Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Max Egt and Oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Egt and Oil pressure?

The question is what is the max and average for egt and oil pressure. This is for a dd IX. Around town and the track. I guess what is the safe range of these gauges. Just got boost, egt, oil pressure defi's done yesterday and they are pretty much the standard type gauges that people get but what is the reason behind them besides the obvious boost? Did searches by the way.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

On my defi my EGT's ussually run around 1500-1550 at about 80 on the highway. but the numbers all depend on which tube you put your egt probe on, how far from the head, and if your using an aftermarket header.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the response, probe is actually in the dp (buschur 3"). I am just curious what is too high of a temp and too high of oil press. psi?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

your egt probe is always suppose to be in the exhaust manifold. you need the reading before it goes into the turbo, for it to be after the turbo it is kind of useless.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

im am curious about the oil pressure sometimes mine drops right down to like 10 psi, this it at idle or right when i stop for a light.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fox2boost
im am curious about the oil pressure sometimes mine drops right down to like 10 psi, this it at idle or right when i stop for a light.
that's normal for the Evo, oil pressure at idle, once the car is hot is rediculously low, I forget the exact numbers, but the service manual states the limits, and the low side is around 7 psi IIRC. But on a cold motor, and rpm's around 3000, you'll see close to 90 psi with 10w30 motor oil. Once it warms up, it drops significantly. The point I'm trying to make is, it's a wide range, and very dependent on oil temperature. It's tuff to set the Defi gauge alarm to be meaningful since it's so temperature dependent. It's either going off at idle once warm, or it's not protecting you at all.

And on the EGT gauge.... if you have it mounted after the turbo, it's going to be hard to draw comparisons about what is the proper temperature range. Like someone else posted, it should be pre turbo, and even then, it's going to be car setup/ tune specific and hard to pinpoint the proper range with datalogging your individual setup.

Last edited by dubbleugly01; Aug 29, 2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
that's normal for the Evo, oil pressure at idle, once the car is hot is rediculously low, I forget the exact numbers, but the service manual states the limits, and the low side is around 7 psi IIRC. But on a cold motor, and rpm's around 3000, you'll see close to 90 psi with 10w30 motor oil. Once it warms up, it drops significantly. The point I'm trying to make is, it's a wide range, and very dependent on oil temperature. It's tuff to set the Defi gauge alarm to be meaningful since it's so temperature dependent. It's either going off at idle once warm, or it's not protecting you at all.
+1 to that...
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:00 PM
Account Disabled

Install the egt temp probe at the 2 runner of the exhaust manifold.

Yeah, don't worry about the oil pressure being low, especially when the oil is hot.