Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird shifter problem..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird shifter problem..

Ok, so tonight I messed up my car somehow. I never really get on it that much... and with it being Friday night, I felt the need for some needed spirited driving in this new cool weather. It was about 65 outside and felt GREAT and after a stressful day, I just wanted to relief myself with some runs. I JUST adjusted my clutch pedal and everything seemed great so far.. no high rpm lockout like i had been experiencing.

So I get on the hwy and I hit it in 3rd. Go to 4th and im loving this new shifting feel bc I was SO used to high rpm lockout. Go to 5th gear and thought I felt a grind. Slow down and go again. Going into 5th went in perfectly this time.

Then we go to exit the hwy. I go to pull 5th gear out of gear and all of a sudden, it felt like pulling the gear through mud! After pulling it into neutral, and kinda shaking the shifting around, it felt disengauged finally.

I pull into a gas station and begin testing at a stop and some street testing. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th shift PERFECT.

Going INTO 5th gear is also perfect. Trying to pull it out of 5th gear into neutral, it feels like shifting through mud. Now if I try to go to reverse, I have to somewhat force it in...not real hard, but enough to know your forcing it in. To pull out of reverse, its a little harder than pulling out of 5th, and then once I go to neutral, I have to kinda shake the shifter back and forth for it to be fully out.

There is NO grinding at all going into 5th, or coming out of 5th while driving, and no grinds going into reverse or out. Even with the car off, the mud feeling is still there which tells me it cant be the synchros.

I tried getting under the hood and looking at the bushing on top without removing the battery & it looked fine IMO... although that is the first time ive ever looked at it.

I removed the bushing that controls the side to side movement in the shifter tonight & greased the HELL out of it. I put it back in and it made the mud feeling go about 50% away. If I bring 1st gear, out of first into the neutral spot, and let go.... it shoots the shifter in the middle like normal, right? Right inbetween 3rd & 4th gear. Well, if I put it in 5th gear, and move the shifter down to neutral, let go, it just sticks there. It doesnt swing back over into the middle like it should. Same goes with reverse. If I move the shifter out of reverse still cocked to the right, let go, it just sticks there, with a very slight tap, it moves back over into the middle where it should be, inbetween 3rd/4th.

What is the deal here? I took off the panels and lubed every shifter piece beyond belief, and cleaned off all the old grease while I was at it! I even adjusted my clutch pedal back down & made no difference at all.

Not to mention, my clutch JUST started slipping today pretty bad. It was put brand new in, in April and never once have I had trouble. The clutch pedal is still VERY stiff and feels no different, but the RPMS as soon as boost hits jump way up and come back down. Its so weird how this can happen at the same time, unless its one problem with everything?

Last edited by CrackerJackToy; Sep 2, 2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep its definately slipping but as to why its catching no clue sound like somethings getting caught.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
your shift cables may be binding up internally, or you f'd the tranny. good luck.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Putting the entire car back to stock today/tomorrow. Then its dealer time.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Mine does the exact same thing with 11k miles on it. I wont know what the problem is untill it goes in for the dreaded 5th gear grind repair. BTW still on the stock clutch etc.