Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tilton Twin on the street, no thanks!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tilton Twin on the street, no thanks!

well, its been about a month with the tilton twin cerametallic & i am getting sick of it. i know others have stated that this clutch is usable as a daily driver, but im beginning to wonder just how often they really drive it & what they have as far as hills where they live.....

dont get me wrong, this is one of the most streetable "Race" clutches i have ever driven, & it has THE smoothest high rpm shifting. its just that driving it every day in traffic & living in a geographic area that is anything but flat is getting to me. & im starting to feel the trade off in drivability & noise are not worth it.....

i know its not my skills as i have driven MANY cars with all types of clutches, as well as getting almsot 50k out of my stocker (wich would have kept going but wasnt up to 450+ ft/lbs)

im leaning towards a exedy twin as id like to stay with a twin for the increased grip / service interval. im thinking the increased mass as well as larger floater & sprung hubs, should help the drivability.... though my budget & common sense are telling me i should just go with an ACT single disc combo.......

anyone looking for a low milage tilton twin? lol...... PM me!
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

exedy twin is going to be just as noisy. ACT single is the one to go with if you want something that truly is streetable (noise level is almost identical to stock)
Old Aug 31, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

dude my xtreme act w/street disk is just SICK! I love it so much. No high-rpm lockout either. Perfect for a DD but can hold 550ft/lbs + and the engagement is, dare I say, better than stock.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

im glad i saw this as im bout to get a tilton, ill b in the 600 hp range whats a alternative clutch to the tilton. i dnt know if the ACT will handle that
Old Aug 31, 2007, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

600hp isn't 600ftlb of torque though.... prolly in the mid to high 400's ftlb. i would imagine the ACT xtreme would take it...
Old Aug 31, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my exedy twin really isn't that noisy. it seems to vary from car to car. and i love driving it on the street. traffic isnt really a problem. i personally think my exedy feels the way stock should have been.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
exedy twin is going to be just as noisy. ACT single is the one to go with if you want something that truly is streetable (noise level is almost identical to stock)
i would have thought the same, given that they are both similar designs......

but .....a friend of mine had an exedy twin for sometime & i can say for certian the tilton is noticably louder. probably due to the exedy's sprung hubs

thanks for the info though
Old Aug 31, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

I daily drive with my tilton and don't have any problems taking off from a stop. Have you had your car retuned since you had the clutch installed. I had to play around a little with my tune to keep it from stalling with the low inertia of this clutch. My biggest problem with it is the vibration and PO300s I keep getting at highway speeds. Other than the PO300s, I love this clutch and wouldn't trade it for anything.

-Paul
Old Aug 31, 2007, 03:01 PM

I have had an ACT Extreme, and now I have the Exedy HD Twin.

I must say with the ACT, it is quite a bit of difference from the pedal feel as far as how hard you have to press. For the Exedy, I wouldn't buy any other clutch now that I have it.

As far as how it is compared to what you have, I do get some chatter, but it is pretty rare. I have heard a few Tiltons that were just crazy loud.

Installation issues maybe?
Old Aug 31, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
I daily drive with my tilton and don't have any problems taking off from a stop. Have you had your car retuned since you had the clutch installed. I had to play around a little with my tune to keep it from stalling with the low inertia of this clutch. My biggest problem with it is the vibration and PO300s I keep getting at highway speeds. Other than the PO300s, I love this clutch and wouldn't trade it for anything.

-Paul

im running an AEM, self tuned.... runs great & never dies or dips in RPM, from cold to hot, idle part throttle & WOT is rock solid. checked some logs recently as well & it seems the EMS wasnt picking up much extra vibration/noise from the knock sensor

do you have many hillls where you live? i think it would be ok if i lived in Florida or somewhere in the midwest. but here in so-cal & particularly where i live it seems 60% of the stoplights are on uphill inclines
Old Aug 31, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

I love my exedy twin. You'll get used to the noise.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robdevo

Installation issues maybe?
installed it myself so im shure everything was done correctly

even upgraded it to the "new" style discs since it came with the old non hardened hubs
Old Aug 31, 2007, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlieGsanD
im running an AEM, self tuned.... runs great & never dies or dips in RPM, from cold to hot, idle part throttle & WOT is rock solid. checked some logs recently as well & it seems the EMS wasnt picking up much extra vibration/noise from the knock sensor

do you have many hillls where you live? i think it would be ok if i lived in Florida or somewhere in the midwest. but here in so-cal & particularly where i live it seems 60% of the stoplights are on uphill inclines
Mine continued to improve as I got more miles on it. I'd give it a little more time before you decide you definitely don't want it. The modulation became much easier after ~2000 miles.

-Paul
Old Aug 31, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

ok. well the act is so much cheaper than the tilton and the exedys, ys that?

Originally Posted by KevinD
600hp isn't 600ftlb of torque though.... prolly in the mid to high 400's ftlb. i would imagine the ACT xtreme would take it...
Old Aug 31, 2007, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cnoevol
ok. well the act is so much cheaper than the tilton and the exedys, ys that?
wait what? are you asking why twin disks are more expensive?