Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My experience with my evo and sti

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
good deal, that all depends on someones taste, some people like the evo look some people dont, but i found out most of the time people go from subaru to an Evo than from evo to suby.

I must agree evo has stiffer handling but 06sti is more bulletproof.

On the other hand i like both cars.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the sti has a BEEFY gearbox and clutch. It's as close to bulletproof as they come. The mr's is a little more finicky and demands a little finesse to shift quickly.

The one thing I do not like is that you must go rotated with a fmic on an sti to make more than about 320-330 awhp. An FP Green 20G won't get you very far with a tmic here in AZ (100+ 6mo/yr), and fmic set ups in my experience kill the response the sti is known for, too much piping. I'm sure with a bigger turbo it'll spool nicely, but my opinion is that the intake and exhaust paths on the evo are superior, shorter and more efficient. Meth/alky sounds good on paper but not really when it comes to a DD.

It's great to hear people like damstr making great numbers with minimal mods.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to the evo family
You will enjoy your evo for sure.
I, too was once having a hard time deciding between the Evo and STi. All it take was a comparising on the road course. I brought home the evo the next day.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 03:12 PM

nice choice!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 03:41 PM

I like how the STi has that tradition and personality...like the STI logos all over; makes you proud of driving one. This all comes with a good [semi]detailed interior with the well placed gauges, colorful accents and STi logos/colors. The boxer rumble is sex, but I was talking to some friends this sunday at the autocross and they said it was the header....once you change the header on the STI it no longer has the boxer rumble, just another 4-banger note. Details are nice, but seats dont hug THAT much, and they car just feels sort of heavish even when it's parked and you are sitting in it...the hood scoop made me feel like i was sitting inside a mustang. It aint all that bad; actually pretty awesome until you seat in the EVOIX[MR] and feel the recaros hug you, grab the steering wheel with perfect shape and size, the stick shift it right there in the perfect position and the bland gauges just stare at you screaming "REDLINE ME!"...its just different and the Evo just has a better feel IMO.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

340whp on an exhaust, high flow cat, and tune. no fuel pump, no intake, no boost controller, no upgraded pipes, nothing. definitely do-able.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...4&d=1177821648

enjoy the car! the beauty of the evo, to me, is how far you can take the car with so few mods. you don't have to sacrifice reliability or drivability or durability because you can keep as many OEM parts as possible and there are engine and suspension tuners out there that can make the car extremely capable in a mature manner i.e. a car that you wouldn't worry to pack your family into at any given time beacause you know the car won't have some random problem/fault.

as close to OEM FTW!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 04:23 PM

^^+1 to that. I plan on mild mods to keep the car very streetable but quick in all aspects.

Yes, the boxer rumble is pure sex. It's the unequal length headers (stock) that contribute to the sound. On heavily modded rexes they usually go equal length headers which gives it a more in-line 4 sound.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 04:56 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RR06MR
Is there anything else that I can add for a more responsive throttle? I don't necessarily want anymore power mods, just ones to make the car a monster in the tight corners.
Think TME...
A quick search might bring up some info you might like.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:45 AM

As in Tommy Makinen 6.5?

If I remember correctly it had lighter wheels, other lightening mods (ie gutted), and a titanium compressor wheel that spools faster.

I know Buschur sells one at a pretty decent price but I think a grand can be better spent elsewhere. I am looking to make the stock 16g spool its' fastest, not replace it even though a few extra hp can be squeezed out of it.

I really would like to remove excess weight (spare, jack, tools, back seat, sound deadening, etc.) but for now it's my DD.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the bug-eye soob too. Didnt like the torque curve but it was a much better DD. Glad to hear you made the right choice
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

340whp can be done extremely easily as long as you are talking dynojet....

I read that your previous cars were on a DD.. if you want 340whp on a DD on the stock turbo (around 405-410whp dynojet) you will definitely need almost every bolt-on available plus alky or racegas and over 26psi... on 93 pump you can get around 310whp....
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:26 AM

^+1 exactly. Everyone keeps saying the tuning programs have been modified to correct the numbers, but you have to see it to believe it.

DD are definitely not for bragging rights. My 06 sti put down 280/300 and I put a beat down on a modded 993 turbo on the freeway from the bottom of 4th to the top of 5th. People always asked why I wasn't putting down 300+ to the wheels but I wasn't going to explain differences in dynos and correction factors. I actually liked the fact that people thought the car was weak until I took them for a ride.......dumbasses.

The bugeye torque curve was pretty flat until to fell flat on its face around 6k. Since it was about 200 lbs lighter than the evo it was fun to drive though. 215 awhp in a 3000 lb car is pretty fun.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RR06MR
I was hoping to do it with a full tbe, LICP, whatever intake is compaitble with the fmic, walbro, BC, and maybe some cams, and of course a reflash. I have read people making very good numbers with these mods.

Is a Boost Controller absolutely necessary? With the subies you didn't really need a bc because the ecutek pretty much took care of it.

Is there anything else that I can add for a more responsive throttle? I don't necessarily want anymore power mods, just ones to make the car a monster in the tight corners.

After I do the mods above I also really want to do a full port and polish of everything I can....afford.

Thanks guys, the subie guys are generally ****** and say to search everything. I know a little about evo's since I love rally and awd/turbo cars in general.

I am going to keep my IX until the wheels fall off, I have no choice because I am so upside down but do not regret it for one second.
MBC is needed for a tune for sure, make sure it's installed while tunining so you won't have any risky afr's. . .

you can reach that number VERY easy with a IX, I'm close to that with an VIII and minimal mods WITH a stock exhaust. . .PM me for mod list =)

I'd stick with TBE, drop in, TBE and tune - cams and head studs with an MBC will give you greater "area" under the curve. .welcome to the dark side. . .
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:48 AM

welcome to the club man
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:52 AM

Admin, how come no devil smiley?

muahahahahaha...the dark side is where i belong and am glad to meet others.