Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tilton Twin on the street, no thanks!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh man... Stay away from the ACT Xtreme. It's great at holding power but driving it around, especially with hills and in the city with NYC traffic I might add; is just annoying. For one the pedal is much harder than stock and if you don't adjust it correctly it'll kill your transmission (but thats with any clutch I suppose). Also, the clutch plate material is about if not exactly the same as the stock clutch so in essence it won't last any longer than the stock clutch.

Sometimes I hit myself for not getting the Exedy or Cusco Twin (haven't really found the difference between them as far as parts go and operational differences). The shop that I went to charged me $1700 for the ACT Extreme, street-lite flywheel and installation (yes, I over-paid ) When I could've payed a little more to get the Exedy Twin HD and right before the price raise. Yes! I feel so good about myself right now!

In-short I'm stupid and stay away from the ACT it's just not worth the price-tag, and def get the Exedy Twin HD or Cusco Twin Disk(doesn't really matter).

Last edited by timmiii; Oct 16, 2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 07:33 AM

after running a quartermaster twin i'll never go back to a single disk again.

the disk material is also important...and while the metallic material holds more power...its not as forgiving.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RSGuy
dude my xtreme act w/street disk is just SICK! I love it so much. No high-rpm lockout either. Perfect for a DD but can hold 550ft/lbs + and the engagement is, dare I say, better than stock.
I run an ACT HD w/ street disc on my car and so far so good no slip at all and we put down 527 HP and 400 TQ on a Mustang Dyno

Once this goes i'm contemplating running either the HD w/ a 6 puck sprung disc or switch to an x-treme w/ a street disc.

I too am debating an Exedy Twin but the price tag for those clutches is a bit much

I'll wait and see what happens when we get closer to 600HP on our dyno and more track passes at this current HP level.

So far verry happy w/ the ACT as many are likewise in the DSM world.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 01:28 PM

another factor is the clutch's ability to absorb shock from launching/high rpm shifts etc.

a twin/triple setup is going to put less shock through the driveline which ultimately makes our cars more reliable.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:33 PM

Does Mcleod make a street twin for the EVO? I've been really happy with their setup in a chevy LS1 t56 combo... Modulation is easy, the pedal feels stock, but when it hooks it grabs hard.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the exedy twin drives like stock... it makes a littttttle bit of noise but nothing like the tilton..

the tilton gets super loud when decelerating.... i've now driven 2 cars with the tilton and i dont look forward to it at allllll!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03EVO583
The sprung hubs are mainly designed to absord the harmonics/vibrations creted by the engine firing, which would travel to the transmission and cause noise. No damage is created by the solid hubs, only increased transmission noise.
uh.... no..... the main reason for a sprung hub is to minimize driveline shock. Dampened crank pulleys are for harmonics. Some would argue this point, but you don't build a clutch to absorb harmonics, that's not it's main function. Whereas it is the main function of a dampened crank pulley.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chet
another factor is the clutch's ability to absorb shock from launching/high rpm shifts etc.

a twin/triple setup is going to put less shock through the driveline which ultimately makes our cars more reliable.
explain this logic please, I don't understand????

Are you saying a twin/triple has more "slop" in it, and isn't capable of transferring power as quickly as a single? The only way to transfer less shock to the driveline s to absorb some of the torque within the clutch, either by slippage or other, no? Why would a twin/triple put less shock on the driveline? I would think it's more of a function of the friction material used, and whether the hub(s) are sprung, but not a function of a single vs twin vs triple arrangement.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 05:29 AM

obviously this is all clutch dependent...but speaking in general terms...

first, twin and triple disk clutches have more surface area which allows them to hold more power with less relative clamping force compared to a heavy duty single disk clutch. anyone who has ever driven a dsm/evo with a heavy duty single can attest to the on/off nature of the clutch...and how unforgiving they are during launches or high rpm shifts.

the type of material and weight of the clutch disks both play a role as well. semi-metallic disks vs organic disks...etc...

its interesting to see the evo community (who generally has more money) run more expensive clutches and the dsm community (with less money usually) still run the tried and true act 2600 etc...and there is a reason for it. new technology simply makes our cars shift better and last longer.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i live in seattle and i drive my evo with a tilton cermatalic every day. it gets easier just stick with it
Old Oct 17, 2007, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newimportowner
No way dude.
+1 on that. You may get some decel chatter from the exedy but it's no more difficult than stock to drive.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Have the exedy twin disk hd and i love it. it's really not that noisy at all
Old Oct 17, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

I am close to 2yrs daily driving my tilton everyday as well. I am very used to it now. The only issue is that I am the only one that can street my car. Everyone else that does has trouble. Its not an easy clutch to drive at all and I have gotten to the point lots where I was gonna say screw it and go exedy tripple. I love my clutch now. You will get used to it believe me. And yes there are tons of hills here in Tucson....

good luck!
PJ
Old Oct 17, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

has anyone ever tried the spec clutch?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

I recently had the same problem after the installation of the twin disc hybrid. With a little clutch pedal adjustment, it is significantly easier to daily drive.