful of us are in the same boat! Not sure what the noise is, but we need to figure it out.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Had the same problem but only in hard rain and standing water. It was one of the U-Joints hitting the center section of the pipe just in front of the rear end.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
YES!! I get the same thing, ONLY in the rain, when I get close to someone in front of me. I have acutally pulled over last heavy rain, and though I would see the whole front end dragging. It is wierd, and it feels like "Something terribly" bad is about to happen. LOL. Highway speeds in rain, is quite an interesting ride. I have NO undertray, does this happen if you have the undertray in place? I thought I was going nuts, but it now looks like a handful of us are in the same boat! Not sure what the noise is, but we need to figure it out.
I have the whole under tray in place and at first thought it was dragging too...its all bolted up and there is NOTHING dragging. After I had my TBE installed i noticed that the resonator was was close to the drive shaft and was actually "pinging" up against it at highway speeds so I adjusted it. I have had to pull over on many occasions... especially in the northeast where we've been getting some serious downpours.

I've turned the engine off during the peak of the noise to eliminate the possibility of it being a noise from the motor and it continues.

Something else thats interesting is that after I come to a four wheel stop and then RE Start the sound is gone until I hit more standing water on the road. I dont know if this is the LSD re setting itself and then kicking back in....**** im just brainstorming at this point
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Had the same problem but only in hard rain and standing water. It was one of the U-Joints hitting the center section of the pipe just in front of the rear end.
Whats your theory on the occurrence and what if anything did you do to correct it?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Thanks for that!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

move it

Originally Posted by bradw3488
Whats your theory on the occurrence and what if anything did you do to correct it?
loosen the bolts move the pipe to the right and re tighten it, you may have to use a large breaker and put some *** into it.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft Vibration in the Rain ... HELP!