Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhaust leak in catback, how would you fix?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust leak in catback, how would you fix?

Ok I have a JIC SS catback on my car. I've had this exhaust on the car for over a year and absolutely love it! Anyways just recently I started to develop an exhaust where the midpipe meets the axle back. This is a slip fit connection. I tried to tighten up the clamp a little bit more and with barely any force I snapped the bolt in half. I repalced the bolt and tighted it pretty hard and the metal clamp started to bend, just where the bolt goes through. Well when all was said and done my exhaust still leaks. It leaks less than before but it still leaking in the same damn spot. I can feel just the slightest amount of exhaust gases passing through. Do slip fit exhaust always have a slight leak?
Old Sep 3, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

you could try getting a new clamp or you could also try putting a bead of permatex copper gasket maker on both side of the clamp. here is a pic of the gasket maker youll want to get

Old Sep 3, 2007, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I was actually thinking about using this as a last resort. I would put it on the clamp itself because all that does is squeeze the slip fit together. I would actually put a small bead on the smaller end of the exhaust that slips into the bigger end and then clamp it together. I guess I have no other choice but to try this.