Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

trunk bike rack with wing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trunk bike rack with wing?

has anyone with a "normal" spoiler used a trunk bike rack? i know people have used roof racks and hitch racks for bikes and through searching saw mention of people using trunk racks but it didn't specify if they were wingless or not. the reason i'm looking for a trunk rack is because they're significantly cheaper than doing a roof rack with having to purchase the cross bars and the mounts separately. thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:17 PM

I don't think any trunk rack out there is going to fit over the evo wing. Saris makes a rack that goes over many wings but no way will it fit the Evo. You have spent alot of money on your Evo. If you really want to haul bikes with the car do it right and buy a roof rack.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

it works. i've used one many many times, it actually goes under the wing, not over it.

the one i used was the saris bone 2 bike rack. the only thing i didn't like was the rubber feet leave a good mark on the truck ,and on the bumper. it doesn't come off with a wash, it requires a buff to come out. that being said, the straps don't like a stiff car like the evo either. i had a case very recently where i hit a rather large bump in the road and one of the straps came loose (it was even double knotted). both bikes on the rack almost touched the ground.

i now have a hitch and a thule 2 bike hitch rack on my evo. roof racks are retardedly expensive... i've had one on every car i've owned up until the evo, only because i worked at a bike shop and got it all half off (plus many of the parts are compatable from one car to the next... you just need new feet).
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

i was definitely thinking under, not over. are the marks common among different brands or is that something fairly unique to that specific rack? i didn't really think about the stiff ride being a factor but i'll keep that in mind. do you think all racks would work as they go back beyond the rear edge of the trunk before going up for the most part?

i was thinking of this rack http://www.rei.com/product/753086 . i think eventually i'll get a roof rack but i just spent $330 on a bike so spending more than that for a roof rack makes no sense since i'm also still just sort of trying out the hobby. i know i can fit 1 bike in the back seat but if i go with my gf her bike won't fit so i'm looking into other economical options. also if it's simple to mount like a trunk rack we can go back and forth with her car or my car easily
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

i got my hitch from a buddy for free. bolted right in no problem. the hitch rack was regular 199, but REI had a 20% off this week. i just got it last friday for 160.

and i know the feeling, i have a 3,000 dollar bike, and my girlfriend rides my old race bike, which overall cost more then mine :O i should be using nothing but a roof rack, but the hitch rack seems to do what i want it to do. putting it to the test this weekend. driving to colorado to do some biking

edit* oh and in your case, if both your front and rear wheels have quickrelease hubs, you can fit one bike in the back seat, and one in the trunk. i've had 4 bikes on my car. 2 inside, and 2 on the trunk rack which i no longer use :P

Last edited by KevinD; Aug 29, 2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

all wheels on both bikes have a quick release but i've never taken off the back one cause it looks scary with all of those gears and stuff back there if you take the rear off you don't need to readjust everything right?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:47 PM

If you carry the bike in the backseat, how do you keep the crap on the chain off your interior (even though I clean it every month)? I'm really curious, cause my race bike never rides in the Evo.

As far as removing the rear is concerned, it's really not a big deal - it will just kinda pull out, although you have to hold the 2-sprocket part out so you can pull the sprockets free. Putting the wheel back is should be just as easy - just hold the same part out so the chain clears the sprockets on the wheel. Oh, and be sure to pull out the lever on the brake caliper (assuming you have a road bike, if you have a mountain bike just pull out the J-shaped tube from the cage) so the tire clears the brake pads. That's also assuming you have rim brakes and not discs.

Last edited by a_gray_evo; Aug 29, 2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by a_gray_evo
If you carry the bike in the backseat, how do you keep the crap on the chain off your interior (even though I clean it every month)? I'm really curious, cause my race bike never rides in the Evo.
Lay it down on an old blanket.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

I have a Hollywood brand trunk mount, and it definitely goes under the wing. Never heard of the name brand, but it's made in L.A., and I bought it at a local bike shop, so I could fit it on the car before buying. Like someone else posted, it will leave scuff marks in the paint at the frame rub points. I put a couple pieces of clear packing tape over the paint to keep the rub down, and it worked. But you'll need to replace the tape on occasion. Once the adhesive gets sun baked over time, it's a real bit&h to get off.

I've carried two mountain bikes on trips up to 150 miles each way, with no issues of bikes trying to come lose and fall off.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a solution for the rubber marks on the trunk and bumper. If I had one I would put a transparent vinyl in those two spots, you can always remove them and voila, no buffing needed.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:05 PM

I have a similar scuffing issue with my zip-tied to the front bumper license plate and I use scotch tape to cover the paint-to-plate interface. You have to replace it pretty often, but it looks like the adhesive comes off clean (note that my Evo spends most of its time in the garage as opposed to real weather, so YMMV). That might be better than packing tape just because the adhesive isn't as likely to stay on your car, but I'm just speculating.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 06:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by a_gray_evo

hahaha i don't the back seat is the only place i trusted my bike for a while. WAAAAAAY to much money hanging off the back of the car by 6 straps that anyone could walk away with . besides, its an evo. the seat backs are plastic, the chain rings have scuffed the seat backs, the handlebars also have scuffed the seat backs. dirt, grim, and chain lube has gotten in the back seat. but i don't really care. once a year or so i steam clean the interior and it cleans up fine. if i drove a Mercedes or something with a decent interior, then i would be putting the bike somewhere else
Old Aug 30, 2007, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

i personally wouldnt be hauling anything on my evo. i recall reading somewhere say we should not haul anything with them. i'll keep it a sport compact and not a 93 volvo station wagon.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 07:07 AM
Former Sponsor

my bike(s) together weigh less then a small child. i'm not exactly hauling a lot of extra weight :P
Old Aug 30, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

i'll try to refrain from hauling as well. the bike weighs less than when what i bring back from the grocery store so i think i'll be ok

Quick Reply: trunk bike rack with wing?